1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Norton Internet Security

Discussion in 'General Software' started by slayerusmaximus, Aug 16, 2008.

1. slayerusmaximus New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got what i think is a problem with my norton. Everytime it runs a full system scan, it scans over 3 MILLION files. 70 or 80 percent are in the e:\windows\installer\#######.msp files what is an .msp and how do i know if i can get rid of them because right now my scans take........ well actually ive never done a 100% scan cause it takes too long (hours upon hours)

stuff you might need to know:
    i have an external backup drive...maybe its reading files from that
    i have nero dvd recoder.... maybe ive saved a dvd to my harddrive or something

even with those ideas i dont think theres anyway a folder can have that many files!

so any help is appreciated

thanks in advance
  2. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well first I would get a different anti-virus, norton is terrible. Any of them will take a while for a full scan, longer depending on the size, fragmentation, and such of your hdd. How big is your hard drive?
    slayerusmaximus says thanks.
  3. slayerusmaximus New Member

Thanks Received:
    153 gb
  4. kyle2020 Guest

go AVG free, its fantastic, or try NOD32 or the likes. Norton, as stated, is terrible.
  5. das müffin mann

das müffin mann New Member

Thanks Received:
    avast, kaspersky, nod 32, and avg, the first and the last are free, the middle two you have to pay for but are WELL WORTH IT

dump norton as others have suggested
  6. slayerusmaximus New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for all the suggestions but the person that the comp belongs to probably wouldnt want to do that cause shes very afraid of freeware and stuff you dont have to pay for. so aside from DLing anything new, any ideas for fixing my current problem
  7. kyle2020 Guest

i cant see why there would be 3 million files . . . back everything up, fresh windows install methinks.
  8. slayerusmaximus New Member

Thanks Received:
    no way last time i did that i couldnt get my computer to restart in fact it still doesnt work (i got that problem where it says "loading windows" then it gets stuck at the black screen) but thanks for the suggestion

i did figure out what the .msd was

http://filext.com/file-extension/MSD

but i dont know what it means i couldnt find this file extension on microsofts website so i had to look around
  9. kyle2020 Guest

Sounds like somethings seriously wrong with the computer if you cant even do a safe fresh install . . . hmm sounds like it could be a bad harddrive, have you ran any diagnostic tools on it?
  10. slayerusmaximus New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for your concern but i neglected to mention that the computer i was talking about in my last post was a different comp but to answer your question - no
  11. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Go to the "Exclusions" section and just remove the folders that bug you.

I had to remove my database drive from the exclusion list because it was way too long to get trough it.