1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

nVidia control panel problems

Discussion in 'General Software' started by hellrazor, Sep 15, 2012.

1. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Yesterday I noticed that the nVidia control panel crashes when I right-click on the taskbar icon. Today nVidia released an update (306.something) and instead I left-clicked on taskbar icon and went to help->update which promptly told me that the nVidia update service exited in an unusual way. So I decided to open up Services and scrolled down to the nVidia update service which hadn't started, so I told Windows to start, which told me that it couldn't start due to a login failure.

So does anybody know what's going on?
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Failure with the installer possibly? Just uninstall your drivers via the Control Panel, download the latest drivers and install them.
    hellrazor says thanks.
  3. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    Use Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode after unistalling the drivers.
    hellrazor says thanks.
  4. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    No. Just check off the clean install option and it should be good to go.
    hellrazor says thanks.
  5. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Personally I never install Nvidia's update tool. It doesn't even seem to help keep you updated as it should anyway. Regardless, install latest driver via Custom>Perform clean install and any problems with it should be sorted out in the process.

I assume anyone having such problems though could be due to the firewall and/or AV tools they're running blocking the update tool or conflicting with it just enough in the background to keep it from fully functioning properly. It could just be a matter of setting up exclusions for them.

It's up to you whether to keep using the update utility, but it's not hard to stay in the loop as to when new drivers come out and if you ever forget what version you're on, the main page of the NCP says what version you're running.
    hellrazor says thanks.
  6. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    Actually "Clean Install" just reset whatever settings in the control panel to default but does not clear the remaining bits of the previous drivers.
  7. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Well I tried just using the clean install option (without uninstalling them) and everything seems to work now.
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Exactly, but I've found that cleaning the drivers before re-install isn't really necessary anymore, they have gotten good enough that simply re-installing works most of the time.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU