1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia Geforce go 7600 driver issues

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by mrsavo, Feb 3, 2011.

1. mrsavo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

I recently installed an update to my Nvidia Geforce Go7600 graphics card (automatically through windows, i might add!!) and since this update, my laptop hasn't worked properly.

If i uninstall the driver, i am forced to revert back to the standard VGA graphics card, which isn't very good, and lots of videos/movies won't work, and the basic screen resolution is very poor....compared to what i'm used to.

I am desparate to find out what the problem is. How do i find out if my Nvidia Graphics card is stuffed?? and if it is, is it possible to replace it??

As part of trying to fix this problem, i upgraded to Windows 7. It was only by doing this, did i find out what the problem was!!

I've tried loads of different driver releases, including the version 179.48 from Nvidia's website, but no joy.

My laptop is a HP dv9288ea.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
  3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    As red machine instructed, use the drivers from the HP website and those should work fine. Most of the older laptop cards (ATI and Nvidia) have no more driver support so its just best to stick with what works from the factory

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. mrsavo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello guys. Its 64-bit, and i've just tried the driver as suggested by Red_Machine, but no joy. The HP logo appears on screen, then the micorsoft corporation text and green loading bar etc appears, then small horizontal lines appear across the screen for about 2-3 seconds. After that..nothing! The screen is just black.

The only way to get out of this is to hold down on/off button, fire it up in safe mode and revert back to previous driver, in this case the standard VGA graphics card kicks in.

Like i said, the laptop works fine, except for the graphics looking very poor. Photos look rubbish etc etc.

I've literally tried 15-20 different drivers from HP website and Nvidia. I also reverted back to Vista because HP don't support drivers for win7 yet.

Does anybody know if its possible to replace the graphics card? and if so it is easy? I imagine it to be a complete pig of a job, but hey, if it saves my laptop then ill give it a go.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/comments.

5. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Well, maybe you should try going back to Vista? Your HP should have a recovery partition you can invoke in order to restore to factory settings.

6. mrsavo New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the swift reply, but have tried all of that. The HP recovery doesn't do anything different, and yeah already reverted back to Vista.

Is it possible to replace the graphics card?

7. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately no. Even if after a recovery reinstall with HP drivers loaded, your GPU is most likely borked. Not a lot you can do with that, I'm afraid.

mrsavo says thanks.
  8. mrsavo New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok mate thanks for your help.

FYI I've also just ran a little bit of software recommended to me called GPU-Z v0.5.1 and it lists everything related to my graphics card.
    It lists the standard VGA graphics and everything to do with this, but there is no mention of the Nvidia Geforce card at all. Don't know what this means, but me being the ever optimist, hopes that the Nvidia card is running separately, and therefore a separete entity?? Don't know??

Thanks for your help.

9. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    GPU-Z, as far as I know, reads all it's information from the driver. Seeing as you only have the basic VGA Graphics Adapter driver installed, it won't give you any info.

If you're on Vista again, I would try that HP driver I listed again. Ensure that your OS is 64-bit before downloading the 64-bit driver. A lot of people assume their OS is 64-bit just because their CPU is, which is not the case.

10. imemine New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am having the same problem but my laptop is a Toshiba satellite p105 s6227 with the nvidia go7600. I've reinstalled vista, winxp and win7 and the only thing I can get to work is the standard vga driver. It stopped working since I did an upgrade. I was trying to use this laptop to attach to my tv so I could watch videos and movies through it but the standard vga driver doesn't allow me to have an external monitor. I've installed and uninstalled and nothing seems to work. any help will be greatlly appreciated.

M

11. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

What? "It stopped working since I did an upgrade" what did you try and upgrade?

Your notebook is Vista 32-bit compatible

Make sure you uninstall any video / vga drivers from control panel / add and remove programs before installing the drivers below

This is the first release driver nVidia Display Driver for Windows Vista(v9.7.5.4; 01-05-2007; 50.95M) for your notebook http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp? go to the download section (Try these first)

Make sure the BIOS on your notebook is V4.20 or higher before running the driver from the Tohsiba web sight and that you have Vista 32-Bit home premium installed

ONLY use these as a last resort and DO NOT use these without an updated Bios v4.20 or higher http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?

you require NVIDIA Display Driver for Vista V7.15.11.5666(v7.15.11.5666; 12-14-2007; 54.88M)

atb

Law-II

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  12. imemine New Member

Thanks Received:
    It started when I did the updates from windows update and it loaded the nvidia for the 7600
    works fine with the generic simple driver.
    I even installed vista from the recovery cd's, I've tried it with xp and also win7.

Ok, the bios is 3.3 n here. Let me reinstall vista. I need to update the bios first

I'll print out your message and do it step by step

give me a few hours and Ill let you know how it goes.

thank you.
    m

13. imemine New Member

Thanks Received:
    I installed the bios.
    then I tried the first set of nvidia drivers. screen flickered and then went black
    booted to safemode, I uninstalled that set but couldn't get back to the generic
    monitor driver, so I went back into safemode and installed the second set you suggested and
    same thing happened.

ended up with black screen. I cannot rollback the driver to the generic

so now I will have to install vista again to get the nvidia

i'm at my wits end.

14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i'm thinking the video card is stuffed, to be honest.

15. imemine New Member

Thanks Received:
    what does stuffed mean? can it be fixed or replaced?

16. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    can be replaced if it is an MXM card

17. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

I take it from this that you did not read the driver page at Toshiba's www as in my original mail. If you were using bios 3.3 you should have used the "first" driver....
    You jumped the gun
    as you have now used the updated bios you must use the second driver and not the first one.

to remove the dirvers that are installed:

Go into safe mode; open up add and remove programs and uninstall any Nvidia driver from there First

and Second
    while in safe mode; open up control pannel / divice manager / highlight your display adaptor / press your right hand mouse button; menu will appear (use uninstall)

atb

Law-II

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  18. imemine New Member

Thanks Received:
    No I didn't jump the gun. Prior to writing to this board and updating the bios, I had reinstalled from the original disks all the software, then I had tried the drivers from the toshiba site. I had tried an upgrade with win 7. I had tried a downgrade with winxp. with all the appropriate drivers from the original disks to the toshiba site.
    Then I wrote to this site and got your info. upgraded the bios, then tried the other drivers.

All the nvidia drives cause the card to blink and then a black screen.
    As I am searching the internet I see that there are many people with the exact same problem that I am having.

So now I have the new bios loaded and I recently just reinstalled vista. I have the generic driver working. Today I'm going to do all the vista updates today except for the Nvidia graphics card driver.

I don't think it will ever work correcly and I guess you can't change the graphics card. Its a shame it can't be fixed, everything else works just fine. What a waste of products.

19. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:

Hi

my apologies; re jumping the gun

nb: have you tried to force the dirver through Device Manager / highlighting the standard vga driver and then forcing a driver update the old fashioned way. unpack the Nvidia drivers to a folder and then choose that folder to update from.

best of luck

atb

Law-II

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
    imemine says thanks.
  20. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seriously, a windows update driver update is breaking laptop GPUs? Not good.

Law-II says thanks.
  21. imemine New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes I did do a manual installof drivers and still the same thing.

I was wondering if a generic driver would work, not just the standard but maybe something with more optionsm if one even exists. I only want to use this to play movies and stuff on my tv. So all I need it to do is be able to connect a external monitor. I don't need the full power of the graphics card, or 3d junk. It works with standard generic driver.

Why so many laptops with this problem?

thanks again everyone.

M

22. imemine New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you believe video card works with Ubuntu

I decided to run a test on this toshiba laptop so I fully installed ubuntu.

I did all the tests including connecting an svideo cable (which is how I have my tv plugged into the laptop).

Guess what guys? I now have video running through my laptop to my tv and with the test ubuntu did on the video card, it all works. I never installed nvidia, I just let the OS put on what it wanted. Now it works. Can you believe that?

So it must be the updates and not the graphics card?

Law-II says thanks.
  23. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

I am so glad you have been able to get up and running, strange solution but great that it works for you.

atb

Law-II

24. imemine New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would much rather use windows, but at least I don't have to throw the laptop away.