• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Fermi

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
So Nvidia claimed 295 and you pulled 320? Yeah I'm with Wile E on this one. Thats just a bold face lie. I would be SO pissed off if I bought one of these and my PSU couldn't take the load.

Yep. They can PR and spin it all the want. The fact of the matter is, this card is capable of consuming over 300w in stock form. I'm happy to see w1z sticking to his guns.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
You know what's interesting, they continue to recommend a 600W PSU for systems with even a single GTX 480. Minus a graphics card, the average system (whatever is inside the case) would draw around 150W. So even with the crappiest 600W PSU you can find (75% efficiency ; -150W), that's asking consumers for a 300W headroom for a single card, a whopping 450W room when the PSU peaks (cheapo manufacturers market peak wattage as wattage, good quality ones market continuous power as wattage).

System Name Vulcan
Processor i6 6600K
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170X UD3
Cooling Thermaltake Frio Silent 14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1TB SSD
Display(s) QNIX 27 Inch 1440p
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Cooler Master V750
Software Win 10 64-bit
FYI, it's not "Bold-Faced" but "Bald-Faced" Liar:

The correct term is bald-faced, and refers to a face without whiskers. Beards were commonly worn by businessmen in the 18th and 19th century as an attempt to mask facial expressions when making business deals. Thus a bald-faced liar was a very good liar indeed, and was able to lie without the guilt showing on his face.

shevanel

421w was anadtechs total system load during crysis. thats 102w more than a 5870.

furmark was 479w. just a few watts short of the dual-gpu gtx 295.

i would think whatever the gtx295 needs would be good enough for the 480?

for a single gpu this is sad really. sad because we have so much time to wait before we ever get to buy something from nvidia that is worth buying (next gen toys)... god knows what this stepping-stone of a gpu will lead to.. but i sincerley hope this type of product isnt going to be what i must get used to using if i want the "fastest". I care less about power draw and more about heat when performance isn't the topic of discussion but in this case both issues are just that and quite major ones too.

for you guys like me that have been gaming since the quake days... it's 2010 yall... 2010. This is not progressive. (especially since it's only sometimes faster by 10-13% and slower in other situations like BC2 which i shouldnt have to remind you is a hell of alot more popular than metro 2033)

I don't complain and bitch to put nvidia down, I buy there shit too (ive always bought NV until this year)... I am just disappointed in what their new choice for next gen graphics is and I was hoping for alot more... well on the bright side I get to keep some more money in my pocket.

Last edited:

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
"aluminum = 0.896 kJ per kg per Kelvin
copper = 0.383 kJ per kg per Kelvin"

Hold the spork, man!

Did you take the time to interpret those numbers?

per kg, it takes 0.896 kJ of energy to raise Al 1 K . . . and, per kg, it takes 0.383 kJ of energy to raise Cu 1 K . . .

Taking into account energy in must equal energy out, then we could easily say that it takes 0.896 kJ of energy to lower Al 1 K, and 0.383 kJ of energy to lower Cu 1 K . . .

So, kg for kg, it takes less energy to raise and lower Cu 1 K than it would to raise Al 1 K . . .

For a material to require less energy to raise or lower it's temp, that says to me it's less resistant (not a very scientific term here ) to the heat, and more willing to give off heat, which equates to being more thermally conductive.

But, that's all kg for kg. If you had a 2kg Al HS, it would be much larger than a 2kg Cu HS . . . and based on those numbers you posted, kg for kg, Cu more readibly absorbs and dissipates heat, which means . . .

. . . it's still the better material for cooling. :toast:

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
You know what's interesting, they continue to recommend a 600W PSU for systems with even a single GTX 480. Minus a graphics card, the average system (whatever is inside the case) would draw around 150W. So even with the crappiest 600W PSU you can find (75% efficiency ; -150W), that's asking consumers for a 300W headroom for a single card, a whopping 450W room when the PSU peaks (cheapo manufacturers market peak wattage as wattage, good quality ones market continuous power as wattage).

Not sure if I understood you correctly, but if you're stating that 600W is overkill for a gaming system I'd have to dissagree. You must keep in mind that most PSUs reach optimal efficiency at ~50-55% load. So a 600W PSU is usually targeted at 300-400W systems.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Hold the spork, man!

Did you take the time to interpret those numbers?

per kg, it takes 0.896 kJ of energy to raise Al 1 K . . . and, per kg, it takes 0.383 kJ of energy to raise Cu 1 K . . .

Taking into account energy in must equal energy out, then we could easily say that it takes 0.896 kJ of energy to lower Al 1 K, and 0.383 kJ of energy to lower Cu 1 K . . .

So, kg for kg, it takes less energy to raise and lower Cu 1 K than it would to raise Al 1 K . . .

For a material to require less energy to raise or lower it's temp, that says to me it's less resistant (not a very scientific term here ) to the heat, and more willing to give off heat, which equates to being more thermally conductive.

But, that's all kg for kg. If you had a 2kg Al HS, it would be much larger than a 2kg Cu HS . . . and based on those numbers you posted, kg for kg, Cu more readibly absorbs and dissipates heat, which means . . .

. . . it's still the better material for cooling. :toast:

:laugh:

Its very dependant, google search its pretty much an epic sized debate.

I'll have to find more data, but as I said I've not slept so won't be doing any proper digging any time soon :laugh:

But needless to say theres a reason why a combination of aluminium and copper is used in heatsinks and its not just to be cost effective.

As I said check out true vs true copper, you would expect the true copper to completely piss all over the standard version, it beats it by 1-2 Celsius or so.

It is very dependant on heatsink design/size and what airflow is available if copper is an effective heatsink.

Since I'm to tired to explain myself, quoting other people ! wooooo very layman unfortunately but finding things is hard when sleepy, still looking though.

"
Copper and aluminum are both effective materials for heat sink construction, but they have different requirements. If you want to know why, consider a great chef's kitchen.

Aluminum sure can move heat, if it has been done right. It very efficiently absorbs and transfers heat to it's environment and things that interact with it. This works great for bacon in the morning, and even for boiling water, but isn't so good for a large, thick filet mignon. That cold slab of beef sucks the heat right out of the aluminum, and there isn't any left to keep up the cooking. Many people who buy aluminum cookware have a lot of trouble doing steaks properly for this very reason. Aluminum has a low thermal capacity, and a very high thermal conductivity.

As such, aluminum just wicks heat away with little concern for anything else. It won't wick as much as copper, but it sure will move it quickly; Dumping it's capacity as soon as any heat leaves the sink, and quickly soaking up more.

Copper moves heat as well, even if it hasn't been done all that well. Copper very efficiently absorbs and transfers heat as does aluminum. It does it faster, as well. That said, copper has an incredibly high thermal capacity. That big fat steak just can't suck up all the heat that copper will hold on to, and this is where copper and aluminum differ in requirements. Copper won't readily dump all the heat energy it picks up, because it holds so much of it before it changes temperature to any great degree.

That leaves us with a problem. Copper needs help. Somehow, you have to remove all that heat from the copper, as it will just hold on to it otherwise. A copper heat sink can work much better than an aluminum one, but you have to either have loads of pipes and lots of fins and airflow, or you need peltier/water cooling with excellent transfer to help it out.

The thermal capacity of copper, when compared to an aluminum heat sink of the same design, completely removes the benefit of using copper in the first place without help. As a matter of fact, a poorly designed copper sink can be much worse than an aluminum model.

The best way to use the materials is being tried nowadays, and that is combining them. As with most good things, they work better together than apart.
"

More data using cookware as an example lol

"Copper cookware almost always compares favorably to other types of cookware. Stainless steel is not the best conductor, although its strength, durability and ease of cleaning make it a favorite among some cooks. A heavy-gauge aluminum bottom on a stainless steel pan will increase the pan's efficiency, but a thick-gauge aluminum pan is, overall, a better conductor. Aluminum, however, reacts to acidic foods by imparting a metallic taste and sometimes discoloring them -- egg whites beaten in aluminum, for instance, may turn gray. It also does not retain heat for long periods. "

and finally

"ake 2 same sized blocks of metal... one aluminium one copper... heat them to the same temperature. Now monitor temperatures as they cool... one probe in contact with the metal, one a half inch above it's surface, note what happens... The copper block will stay hotter, longer with lower free air temps. The aluminium will cool faster with higher free air temps... because the copper, being higher mass, will retain heat longer.

Yes, because of it's higher thermal conductivity copper soaks up more heat more quickly, but because of it's higher mass it's going to STAY hot. Aluminium isn't as good a heat absorber but, because of it's lower mass, it releases the heat more quickly.

"

Basically the design their using ( copper heatpipes and aluminium fins) gets you the best of both worlds.

Whilst Copper absorbs heat around twice as fast, it dissipates heat about half the rate that aluminium does due to its density.

As I said, tis dependant.

May of used wrong wording earlier maybe, again I blame tiredness !

ha ha

Last edited:
System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Hello everybody, I found out what really happend. And NVIDIA could have released these a lot sooner with lower speed and power but chose not to which dug them deep today.

This is a great NON Bias article and well writen. :toast:

Why Nvidia cut back the GTX480
Less is more

by Charlie Demerjian
March 28, 2010
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/03/28/why-nvidia-hacked-gtx480/
Here is some of the article, now I understand what went wrong:
Remember when we said that one problem was 'weak' clusters that would not work at the required voltage? Well, if you want to up the curve on yields, you can effectively lower the curve on power to compensate, and Nvidia did just that by upping the TDP to 250W. This the classic overclocking trick of bumping the voltage to get transistors to switch faster.

While we don't for a second believe that the 250W TDP number is real, initial tests show about a 130W difference in system power between a 188W TDP HD5870 and a '250W' GTX480, that is the official spec. Nvidia lost a 32 shader cluster and still couldn't make 10,000 units. It had to bump the voltage and disable the clusters to get there. Unmanufacturable.

If you are still with us, we did mention that the 480 shader part was faster. How? With the slowest cluster gone, that bumps the speed curve up by a fair bit, and the worst part of the tail is now gone. Bumping the voltage moves the speed curve up more, and the end result was that Nvidia got 700MHz out of a 480 shader unit. That 700/1400 number sounds quite familiar, doesn't it?

Last edited:

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
:laugh:

Its very dependant, google search its pretty much an epic sized debate.

I'll have to find more data, but as I said I've not slept so won't be doing any proper digging any time soon :laugh:

But needless to say theres a reason why a combination of aluminium and copper is used in heatsinks and its not just to be cost effective.

As I said check out true vs true copper, you would expect the true copper to completely piss all over the standard version, it beats it by 1-2 Celsius or so.

It is very dependant on heatsink design/size and what airflow is available if copper is an effective heatsink.

Biggest reason why manufacturers go with full aluminum or hybrid designs boils down to cost of manufacture, cost of material and weight.

Weight plays a big factor in design. Take a Noctua, for example, an excellent cooler that works extremelly well - there's a lot of surface area . . . but, if that beast was pure copper, it would break a motherboard if installed in a verticle position.

Notice, though, how well full copper coolers perform compared to larger aluminum coolers - the Zalman 9700, for example, still performs on-par with these larger beasts, and it's much smaller in size.

. . . and we still haven't taken various other aspects into account, such as thermal expansion, either . . .

It can be debated ad naseum, but it won't change the fact that copper is simply better for cooling than aluminum.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Not sure if I understood you correctly, but if you're stating that 600W is overkill for a gaming system I'd have to dissagree. You must keep in mind that most PSUs reach optimal efficiency at ~50-55% load. So a 600W PSU is usually targeted at 300-400W systems.

No, I meant that NVIDIA's is lying about board power, blatantly. 600W PSU requirement hints at that. Now they can't cut down that requirement to say 500W, because without giving the card 300W, it would become unstable/crash.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
I added to my post by the by XD

I'll say it here though.

Whilst copper is around twice as good at absorbing heat, Aluminium dissipates its heat around twice as fast.

A combination of both is therefore the best solution : ]

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
I added to my post by the by XD

I'll say it here though.

Whilst copper is around twice as good at absorbing heat, Aluminium dissipates its heat around twice as fast.

A combination of both is therefore the best solution : ]

Coppinium! :laugh:

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
System Name Nexus PC
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3, 3600 MHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3
Cooling Thermalright Macho V2
Memory 24GB DDR3, 1400MHZ CL8
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon R9 290
Storage Samsung EVO 960 250gb, EVO 850 250gb, Vertex 3 128gb. 2 TB of Rotational.
Display(s) 1xAsus MX299, 2x Asus MX239, Oculus Rift CV1
Case Sunflower Tower
Audio Device(s) C-Media CMI8738/C3DX
Power Supply Corsair TX850
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 7
Software Win7 64Bit Ultimate

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
So Nvidia claimed 295 and you pulled 320? Yeah I'm with Wile E on this one. Thats just a bold face lie. I would be SO pissed off if I bought one of these and my PSU couldn't take the load.

And what did ATi claim? 182w or something like that, and we are seeing 212w. The furmark maximum number is far beyond what you will ever see during any other normal use of the card.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
And what did ATi claim? 182w or something like that, and we are seeing 212w. The furmark maximum number is far beyond what you will ever see during any other normal use of the card.

Nobody is talking about ATI. This is a thread about Nvidia. A lie is a lie no matter who states it.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Nobody is talking about ATI. This is a thread about Nvidia. A lie is a lie no matter who states it.

That wasn't the point I was getting at, the point was that the 320w will never be seen in real world use. So there is no reason for ATi or nVidia or anyone to use the furmark numbers.

It isn't a lie to say 250w, because under normal use, that is the maximum power draw(257w according to this review).

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Will they warranty a board that has been run with furmark? Seriously, it is a valid 3D application and in a enclosed case during a warm summer in a warm room what will happen....

Care to try it W1zz? I am genuinely interested if it will cook this POS or if it starts to down clock to protect itself, and thus lose a huge amount of performance for normal people trying to use it.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Will they warranty a board that has been run with furmark? Seriously, it is a valid 3D application and in a enclosed case during a warm summer in a warm room what will happen....

Care to try it W1zz? I am genuinely interested if it will cook this POS or if it starts to down clock to protect itself, and thus lose a huge amount of performance for normal people trying to use it.

not possible .. i tried .. card goes to 96° then fan ramps up and it goes to 91°

not working as grill

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Is that what the whisper quiet 50Db was from? So real users can expect that sort of noise during gaming?

How long did you run Furmark for?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Is that what the whisper quiet 50Db was from? So real users can expect that sort of noise during gaming?

How long did you run Furmark for?

like 40 mins while i was recording HD video in the hope I'd get a nice omelette

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
If you want it watercooled and tortured send it my way. I would love to find the maximum for this card, I would just have to chill my loop in my -15F deep freeze.

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10

Lol I could try that out in August if Nvidia care to lend me one for testing :laugh:

The room where my desktop is in my house faces south-west, and if I don't turn on the AC and leave the curtains open so that the sun shines in, in summer there's a green-house effect where the room's temperature reaches 40 degrees!

I'd put the 480 inside a normal mainstream case and run Furmark. Ambient temperature 40 C...
I'd keep a fire extinguisher at hand obviously. :D

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
card is already on its way back to nvidia

Fourstaff