1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Kepler 2 GB

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Mar 16, 2012.

1. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    Melvis says thanks.
  2. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Something tells me you haven't because if you did then you would of got the results like i did, i think i even wrote it all down yrs ago, if your lucky i might show you later. (if i can find them)

Regarding what Wizz demonstrated this was before those cards/drivers so i cant tell you, but i know just from my own experience from having these two cards < that almost every driver update that i have used (not all but most) i have seen an increase in performance in the games i play, who better to know then the person who owns the cards/setup right?

Well if thats the case then thats fair enough, its a glitch then, and im happy to go with that, i just stick with TPU reviews of GPU's as there the best out there and i go along with what Wizz says, he is the master after all ;)

Once again only time will tell 6 or so months from now when the drivers have been all worked out for BOTH of these cards will tell us how much faster the GTX680 realy is compared to the 7970 at the moment i take it all with a grain of salt but either way the GTX680 is still a great step forward for Nvidia and TBH i was hopeing to go back to Nvidia soon and this is making me seriously considering it. ( does that make me a fanboy?)

3. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well what can I do if you want to believe in Unicorns.

Sigh. Like I said, probably 1-2 games got an improvement and you attributed it to all of them, as if it was something that happened across the board. 2 months later, new drivers, new games, another increase in a couple games, across the board claim, rinse and repeat. Every single time happens the same.

And like I said I cannot convince you, but for me and I supose 95% of people out there a W1zzard's analysis like I posted has far more weight than myths and one single guy's beliefs of what's happened. Like I showed, when the HD4870 launched the HD3800 were still much slower than 8800. That is fact, so there were no significant improvements, at leasst over the improvements that the 8800 also achieved.

4. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Not as much as what i can do if you want to beleive in pigs that fly, o well. Grow up FFS.

And you just proved my point, across the games and in time there is imporvment you just said it ya self, so how can you not belevie me when i say this? you make no sense boy.

Well i guess your one of those ones that just hasnt tried for you self then i guess? not my problem if you dont beleive me or not, maybe before you start making claims based on someone elses opinon and not yours you should first try it for your self hmmm?

Fact is and is still my point from the start and you just agreed with me that newer drivers DO give improvement in performance regardless what anyone says, if you have ever owned a GPU and mainly a ATI one you would know this, but guess you havent? o well guess you wont know till ya buy one dude, have a nice day im done talking to kids :toast:

5. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    Whoever has had these cards knows your right(I HAVE), why argue

just ignore it man, don't make a big deal of this.

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  6. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Honestly this should bring pricing to a decent range.

7. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    It's not drivers. W1z must have found a glitch with Crysis 2 that rendered it at a lower resolution or quality setting for the 78xx testing. Either that or the Drivers he was given had some odd tricks up their sleeves to make the cards appear to run better than they should.

Seriously, what does AMD have to gain out of gimping their flagship GPU?

8. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    IDK honestly and I dont care as card prices over 400 bux is ridiculous (400 bux got you a Radeon 9700 Pro AIW in 2002)

9. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
  10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ya but 400 bux is still 400 and 500 is still 500

11. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

12. sergionography

Thanks Received:
    well its now kinda the other way around, kepler is kickass in gaming, in compute not so much, or atleast according the to benchmarks ive seen on anandtech, were yet to see more benchmarks about compute
    in other words cuda isnt why you would buy nvidia this time.
    as far as gtx680 is concerned i think its most appealing for those who just wanna put a card in and game, for overclocking i think the hd7970 still holds its ground, and with amd drivers it has room to improve
    in other words this will translate into some interesting price wars! bring it on

you talk as if ur the only one who owned the card

and again as far as drivers are concerned its almost always AMD who has potential increase from driver updates mostly because everytime a new driver comes out it either is half baked or ruins something else while its at it, the only question is will we see these "perfect" drivers? and if so, when?
    nvidia on the other hand has it down right usualy from the start, with minor tweaks here and there.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  13. burebista

burebista

Thanks Received:
    My friend Ramiro tried something. :D
    To sum his thoughts: the card is perfect for gamers out-of-the-box but crappy for benchers (crappy VRM and crappy power limit).

14. Rahmat Sofyan

Rahmat Sofyan

Thanks Received:
    I wonder, on this review, FXAA is on or off?
    and how about TXAA?
    whether TXAA automatically activated, and therefore the GTX 680 so fast?
    or indeed GTX 680 really fast, because we already knew nVidia bring new AA on kepler, but on any review I can't find anything how to use TXAA or something else about it.

any advice?

15. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    lol naa and TBH both the cards wasnt even mine, i just build them and test them, so i did and thats the results i got. the 3850 matched the 8800GT in most of the games i benched using the Newest drivers from ATi at the time and leaving 6-8months old drivers with the 8800GT. BUT once i updated the drivers for the 8800GT yea it was game over the 8800GT walked all over the 3850. (windows XP was used)

Thats exactly right, and as far as perfect drivers go, that will never happen. Only improvments till us the user is happy with it :) with what games we play.

16. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i think that's what was happening for hd 78xx. i restored the original disk image and crysis 2 gains went away. will look more into this, but second gtx 680 is arriving today, so sli review has priority

txaa can not be activated through the driver, it requires game developers to actively integrate it in their program code.

fxaa was off, i never touch any settings in the driver for my reviews, which is what most people do

swirl09 says thanks.
  17. Rahmat Sofyan

Rahmat Sofyan

Thanks Received:
    now it's clear.GTX 680 is the fastest one!!! :)

thanx W1zz :toast:

18. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just got a package from ASUS:

[​IMG]

:( :banghead: :cry:

[​IMG]

:eek: :D:D:D:D:D

N3M3515, bear jesus and Crap Daddy say thanks.
  19. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Can i haz when done pl0x? :pimp::respect:

20. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    That empty box looks quite heavy. :laugh:

21. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
  22. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
  23. jamsbong New Member

Thanks Received:
    You're right, I just went through Anandtech's review. There was a long detailed explanation comparing Fermi with Kepler architecture. In summary, Kepler remove many of the non-gaming features to make it go fast and efficient. Surprisingly, ATI has gone in the opposite direction with GCN being more complex to adapt itself for general computing capability. Note that Kepler's double precision FLOP is lower than Fermi!

I guess this also means that Tahiti will never be as efficient in gaming as Kepler. Oh well...

24. Recus

Recus

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  25. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    The only thing left for the 7970 is the ability to overclock in a more flexible way and in theory reach higher speeds than the GTX680. But in a more practical way this is a bit hard to reach.

While overclocking on the GTX680 is limited by certain factors, 1250-1300MHz are attainable under the restrictions imposed by NV although we must take into consideration that these clocks are not fixed, they change all the time under load depending on certain conditions. So a comparison clock/clock with Radeon is almost impossible. On the other hand, 1200 MHz are pretty hard to reach with a 7970 and the cost in thermals and power consumption are huge.

Take a look at this graph. GTX680 is clocked at 1156 base, 1209 boost, highest read in Afterburner 1275. The 7970 was clocked at 1180 with 1.25v

[​IMG]