1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SLI

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Jul 12, 2010.

1. link2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. beck24

Thanks Received:
    Why such old drivers? The new ones are much better.

3. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Here we go again.. It takes a lot to do a review for a GPU.. Calculate the amount of benches that has to be done via one card. Then multiply it by the number of cards tested.. It's safe to assume that when time is given to "rebranch" the cards, the drivers will be updated and tests done again.
    He's even said that when he has the time he'll be reamping it all.

On the note of the review it self. W1zz thanks for the reviews! :toast:

Tatty_One says thanks.
  4. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    latest for gtx 400, latest for hd 5800 whats wrong with that? and no, the new drivers make not much of a difference

5. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    My answer for that would be that both tests used different Operating Systems, one Visa 32bit, the other 7 64bit

6. Lowman316

Thanks Received:
    Whats the point in this review?
    The Only Card it's compared to is the 5970...
    Why not compare it with more SLI / Crossfire Setups?
    Nearly Useless...

7. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    All the reviews practically use the same games for benching on the same rig, so you can just compare this review with another review.

8. Jamborhgini313

Jamborhgini313 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nvidia is back baby

9. link2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I see what your saying but it doesn't really make too much sense to me.

The Windows 7 64-bit setup has newer drivers (10.3), more power (1200W compared to 800W) and the same components throughout.

Shouldn't it perform BETTER than its Vista counterpart? I thought 64-bit was supposed to optimize performance, not burden it.

10. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    To get some insight on that matter, see this, please.

link2009 says thanks.
  11. link2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thanked you, even though I re-read the article (I've read the article before).

That statement was more "matter of factly", than pure fact.

Even using the content in the article you've linked, it still does not make sense that the 64-bit version of Windows 7 would yield lower frame rates when compared to the 32-bit version of Windows Vista.

I also do not THINK that 6GB of RAM is more than enough, Crysis addressed it properly and that something else may be out of the ordinary.

12. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't aware that had already read it.
    Sorry if it wasted your time. :(
    I do not have the propper knowledge to explain why it happens, but I know it happens.
    Some performance drops depend on the driver that's being used. For example, while playing TrackMania my x1650 could pull 50fps with the catalyst 8.1 drivers (came with the CD) and now with updated 10.3 drivers (same graphics config) can only reach 41.5 fps (this being archived by the game's benchmark test).
    I already stressed this by re-installing the drivers (8.1 and the 10.3) and there's still a difference.
    Also, some games strangely tend to work, or perform, better in different OSes. Maybe due to the OS's resource management, like RAM addressing and/or better compatibility with the chipset (and it's drivers).

link2009 says thanks.
  13. link2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You didn't waste my time, I am capable of filtering information I don't need :toast:

That is what I initially thought. It has to be a driver issue because the frame drop is too significant.

It could be a number of things, I guess it's just how compatibility works :banghead:

14. Konceptz

Konceptz

Thanks Received:
    Why no comparison to the 5770s?

15. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    There should have been a comparison to 5830s.

16. sdk New Member

Thanks Received:
    Question: how did you measure the company of heroes fps? Did you use the ingame benchmark with highest details???

I am asking this because I get 74 fps instead of 139 fps with my gtx260, overclocked gpu I get 78.5 fps. When I check my cpu usage it only reaches 100% for 2 very small moments whereas the gpu hits 99% a lot...

Asked a friend with the same cpu (e6750@ 3 ghz) but with a gtx275 to do the benchmark and again same results.. he reached 79.1 fps, thats no where near what has been reported in the benchmark.

I was expecting cpu bottleneck but when checken the cpu usage that is apperently not the case.

So it is possible you used a different benchmark and or different quality settings.

17. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if i remember correctly there is a frame rate limiter (vsync?) in company of heroes

18. sdk New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes there is since patch 1.7 (I googled it:p).But that would limit to 60 (or 61.3). I started the game with -novsync. Max fps was 130-140.

So I still have some unexplained differences. Again i could imagine my 2007 cpu (although at 3 ghz) is easily outperformed by the used i7 @ 3.8 ghz. However then I do not get why my cpu usage doesnt shoot to 100%.

Maybe you disabled physx? Or nvidia physx @ the nvidia control panel (that reduces load on vga and increases load on cpu as I noticed in split second)?

19. Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Thanks Received:
    One of the best multi-GPU setup that u can get at this kind of time right now :banghead:

20. qazser New Member

Thanks Received:
    I saw that review when it came out, and it's pretty good.
    This year I was saving money to buy at the year's end a new pc. And i think I want a setup like this. the benchmarks have convinced me.
    There only 2 problems:
    1.The gpu is going up with the price..and in Europe it's 100$ more expensive (compare 220$ with 220€).
    2.For the CPU I prefer AMD, i've got a phenom II x3 710 and I want to hold it for the new system, but it's hard to find a "not expensive SLI mobi" with amd cpu support.

well, anyway, thx a lot for the review, it is great!

21. sdk New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually you can get it for 199,50 in europe (1GB version). euro - dollar is back to 1.3 atm, although of course taxes are a bit higher here.

22. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    M8 is going to get a set of these with his TAX money, so we will see how well they realy scale.
    He is replacing two 9600GT's

23. qazser New Member

Thanks Received:
    WOW, 199,50 is very cheap..With this price I would buy it inmediatly...but where? In my local shops there are over priced...I remember in the European Reviews, the announced price for the GTX460 was the same as it was in dollars in USA (220$ and 220€ for the 1GB). So nvidia, or the distribuitors ignore the dollar/Euro convertion..Even with taxes I don't think that they have to sell it 100$ expensiver.

Well, if you say that the new price is 199,50€, i'll search in European online shops..because this price is awesome for this masterpiece of card heh.

Thx for the advice

24. sdk New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.alternate.nl/html/shop/productDetails.html?artno=JCXYF7&baseId=681266

More shops offer similar prices, I counted at least 9. With 19% Value added tax here, you must be able to find a similar price in your country;).

25. qazser New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow, thx very much for the link :D:D
    (an example for the overpriced prdcuts in my city is the GTX465:
    Local shop price:302€
    Price on the online shop:189€
    )

I think I have to buy it online..A shame for the ditribuitors on the canary islands T.T
    P.S: On the canary islands there aren't any taxes xD, my luck..

well..it'll be better we end with the spam xD. For any other questions I open a new thread.

THX SDK, U helped me a lot to save my money ^^