1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

nVIDIA & ATi in cahoots?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by InnocentCriminal, Sep 15, 2008.

1. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Something many of you may not have thought about - nVIDIA and ATi in cahoots and even accused of fixing the pricing in the GFX segment.

:eek:

Could it be? Well, according to the news article posted by CustomPC magazine it looks as if they're not actually at war with each other but instead trying to make the GPU market gain ground...

... could these allegations be true? An interesting read that's for sure.

Enjoy!

Source:CustomPC
  2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    This was on the front page of TPU back then. I think it swas shortly before the 48xx and 2xx series of cards were launched (and I think helped force the prices down).
  3. XSAlliN

XSAlliN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nobody knows for sure but it does make sense, since the technology used for their products is available for years. Instead of doing one product truly capable, the make dozens, split them in generations so they could keep up for years.

If they'd sale a card with enough potential to last for a couple of years, that could really lower their profits, might be the end for one of them. So buy giving us just a bone or two per year (generations) they can stay in business for years to come.

It's not that we're stupid by playing their game (yet in a way we are, real stupid) - but what else can we do? They release a card decent enough to play some games and 6 months later they release another with 30 % -> 90% more potential. :shadedshu
  4. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    Oh my bad, thought it was a recent thing.
  5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
  6. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    Fuggin' 'ell they are a bit, as am I. I do remember reading that come to think of it, should have set alarm bells off in my head, but no.