1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nuked Windows and reinstalled it.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by trickson, Jan 29, 2012.

1. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    After much mental anguish and arguing with myself about this, I decided to nuke my HDD's and reinstall windows. It all started after installing the extra 4GB's of RAM, Random BSOD and windows freezing at boot up or locking up. Now after doing this fresh windows install so far nothing at all has happened, Well not nothing, I have seen and increase in performance. Yes Geek bench now went up too. The computer has not BSOD or froze or locked up at all. Steam now works fine, No longer giving me errors or locking up. Getting a better score in geekbench ( Though I would LOVE to test the 64bit side). Going to do some more testing later. But doing a clean install I have seen my computer more stable and faster, I guess some times it is good to nuke windows , Especially when adding more RAM.

old geekbench

New test in pic.

Attached Files:

qubit says thanks.
  2. Cybrnook

Cybrnook

Thanks Received:
    I guess congrats are in order? :cool:
    trickson says thanks.
  3. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Fresh installs are always nice.
    trickson says thanks.
  4. Synon Zelra New Member

Thanks Received:
    You nuked your HDD? So you gave up everything in it?
    As far as I know, there are more and more pieces of trash files in your HDD with the daily use, and a cleaning tool will help this out(certainly not as much as nuking). but I think just nuke the system disk will be enough.
    trickson says thanks.
  5. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Yep. In fact I first deleted the raid array rebuilt it then reinstalled windows.
    I use cleaning tools and defraged and every thing. After installing 4 more GB's of RAM taking up all 4 slots on my MB the system was strange. At times it would freeze up when starting computer, lock up when starting or just plain give me a BSOD when starting. Now I have not seen this, No problems with speed or games hanging. I personally think Windows did not like me just adding all that RAM with out telling it. I have a feel of renewed speed and snappiness I have not seen before now. It went from sluggish to full blow race car!
  6. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Well, the real question is did you win the argument. :laugh:

I managed to get away with grafting my current Windows install onto my new mobo which has a different chipset. Had a couple of gotchas with AHCI mode and that was it. I'm surprised the extra RAM caused you so many headaches. Perhaps there some underlying problems with your install?
    trickson says thanks.
  7. Synon Zelra New Member

Thanks Received:
    that's somehow weired. you added a new hardware, and the system goes wrong?
    If windows recognized it, there should be no reason not to work properly since RAM need no drivers. You cleared everything and now windows goes well, maybe some of the files in your former system conflicts with the new RAM? I guess:)
    trickson says thanks.