1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"NVIDIA is the Single Worst Company We've Ever Dealt With:" Linus Torvalds

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jun 18, 2012.

?

What could have been Linus' thought-process?

1. His comment is backed by reason.

52 vote(s)
    62.7%
  2. His comment is backed by emotion.

31 vote(s)
    37.3%
  1. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    What a real professional guy is all I can say!
    remixedcat and DaedalusHelios say thanks.
  2. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    calm thy self,,, its a phone 1st and whatever else 2nd,, i dont use/need maps web books or games, but now and again.:D

your missing the PAD angle too plus other netportal type devices , tegra telly with lynux back os anyone;).

a reasonable and sensible argument, i think the final lines the one

What are they really lacking here? Nvidia has every reason to protect their technology

yes and also in this case ,every reason to help or come to a reasonable compromise so whats up Nv?
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  3. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Okay. But still if Linux wants to get "IN" this is not how one goes about doing this. nVidia doesn't need some 2 bit OS maker to tell them to F off and flip them the bird that is not how you make friends!
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Except nVidia announced the Optimus wouldn't work on anything other than Windows 7(they didn't even build in support for Vista), so her expectations were idiotic. A smart person will not buy hardware with the expectation that support will be added at some point, a smart person buys hardware that is already supported.

And the product she paid for is supported in full, on the OS that came with the hardware. She can't bitch because she changed something and it broke.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  5. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    you have it the wrong way round their Trickson,,, its Nvidia that needs to get more IN to lynux or their bottom line might start to suffer, if they pushed their unique features better and supported it their hardware might impress and sell,, More simples..

a completely unreasonable a relatively senseless waffle by you connected and fapping on a world wide web connected game ready pc:roll::laugh:

your only throwin that down cos your pc's old:p and you wana claim the insurance payout for a new 1:p
  6. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    if you hate tech then why the fuck are you on a tech forum?
    digibucc says thanks.
  7. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    They obviously have made the decision that going after ~1-2% of the market is not worth the development cost, and I can't say I disagree. Especially when you consider that of that 1-2% nVidia is only likely to see about 25%, so they would really be going after about 0.25-0.50% of the market, I can't see that amount making up for the development costs.
    DaedalusHelios says thanks.
  8. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    if you roll in all lynux os based devices, id imagine a higher percentage, and look at physx, good but shit, and no games use it, yet they push desktop cards on its prowess,, and this trick wouldnt work in other markets:)
  9. deadmansclick

Thanks Received:
    I don't really see how you construed that from my comment. I know what the girl in the video said & i was merely pointing out that people i know, that are also very intelligent in their specific computing area will try & argue that macs are a better choice over a pc.

I think that has a parallel to the girl making the comment. She is obviously cleaver enough to program & be at uni but that doesn't stop her making bad choices with the hardware shes uses.
  10. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Again, those devices are a totally different category that nVidia is handling totally differently. They've made hardware just for that market segment.

No laptops use Optimus, yet the stupid chick in the video bought one, so you sure that trick won't work in other markets? And there are PhysX games for Android...
    DaedalusHelios says thanks.
  11. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Actually I have had more problem with Nvidia cards under Linux. I have yet to have a problem with a Amd/Ati card.

They do, it's called Ubuntu. And it works great. I have actually though about switching all my rigs over. :toast:
    Jstn7477 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. SonDa5

SonDa5

Thanks Received:
    My experience with NVIDIA and mobile devices was with Tmobile/LG G2X which had an NVIDIA for processing. The device was terribly unstable and I blame the NVIDIA Tegra 2 chipset for the problem.
  13. jigar2speed

jigar2speed

Thanks Received:
    I own Optimus 2X, world's first dual core CPU mobile phone (Cynogen mod 9 ICS 4.4 Nova Rom), i know how i am being treated by Nvidia. :mad:
  14. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    His comment is backed by reason of course, you only get emotion from a reason, so who ever said yes to emotion :slap:
  15. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    I had Mint Debian running for 3+ months and had no problems, Sapphire Radeon HD5850

Are you a filthy capitalist ?
  16. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    I don't see the problem here. 99.9% of Linux systems over here use integrated graphics anyway, since they're just for word processing, internet browsing, etc.

And there are a lot of Linux systems over here (usually Ubuntu) since they're free and all the donors have to spend on is sending over the hardware here.
  17. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    So the brainchild of Linux has nothing to lose by insulting companies that are using a Linux variant as one of their primary platforms? By creating hostility you always have something to lose. Not just those who sign your check effect your business, it is bigger than that. He is the first person you think of when you mention Linux to most people, not just a simple developer. You can't downplay that.

From my understanding from the outside was that Nvidia assisted with open source drivers to the Linux platform.And apparently I am wrong. I also didn't hear about AMD making efforts to help much on the driver side until very recently and was always told the Nvidia drivers were more stable than the AMD/ATi alternative on Linux. You have apparently joined the forum just to say it isn't the case which is fine. But try to show a little respect when you start off. Adults address each other in a mature way(see etiquette). ;) Not with a fuck you like Torvalds. If there was a single man who would be the face of Linux I would say it would be Torvalds. If he is then seen acting out like a child throwing a fit, then it would hurt his cause. Business is what it is and a healthy relation with as many companies as possible is always best. If you feel otherwise then you obviously don't fit within the business world for making business decisions.

Or your emotion is your reason.... either way it's a poll that was worded badly. :laugh:
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  18. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Again, the issue isn't about the source, it's about the features. NVIDIA can give those features via proprietary drivers, and nobody would complain. Linux ≠ "keep everything open-source."

The problem is NVIDIA doesn't give those features with its proprietary drivers, and doesn't allow open-source driver projects such as Nouveau to try and somehow get things to work, either.
    Cheeseball, WaroDaBeast and digibucc say thanks.
  19. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    I think this point is just being ignored.
  20. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    That seems totally wrong to me. I don't see nVidia not allowing Nouveau to do anything, just like they aren't stopping people from developing open-source ways to use Optimus. They just aren't giving the people any help. If the people want to spend their time developing open-source ways to get nVidia features working on Linux, nVidia lets them, but nVidia isn't wasting any time doing it themselves because there isn't any money to be made.
  21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Banstick Dummy

Thanks Received:
    I am. Very proud of it too. I don't support slavery in any way.

Also NVIDIA is the worst company against my pocket book thats for sure! Damn them! :laugh:
    Cheeseball says thanks.
  22. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    Given that you also work with AMD I don't see how that's possible . . .

But in all seriousness I take most things Linus Torvalds says with a grain of salt, this is the same man that called his own Kernel "bloated", I respect him a lot, but sometimes he says some things that aren't true or are fueled by emotion rather than fact.
  23. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Funny, I read books on my smartphone. I also just use the map app on it and pick my own route (as GPS always seems to route me some fucked up way) so I am essentially reading a map. I have to service a roughly 200mi radius outward from Pittsburgh at my work. Having maps instead would be a complete and utterly useless waste of paper, especially when one little device does any map I want in the world. Oh, plus it plays my music while on the road.

It's a win/win.

Then you would be blaming the wrong thing. My Atrix is unstable too on the stock firmware. Runs like a champ on CM7 though, with no instability at all. Your problems came from LG's code, not the chipset.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  24. SIGSEGV

SIGSEGV

Thanks Received:
    i'm not surprising at all, oh nvidia..lmao
  25. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    see that alone i have an issue with - there is plenty of money to be made you just have to think farther ahead then the next few months.