• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4 GB

Maybe not three years earlier but definetly sooner.

Remember when AMD was nothing and intel was everithing? rest my case.

Remember?

What? This year? Last? 2012? 2011? I have a harder time remembering to when AMD was something, because I think it was June 2006.

My guess is this will only get worse. No competition for intel on the horizon. Maxwell boots them out of laptops effectively. Low margins on console chips. If I'm right on slight core revisions for upcoming GPUs tough sledding ahead for AMD.

System Name Little Boy / New Guy
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / Intel Core I5 10400F
Motherboard Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate / Asus H410M Prime
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 A-RGB / ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO
Memory TeamGroup Zeus 2x16GB 3200Mhz CL16 / Teamgroup 1x16GB 3000Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) Asrock Phantom RX 6800 XT 16GB / Asus RTX 3060 Ti 8GB DUAL Mini V2
Storage Patriot Viper VPN100 Nvme 1TB / OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Sata / Ultrastar 2TB / IronWolf 4TB / WD Red 8TB
Display(s) Compumax MF32C 144Hz QHD / ViewSonic OMNI 27 144Hz QHD
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400A / Montech X3 Mesh
Power Supply Aresgame 850W 80+ Gold / Aerocool 850W Plus bronze
Mouse Gigabyte Force M7 Thor
Keyboard Gigabyte Aivia K8100
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits
Remember?

What? This year? Last? 2012? 2011? I have a harder time remembering to when AMD was something, because I think it was June 2006.

My guess is this will only get worse. No competition for intel on the horizon. Maxwell boots them out of laptops effectively. Low margins on console chips. If I'm right on slight core revisions for upcoming GPUs tough sledding ahead for AMD.

What i was impliying, is that AMD was nothing long ago(14 years), and managed to beat intel(performance/power - wise), with fewer resources than it has now, can they do it again? i don't know, but there's a good chance it happens. It's normal.

What i was impliying, is that AMD was nothing long ago(14 years), and managed to beat intel(performance/power - wise), with fewer resources than it has now, can they do it again? i don't know, but there's a good chance it happens. It's normal.

There's a "good chance" AMD will beat intel when they're behind in IPC, process node, losing money practically every quarter for many years, and having a market cap equal to about one quarter of profits for intel?!

:wtf:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I would say 500Watt would be safe for SLI gtx 980 4GB and 400 watt would be safe for a single gtx 980 4GB. You want at least 100watt breathing room to make sure your PSU has a long life.

That being said, my 1200watt PSU is seriously overkill now.

No it wouldn't. To SLI the GTX 980 would overload the 500 watt PSU.

Last edited:
What matters to most consumers is performance per dollar and not how much wafer they get. I have never bought a card based on the size of its wafer. The power efficiency is an important perk though.

Does anyone know someone who buys hardware for the size of its chip rather than performance or value? I am starting to wonder what you are arguing for. That Nvidia shouldn't succeed doing more with less wafer and profiting? I want AMD to recover but they seem behind in every way.

Preformance should be rewarded. but with Kepler Nvidia switched from being the green team to the Greed team. The $200 price point for Nvidia's mid range goes all the way back to the 8000 series. Watch what happened with Kepler

GF 104 332mm2 $199 (GTX 460)
GF 114 360mm2 $199 (GTX 560)
GK 204 294mm2 $500 (GTX 680)

Overnight the price went up 150% By sleight of hand the X80 series became a mid range card in the line up. And the new flagship is now $1000
Again, of course preformance should be rewarded but at what point does it become gouging?
Look at what this pricing did to those that would later purchase a 780 when the 290 was released.
Had Nvidia kept the 680 with the GK 110 as origionally planned we the consumer could actually buy an Nvidia card with out wasting money on something that will be devalued 33% overnight

The same is true for the 780ti. and the hit anyone who bought one is taking. Not a very good way to treat loyal customers.

Of course chip development takes time and obviously AMD wasn't sitting on the hawaii chip. All I'm saying is if Nvidia released the 680 with the GK110 chip and charged $600 from the get go how much sooner could have amd come to market with the 290 series? Not to mention at that point it would have held the $600 price point for some time and the consumer could have bought with confidenfce. AND at the end of the day Nvidia makes more money. Increased duration of sales for the GK 204 at a price point of $400 and the GK 110 at $600. AND along with it would have been a steeper reduction of price of the 7900 series from AMD.
As you can see the greed from Nvidia hurt the game developers, the gamers and the development of this industry as a whole.

So today we are left with a chip that not that long ago was at a $200 price point. Of course the preformance is very impressive but if they were making money with this chip at $200 they are now making truckloads of money at $550 and laughing thier way to the bank with your money.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional
No it wouldn't. To SLI the GTX 980 would overload the 500 watt PSU.

Yeah with a 100watt+ breathing room 600watt sounds safer. http://us.hardware.info/reviews/562...way-sli-review-test-results-power-consumption

Haswell-E with GTX 980 SLI consumes 429W on their test. I am sure you couldn't run furmark and get that though. :laugh:

Preformance should be rewarded. but with Kepler Nvidia switched from being the green team to the Greed team. The $200 price point for Nvidia's mid range goes all the way back to the 8000 series. Watch what happened with Kepler
~snip~
So today we are left with a chip that not that long ago was at a $200 price point. Of course the preformance is very impressive but if they were making money with this chip at $200 they are now making truckloads of money at $550 and laughing thier way to the bank with your money.

Pure capitalism is a system self-controlled by greed. Nvidia is just another supplier. If you had say one thousand cards you made a month and charged $200 when people were fully willing to buy it for $550, would that make you very good at running a business?

I would like to get more for less too. They will charge as much as they think will maximize profits because publicly traded companies are out to maximize profits for their shareholders. Dealing with what volumes they can produce and how many customers are willing to pay a given amount. They don't sit down and talk about what they think will be fair and decide that way.

Last edited:

GF 104 332mm2 $199 (GTX 460)
GF 114 360mm2 $199 (GTX 560)
GK 204 294mm2 $500 (GTX 680)

Overnight the price went up 150% By sleight of hand the X80 series became a mid range card in the line up. And the new flagship is now $1000
Again, of course preformance should be rewarded but at what point does it become gouging?
Look at what this pricing did to those that would later purchase a 780 when the 290 was released.
Had Nvidia kept the 680 with the GK 110 as origionally planned we the consumer could actually buy an Nvidia card with out wasting money on something that will be devalued 33% overnight

The same is true for the 780ti. and the hit anyone who bought one is taking. Not a very good way to treat loyal customers.

Of course chip development takes time and obviously AMD wasn't sitting on the hawaii chip. All I'm saying is if Nvidia released the 680 with the GK110 chip and charged $600 from the get go how much sooner could have amd come to market with the 290 series? Not to mention at that point it would have held the $600 price point for some time and the consumer could have bought with confidenfce. AND at the end of the day Nvidia makes more money. Increased duration of sales for the GK 204 at a price point of $400 and the GK 110 at $600. AND along with it would have been a steeper reduction of price of the 7900 series from AMD.
As you can see the greed from Nvidia hurt the game developers, the gamers and the development of this industry as a whole.

A. NVIDIA sells on performance, not wafer size. People buy based on performance, not wafer size.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_660/27.html

The 660Ti (mid-range chip for the Kepler gen at $300) outperforms last gen top chip, the GTX580. The GTX660 (4th highest performing Kepler) outperforms last gen's 2nd highest chip, the 570.

B. As big of an AMD supporter as you are, you should be very happy NVIDIA sold GTX680s for $500 instead of $200. (or even $300) Know why? Not one person on the planet would have bought an AMD part if GTX680s cost $200. Everyone would have GTX680s and AMD would be out of business.

C. $500 is not NVIDIA's high end price point now. If people stop buying their $750-$1000 cards, prices may come back down to $500, but I wouldn't count on it unless AMD actually competes. If you want to blame anyone for NVIDIA's pricing, blame AMD. Look at their last launch the 290X. Yes, they caught up to the Titan in performance in the 50db meltdown mode, but the cards were definitely second class compared to Titans and 780s. Noisey little blast furnaces, while NV was selling cool and quiet cards.

Roy Taylor of AMD says "We love competition!" and "You ain't seen nothing yet!" but their engineering isn't backing him up to date. Maybe we'll see a change today with their announcement, but until they actually compete NVIDIA will charge first tier prices and AMD will take the scraps and keep losing market share.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I don't know if anybody here can say the gtx 980 is a midrange card as a "fact" unless Nvidia confirms it with you though. Or are you saying you consider it a midrange card and that is your opinion? Fact and opinion are not the same thing. Maybe you have information you are breaking NDA on?

Why do you consider GTX 680 a midrange card? It filled the "high end" single GPU spot in the Nvidia GTX 600 series product lineup.

What he is referring to is not the cards being midrange, but the chips used IN those cards. And on that matter he is correct. The current high-end card is built on the mid-range Maxwell(GM204). GM200 is nearly ready, thus your high-end chip will be released eventually to a high(er) end card that no one here can actually guess correctly at yet.

A. NVIDIA sells on performance, not wafer size. People buy based on performance, not wafer size.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_660/27.html

The 660Ti (mid-range chip for the Kepler gen at $300) outperforms last gen top chip, the GTX580. The GTX660 (4th highest performing Kepler) outperforms last gen's 2nd highest chip, the 570.

B. As big of an AMD supporter as you are, you should be very happy NVIDIA sold GTX680s for $500 instead of $200. (or even $300) Know why? Not one person on the planet would have bought an AMD part if GTX680s cost $200. Everyone would have GTX680s and AMD would be out of business.

C. $500 is not NVIDIA's high end price point now. If people stop buying their $750-$1000 cards, prices may come back down to $500, but I wouldn't count on it unless AMD actually competes. If you want to blame anyone for NVIDIA's pricing, blame AMD. Look at their last launch the 290X. Yes, they caught up to the Titan in performance in the 50db meltdown mode, but the cards were definitely second class compared to Titans and 780s. Noisey little blast furnaces, while NV was selling cool and quiet cards.

Roy Taylor of AMD says "We love competition!" and "You ain't seen nothing yet!" but their engineering isn't backing him up to date. Maybe we'll see a change today with their announcement, but until they actually compete NVIDIA will charge first tier prices and AMD will take the scraps and keep losing market share.

In all honesty I should have compared it to the 560ti to be fair as this was the fully enabled GF 114 at $250

Also, I have been a loyal Nvidia customer since my first video card, the MMX 440? There is even a pic of my 660SLI setup posted on Nvidia's site. My current set up is a 290x with a GTX 480 as my PhysX Card. The 660's were moved to my kids computers and I sold my GTX 680, I can provide you a link to my craigslist post when I sold that card.

I never said they should have sold the GK 204 for $200. Later in my post I mentioned a price point of $400 for that chip. Like I said I think innovation should be rewarded.

Yeah with a 100watt+ breathing room 600watt sounds safer. http://us.hardware.info/reviews/562...way-sli-review-test-results-power-consumption

Haswell-E with GTX 980 SLI consumes 429W on their test. I am sure you couldn't run furmark and get that though. :laugh:

Pure capitalism is a system self-controlled by greed. Nvidia is just another supplier. If you had say one thousand cards you made a month and charged $200 when people were fully willing to buy it for $550, would that make you very good at running a business?

I would like to get more for less too. They will charge as much as they think will maximize profits because publicly traded companies are out to maximize profits for their shareholders. Dealing with what volumes they can produce and how many customers are willing to pay a given amount. They don't sit down and talk about what they think will be fair and decide that way.

Nice. Yesterday there's a 9/25 announcement alluded to, with Roy Taylor saying we haven't seen anything yet and that AMD loves competition.

Today on Roy's Twitter he's got an India FirePro link, something about PayPal and Bitcoins, and "Why APUs are OK for gaming".

No competition for the GTX980 and 970 there.

Other rumors say no 290 successor coming till first half 2015. So I guess till then there might not be an competition.

Note to AMD guys: When your reference design at launch has an inferior cooling solution, that's the first impression you make and what people see in the reviews.

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
I agree about first impressions. Get it right to begin with and you'll have a lot more traction selling your products. o_O

I'm glad you brought up the share holders because withholding the 2304 core GK 110 was a dangerous play for them, a disservice to the gaming industry, and a huge disservice to the consumer. Allow me to explain

First of all had the 2304 GK 110 been released around the time of the GK 204 that card would have sold for $600 a Full year longer than it did and they would still realized huge profits on a GK 204 at $400. Nvidia would have completly owned the top of the market undisputed for at least 9 months. Plus with the GK 110 being more available, game developers would have seen more resources to work with on a larger scale and game development would advance.

Now we know for a fact they were making GK 110's because of the Titan. We know there would have been a decent percentage of chips that did not make the 2600 core standard for the Titan. What were they doing with these chips, they were sitting on a shelf collecting dust thats what.

Here is where the $500 greed on the GK 204 harms everyone including the Shareholders. Now this is a what if and it didn't play out this way as we know, it just goes to show how pure greed is dangerous....

Had the Hawaii (290/290X) chip been a mere 10% faster? At best the 780 would have sold at $650 for only 5 months then it would have gone to $430 maybe $440. AND the 780ti would have only been equal to the 290X and at best the 780Ti would have only been a $620 or so card.

As We know this didn't happen, but it is almost as bad as what actually did, as I have explained above. Additionally, Nvidia's 780 pricing structure was very unstable and the consumer cleary lost value.

Capitalism is putting your best to market at a fair price regardless of what the competition is doing. What Nvidia did and are currently are doing is a plague that has infected this world. Chasing increasing margin with while withholding tech is PURE GREED plain and simple. Think about that as you rush to the store to spend $550 on a chip that had held an introductory market price of $200-$250 since 2005

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Chasing increasing margin with while withholding tech is PURE GREED plain and simple.
Playing devil's advocate here, even though I agree with you: That's how corporations work. If you gave your money to NVIDIA as investor wouldn't you expect maximized returns on your $$ ?
If you had 1 million to invest today, would you give it to AMD or NVIDIA ?

Playing devil's advocate here, even though I agree with you: That's how corporations work. If you gave your money to NVIDIA as investor wouldn't you expect maximized returns on your $$ ?

AMD W1zzard, because they give a gamer a decent chunk of wafer for his $500! Plus, it's cold in Wisconsin in the winter, 290X on uber mode running on a FX8350 cpu could heat the whole house! Lots of cold states out there.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD W1zzard, because they give a gamer a decent chunk of wafer for his $500! Plus, it's cold in Wisconsin in the winter, 290X on uber mode running on a FX8350 cpu could heat the whole house! Lots of cold states out there.

Friendly advice, don't invest in anything.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Friendly advice, don't invest in anything.

I was being facetious, because the question was self evident and stated as proof NVIDIA's strategy is a successful one.

NVIDIA and intel enjoy the position of being the first tier vendor to a market of people whose income has been largely unaffected by economic downturn. Computer gamers are often people connected to IT/IS, and other technophiles. As such, they can charge higher prices to people who have more disposable income for their hobbies.

Hubris is more dangerous than incompetence. Nvidia dodged the Hawaii bullet due to outside influences. The only reason the 780 and 780ti was able to hold the price point they did was due to the fact that you could not buy an AMD card at retail because of crypto mining. Nvidia underestimated AMD and they got lucky, I dont think that makes them a better investment.

From what I have seen on other sites the 290X is not a fully enabled chip. Given the improvements of Tonga over Tahiti and those improvements applied to a fully enabled Hawaii, I think AMD is still very much in this game.

As a side note, my hybrid PhysX rig works very well and I am Impressed with my 290X BUT if Nvidia wants to get back on track with pricing I would most likely come back. I think the driver support is better and on the few games that have PhysX I enjoy the extra effects(which explains the hybrid PhysX).

From what I have seen on other sites the 290X is not a fully enabled chip. Given the improvements of Tonga over Tahiti and those improvements applied to a fully enabled Hawaii, I think AMD is still very much in this game.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R9_285_Dual-X_OC/30.html

TechPowerUp said:
  • Quite slow as performance has not improved
  • Not very power efficient
  • Could be quieter in idle and gaming
  • Elpida memory not optimal for overclocking
  • High Blu-ray power consumption
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8460/amd-radeon-r9-285-review/19

AnandTech said:
At the end of the day it brings a very minor 3-5% performance increase over the R9 280 with virtually no change in price or power consumption.

So you think if AMD brings the 3-5% improvements of Tonga to Hawaii, they will overcome the 19% performance deficit at 1080P or the 13% deficit at 25X16 reported by this site? Am I missing something?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980/26.html

Last edited:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R9_285_Dual-X_OC/30.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8460/amd-radeon-r9-285-review/19

So you think if AMD brings the 3-5% improvements of Tonga to Hawaii, they will overcome the 19% performance deficit at 1080P or the 13% deficit at 25X16 reported by this site? Am I missing something?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980/26.html

1) preformnace would scale based on the number of cores. So a 10% or more of an increase in preformance for a card with 40% more cores is very realistic.

2) the 3-5% increase was accomplished with 33% less memory and a 33% narrower memory interface.

3) A fully enabled Hawaii chip would by itself be close to 10% faster
http://wccftech.com/amd-hawaii-gpu-...chip-48-compute-units-3072-stream-processors/

TPU is a great site however, it is not the best site to get a fair compairson of AMD vs Nvidia. the useage of older games Like Diablo 3 which heavily favor Nvidia skew the summary. Granted the 290 vs 780 it only gives the 780 a 10% preformance advantage but it is the 20 extra fps that will skew the average. Hitman is a more relevent game to benchmark in 2014 than Diablo 3 and Hitman is a game that very much favors AMD.

A few quotes from Toms Hardware and a link to the page to prove my point

"We'd also like to address the GeForce GTX 760's position on our average performance chart. Seeing the 760 sit just below the Radeon R9 270X wasn't something we expected"

"this situation is the result of a combination of factors including some newer game titles such as Thief (that favor the GCN architecture), mixed with some high-detail settings"

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-r9-285-tonga,3925-14.html

3) A fully enabled Hawaii chip would by itself be close to 10% faster
http://wccftech.com/amd-hawaii-gpu-...chip-48-compute-units-3072-stream-processors/

Dave Baumann of AMD PR has already stated publicly on his old site that the R290X is a full chip, so people probably shouldn't wait for the "full chip" that AMD launched long ago:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1817984&postcount=2269

Dave Baumann/AMD said:
R9 290X is a full chip.

Which makes sense. If there was a "fully enabled" 290X chip, they probably would have launched it instead of watching NVIDIA have the top single GPU spot for the last 11 months.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
NVIDIA MIDRANGE CHIPS/CARDS
GTX 460 = GF 104
GTX 560 = GF 114
GTX 680/660TI/770 =GK 104
GTX 980 GM 204

NVIDIA FLAGSHIP CHIPS/CARDS
GTX 480 = GF 100
GTX 580 = GF 114
GTX 780/780TI/TITAN = GK 110

Notice the pattern? Also check the size of the die.

GTX 980 is a midrange chip, that is a fact!

Tom from Nvidia who appeared on the PC Per demo video confirmed the 980 is the high end of that chip. there is no more headroom he replied for that chip!

Nvidia have dug themselves a large hole in the mid range market. the 970 and 980 both beat the 290 series cards EASILY. in power and Horsepower
but not releasing the 960 has left a hole in the midrange market. people that are constrained to sub $350 or even $300 market the 285 and 280X is still the best chip for the cash.
WHich has to lend creedence to the 960 either getting really bad yields. the GM 206 silicon isnt a good chip and isnt performing as well as the GM 204 (980/970) chip.
Either way the midrange market as long as NVidia leave the 960 out of it. are just handing over the most profitable sector in the GFX card market midrange.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
WHich has to lend creedence to the 960 either getting really bad yields. the GM 206 silicon isnt a good chip and isnt performing as well as the GM 204 (980/970) chip.
Either way the midrange market as long as NVidia leave the 960 out of it. are just handing over the most profitable sector in the GFX card market midrange.
Or it simply means NVIDIA makes people buy the GTX 970 and 980, even though they could just afford the 960, but don't want to wait for it