• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Now you can claim to play FPS games to improve your vision!

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Especially if you're a big fan of Unreal Tournament! :D

Unreal Tournament has been modded to treat amblyopia (Image: Epic Games)

It sounds like a teenager's dream: playing shoot-'em-up video games, on doctor's orders.

At the American Academy of Opthalmology's annual meeting in Orlando, Florida, a team led by Somen Ghosh of the Micro Surgical Eye Clinic in Kolkata, India, reported that video game therapy improved the visual acuity of 10- to 18-year-olds with amblyopia, or "lazy eye".

This comes hot on the heels of similar findings from a study of adults with the condition, published in PLoS Biology by a team led by Roger Li and Dennis Levi of the University of California, Berkeley. Even more impressive results may be on the horizon, as video games are combined with another approach, known as "perceptual learning".

Amblyopia occurs when the neural connections from one eye to the brain fail to develop normally. Over time, the brain reacts by ignoring the blurry input from this "weaker" eye.

The condition can be treated in childhood by patching the good eye and using visual training exercises to build the faulty neural connections - but the dogma has until recently been that little can be done after about the age of 9.

The idea of using video games stemmed from the discovery that expert gamers have unusually strong visual skills. Subsequent studies have shown that action games can improve contrast sensitivity in people with normal vision.

Ghosh's studies involved children and teenagers with amblyopia who received the standard treatment of patch, eyeglasses and visual exercises, with or without supplementary treatments. Even the group given just the basic treatment showed some improvement after one year - but those who were also instructed to play first-person shooter or driving games each day did noticeably better.

In adults, some of the best results in treating amblyopia have not used computer games, but instead trained people to distinguish blurry grey patterns known as Gabor patches. In 2004, a team led by Uri Polat of Tel Aviv University in Israel showed that this perceptual learning resulted in two-fold improvements to sufferers' contrast sensitivity.

But even Polat, who has recently applied a similar approach to treating the natural deterioration in close vision that happens with age, concedes that the exercises are a bit boring for teens.

So what about combining perceptual learning with gaming? That's now being tried by Levi's lab, in collaboration with a team led by Daphne Bavelier of the University of Rochester in New York.

The researchers have embedded Gabor patches into a modified version of the first-person shooter Unreal Tournament, which they are now testing as a treatment for amblyopia.

"You have to shoot at the patches," Bavelier explains. "If you don't they transform into nasty bots that are really difficult to kill.

New Scientists

D

Deleted member 67555

I knew it!!
I knew gaming was good for your eye muscles...
and DAMMIT we had to pay to have my Daughters lazy eye fixed...

Can't wait for the Lazy eyed Glaucoma study...LOL

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I knew it!!

is that were the introduce some funny cigs and games together LOL

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
I knew it!!

It might help me too. I recently had Bell's Palsy on the left side of my face, which has left me with a slight lingering weakness. Among it's various symptons and effects, it meant that I couldn't focus properly with my left eye. This is still true to this day, but it's less severe now. However, it does mean that I'm starting to develop a lazy eye, that I have to conciously correct, which oddly means that it's the right eye that's looking the wrong way. I really must get round to see the optician about this, who is likely to say they can't do anything about this. :rolleyes:

I hope your daughter gets better soonest. :toast:

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
so how'd they fix the lazey eye... ive usually been told theres nothing they can do... and the patch didnt work.

as for gaming ... i have noticed that i seem to respond to certain situations better than ppl who dont game... mostly when it comes to heavy traffic and idiots on the road lol

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
bs they cant fix it BUT they cant pull your eye out of the socket and shorten 1 muscle on the proper side to straight the eye, what this effectively does is keep the eye from wandering off, its more effective with say glasses, example i have amblyopia and my lazy eye fights the corrective nature of my lenses but by going through surgery when my glasses are on aka anytime im awake the eye remains straight its only with glasses off that it wanders about.

but yes typically theres no real way to fix lazy eye currently. for me it would require new eyes and neuro surgery to alter how my brain actually uses my eyes.

so yea TL DR no real fix but theres interesting ways to minimize the effects.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
so how'd they fix the lazey eye... ive usually been told theres nothing they can do... and the patch didnt work.

as for gaming ... i have noticed that i seem to respond to certain situations better than ppl who dont game... mostly when it comes to heavy traffic and idiots on the road lol

I handle driving very well. Today I've had a guy driving down the wrong side of the road coming right at me for a head on collision (to his credit, some large vehicle was parked on the other side of the road and I had just turned on), and I didn't even twitch. I just backed off the hammer, braked, let him go through and continued on... meanwhile my mom's flipping out. I've also had incidents on the freeway what with people slowing down, dodging in and out of lanes and such... like this one guy who flew up alongside me and moved in front of me in dense traffic (for a freeway). I just backed off the hammer, let him pass, and all was well.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
really?
i just feel kinda dizzy when i play FPS although for short time

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
really?
i just feel kinda dizzy when i play FPS although for short time

One possible reason is lag. I've noticed that too. If your system is laggy due to performance, mouse smoothing or monitor input lag, then it can induce dizziness.

System Name micropage7
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Case Icute Super 18
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win 7 64-bit
One possible reason is lag. I've noticed that too. If your system is laggy due to performance, mouse smoothing or monitor input lag, then it can induce dizziness.

yeah could be, thats why now i prefer stategy than fps. maybe my rig need tweak a little

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
yeah could be, thats why now i prefer stategy than fps. maybe my rig need tweak a little

Right, now I can give you a better answer (busy with work before). :)

While the stuff I mentioned previously can cause this, there's also lots of other possible reasons. The very first is that playing fps games triggers motion sickness in some people and there's nothing you can do about it, which is really unfortunate. Believe it or not, I can feel this a bit too and I play Unreal Tournament 2004 very fast and twitchy. If one has a bit of lazy eye or other visual condition then they can also feel disoriented.

Try the following to reduce all lag to see if lag is causing this for you:

- Force vsync off in the nvidia driver
- Run UT
- Turn off mouse smoothing
- Set the resolution and details so that the system is doing well over 200fps consistently. This is important
- Use a CRT monitor if at all possible. If you're on an IPS LCD monitor, then it's no good. A good, fast TN display is critical here. The problem is that all 60Hz LCD monitors have some noticeable lag to them, which can ruin this test. A 120Hz monitor would really help here :ohwell:

Move around the arena blasting bots and see how it feels - even just turning round with the mouse. With the system doing such high frame rates, lag will be reduced and screen tearing kept to a minimum.

If you don't have this game, you can pick it up for very little money nowadays and DRM-free from www.gog.com

Let us know how you get on.

System Name micropage7
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Case Icute Super 18
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win 7 64-bit
Right, now I can give you a better answer (busy with work before). :)

While the stuff I mentioned previously can cause this, there's also lots of other possible reasons. The very first is that playing fps games triggers motion sickness in some people and there's nothing you can do about it, which is really unfortunate. Believe it or not, I can feel this a bit too and I play Unreal Tournament 2004 very fast and twitchy. If one has a bit of lazy eye or other visual condition then they can also feel disoriented.

Try the following to reduce all lag to see if lag is causing this for you:

- Force vsync off in the nvidia driver
- Run UT
- Turn off mouse smoothing
- Set the resolution and details so that the system is doing well over 200fps consistently. This is important
- Use a CRT monitor if at all possible. If you're on an IPS LCD monitor, then it's no good. A good, fast TN display is critical here. The problem is that all 60Hz LCD monitors have some noticeable lag to them, which can ruin this test. A 120Hz monitor would really help here :ohwell:

Move around the arena blasting bots and see how it feels - even just turning round with the mouse. With the system doing such high frame rates, lag will be reduced and screen tearing kept to a minimum.

If you don't have this game, you can pick it up for very little money nowadays and DRM-free from www.gog.com

Let us know how you get on.
wow :eek:
thanks alot, im gonna check it out :toast:

D

Deleted member 67555

They do a minor surgery to weaken the muscles on the strong eye to force the weak eye to work harder....It's a simple out patient procedure....

I hope your daughter gets better soonest. :toast:
She was fully recovered within 8 days....The Dr. said the key is catching it ASAP...or they may have to do the surgery multiple times...

besides this she has had 7 other surgeries associated with Pierre Robin syndrome/stickler syndrome

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
a team led by Somen Ghosh of the Micro Surgical Eye Clinic in Kolkata, India, reported that video game therapy improved the visual acuity of 10- to 18-year-olds with amblyopia, or "lazy eye".

wow. i have this. and this guy is in my city. i probably went to this place.

Games improve reaction times and they do require your eyes some heavy lifting to stay "in the game". There is only one disadvantage. Fixed display range. You can't get around that. Maybe 3D will change that, but i doubt that eye will behave any different when viewing actual 3D image or 3D image on a flat surface like we do now.