1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA-Led Team Receives $25 Million Contract From DARPA to Develop GPU HPC Systems

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Aug 10, 2010.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    A team led by NVIDIA has been awarded a research grant of $25 million by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), the U.S. Defense Department's research and development arm, to address what the agency calls a "crisis in computing." The four-year research contract, awarded under DARPA's Ubiquitous High Performance Computing (UHPC ) program, covers work to develop GPU technologies required to build the new class of exascale supercomputers which will be 1,000-times more powerful than today's fastest supercomputers.

The team -- which also includes Cray Inc., Oak Ridge National Laboratory and six top U.S. universities -- is being funded by DARPA to address the challenge that conventional computing architectures are reaching the practical limits of energy usage and will not meet the challenges of exascale computing. The research team plans to develop new software and hardware technology to dramatically increase computing performance, programmability and reliability.

"This recognizes NVIDIA's substantial investments in the field of parallel processing and highlights GPU Computing's position as one of the most promising paths to exascale computing," said Bill Dally, NVIDIA's chief scientist and senior vice president of research, and the team's principal investigator. "We look forward to collaborating to develop programmable, scalable systems that operate in tight power budgets and deliver increases in performances that are many orders of magnitude above today's systems."

"The DARPA UHPC program is attacking technical issues that are key to the future of high performance computing, from the embedded terascale to the exascale," said Steve Scott, Cray's senior vice president and CTO, and the Cray principal investigator on the team. "We are excited to be working with this team, and we believe the directions we are pursuing will lead to radical improvements to the state-of-the-art in the coming decade."

In addition to the NVIDIA-led team, DARPA awarded contracts to three other teams to study UHPC systems. Prototype systems are expected to be completed by 2018. The names of those universities on the NVIDIA team will be available once details with them have been finalized. For more information on the DARPA UHPC program, please go here.
  2. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    well i guess nvidia just found their source of future income :rolleyes:
  3. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    "crisis in computing"?

Sounds like something Jeremy Clarkson would say.:laugh:
    $ReaPeR$ says thanks.
  4. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Seems like the USA is making some kind of heat based weapons system.
    Meizuman, Radical_Edward and AsRock say thanks.
  5. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    lol

Or they want to bake the worlds largest cookie.
  6. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Maybe we're going to take down the enemy by connecting this device full of hot, power hungry GPUs to thier power grid...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    I smell delays for next gen nVidia gpus.. diverting resource to this priority project
  8. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    You guys are funny..:respect:
  9. DriedFrogPills

DriedFrogPills New Member

Thanks Received:
    or does DARPA want to hurry up the impact of global warming? with a fermi based HPC setup the emissions would pale into nothingness compared tot he direct effect the fermis have
  10. undeadx New Member

Thanks Received:
  11. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Wow USA needs to spend some of that money to college students who can barley afford to go to school and less on how to kill people.
  12. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Give me the giggles...

O come on if there is anything America and UK is good at it's pissing in the air with tax payers money.
  13. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Liberal much? Good luck running your gov't subsidized schools when someone decides to invade, and oops, we spent all our money building our country and not enough on defense and now we're getting our asses kicked...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    I agree the internet is a complete waste of money.
  15. $ReaPeR$

$ReaPeR$

Thanks Received:
    why only Nvidia? isnt that partial? i dont think that any country should work in that way.. organise a contest and let the best win. :cool:
  16. undeadx New Member

Thanks Received:
    i understand that we do need to spend money in military but as you can see on the list usa military expenditures is 6 times more than nearest rival china, so china is going to invade usa? i think its more to usa will "invade" other countries.. even with 5 other top countries combined its still half of the usa total military expenditures, so dont say its not enough resources for the military.. and we are not talking millions or hundreds of millions here, its 663 billions in 2009 and guess what, its close to 700 billions (estimated) this year..
  17. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    If military research was a a waste of money we'd all be nazis:laugh:

but seriously, when if comes to every country nobody knows what they're spending, for example it says 692 billion, but there are projects that aren't even included in that still, same for china, same for britain.

I think we have wasted more on wars recently, in the priceless lives of soldiers
    Radical_Edward says thanks.
  18. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    You'd best be trollin'. I can think of a few other things the gov't did that cost shittons of money and was worthless... like, gee, I dunno... the stimulus bill?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Mistral

Mistral

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, Canada is just aching to enter through your back door...

This I always find it a bit odd to read/hear. "Priceless lives of soldiers"? Isn't the possibility covered in their job description? How about "priceless lives" of civilians? Hell, just compare how many die in traffic accidents each day...

---------

On topic: it's a "four-year research contract". For all the worthy jokes, nV might have power hungry ovens right now, but in 4 years they shouldn't have problems producing something that the military finds efficient. All in all, good on them for landing a contract.
  20. link2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry but this is the most uninformed statement I've heard in a long time.

Military research has brought forth numerous technologies and theories that we use today. For example, think about the Earth's magnetic poles, we understood more about them and the seabed of oceans after the US military began scanning the ocean floor for enemy submarines.

As DrPepper pointed out, do you think ARPANet was created by some guys in their basement? (Think THE INTERNET).
  21. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I bet $100M that MIT will be the people to actually solve the "problem". They have already taken computer architecture to a new level.
  22. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    I work at a defense contractor and a 25 million dollar contract is nothing the actual profit on government contracts is usually 8% to 10% The rest of the money is billed to the contract in payroll supplies hardware or whatever. This contract is for 4 years...they arent making any money on this at all unless its 25 million per year.
  23. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Unless you are selling $48,000 toilet seats and $10,000 hammers :D

Anyway, let's keep the discussion about the tech and not about the politics.

I think that if this kind of thing produces something substantial, it may have far reaching effects into the computer industry as a whole.
  24. CharlO New Member

Thanks Received:
    "Crisis in computing"

Because we are gonna need a shitload of PC to run Crysis 2. Obviously the note is about that.
    robn says thanks.
  25. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    I'm curious why AMD didn't get the contract since they're more efficient in everyway really ?