1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia gf 6200 damaged?...

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by t-101, Aug 19, 2014.

1. t-101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, I need some help with my old nvidia geforce 6200 256mb, i'm linux user, still have a win xp partition mostly for some playing...

Some time ago it began to show interference in the screen in form of blinking horizontal lines, althoug not all the time, sudenly it stoped to work in linux, so the screen is shown very tiny and all the things piled tight, however still works in winxp, still with the lines. the linux drivers for the card are fine i checked out, i have installed in my debian 7 the privative nvidia drivers, and tried a linux mint live cd with the same result.

I thought icould be the rom so i tried to flash it using nvflash for windows and DOS, but got these erros:
    win "ERROR: Error attempting to map adapter (0x000001E7)"
    DOS "invalid Opcode at 0136 2379 0212 0000 20CD 9FAF 9A00 FEF0 F01D 800E 1000 0678 1600"

it looks like a phisical damage, so... is there some way to fix the card? how?

thanks in advance!

2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Just get another card. There cheap enough

3. t-101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's the easy way, thanks for your help...

if can be fixed i'd like to do it, if not, i prefer to burn it out trying something than just throw it away, its about the procedures, so...

have someone else another suggestions??

4. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't seem like it? Just get another card. Why bother trying to fix something with physical damage?

5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Put it in the oven at 410f for 10 min. Let cool slowly and try it. Then get a new card

6. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    if the system is old enough to be running a positively ancient card like the 6200 you might as well just replace the whole machine

7. t-101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i don't know if the card actually has phisical damage...

i tried to flash it and posted the tech info i got from the procedure, i thought some one with actual knowledge about the issue colud tell me about, something else to try, after all, the old hardware is perfect to do that kind of things, or even why nothing can be done.

i'll look around for more info and try whatever can find and at least will try the oven, that's a good way to burn it out....

so, thats all folks!!!

8. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    when troubling shooting a graphics card that is displaying corruption here is the model to use to determined whats failed
    1. pixellation,incorrect screen image scaling,color incorrectness usually mean that the graphics core its self has bought it
    2. checkerboard patterns/blockyness or wavy-lines mean the vram has bought it

in either case unless you have a BGA-workstation AND can source the chips to replace it toss it in the trash

3. the oven method only really applies in to cases 1. on newer cards that use LEAD free solder because of its lower melting point and ability to re-flow without causing a short 2. where overheating has caused a suspected solder join failure (common on laptops and some older high end gpus NOT on something as vintage as a gf6200)
    a GF6200 was low end when it was introduced in 2004 I am surprised any modern linux distribution still supports it as its a fixxed-fuction-core based card

9. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I've seen many cards fail with this same issue, never come back. Some from the oven trick, most are gone at this point. Could be a failed firmware or memory chip, imho.

When these devices failed, you don't simply fix them...they are toast...unless you want to buy replacement memory modules and solder them in place of the current ones in hopes that is what it is. Usually visual distortion is something failing along the rendering line...and if it's not drivers or firmware, it's memory or maybe GPU even. At least in my experience.

Good luck on your search, welcome to TPU and please do report back if you fix it. I'd be entertained if you did for sure! I'm hoping you do! :toast: