1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NUmber of Processes

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by WhiteLotus, Aug 24, 2007.

1. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    unsure about where to stick this thread, so to be safe put it under general.

at this very moment i am running 53 processes. is this too much? granted i am only using a CPU usgae of 2-5%. i guess if the usuage is low then i dont really have to worry. right?
  2. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    53 processes is horrible. I have 19 processes open including PnkBstrA.exe (punkbuster for BF2142), GameJackal, the internet and winamp (and task manager). The rest are common system processes and it is using 237MB of memory. Granted probably only ~100MB of physical memory, but in your case it is probably worse. I would tweak some of those processes out. You sure you don't have a virus?
    WhiteLotus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    53 is way too much.

type msconfig into a run box. Select selective start up, then select the programs tab. Root thru there, and uncheck anything you know isn't needed right away upon boot.
    WhiteLotus says thanks.
  4. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    no i pretty sure i dont have a virus - i use ad-aware and AVG at least once every 2 days. can i do a print screen to show you?
  5. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I run quite a lot of processes myself as well, all depends on the programs you're using. 8 sessions of svchost, f-secure runs in multiple processes as well. And obviously there are more programs that run multiple processes. The idea of running as few as you can is a bit silly, doesn't hurt to disable unused processes though.
    WhiteLotus says thanks.
  6. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    in a vista tablet pc i see 88 process !!!!!! in mine 28~32 depending if i run the a/v or not
    WhiteLotus says thanks.