1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Outsources 40 nm to Foundry Partners in Q2

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Apr 20, 2009.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    With rival AMD having a production-grade 40 nm graphics processor, and UMC's recent announcement of being ready with a high-performance 40 nm manufacturing node, the conditions are increasingly favourable for NVIDIA to flag-off large-scale production of 40 nm GPUs. According to Chinese print-media Commercial Times, the company set its foundry outsourcing schedule for within Q2 2009, with TSMC and UMC being the regular foundry-partners.

Within this quarter, NVIDIA will start mass-production of the entry-level GT218, high-end mobile GT215 and mainstream desktop GT214 and GT216 GPUs. Additionally, the company may also expand its output for the 55 nm G200b high-end GPU.

Source: DigiTimes
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. my_name_is_earl

my_name_is_earl New Member

Thanks Received:
    $50-$100 graphic card is still too much for system builder like me to make a good profit. $20-35 range and I'll grab a dozen but I'm just dreaming.
  3. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    40nm also dx11 we hear that before and we want to see
  4. FryingWeesel

FryingWeesel New Member

Thanks Received:
    u, thred title is a bit..........well AFIK nvidia owns NO FABS and never has, they are a fabless company, so how could them outsorce something they dont insorce in the first place?
  5. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    For every product NV makes, it signs fresh contracts with foundry companies. For a company to "outsource" a business process, it isn't necessary that the company does/did it internally too. Eg: companies with customer-care/warranty/logistics outsourced to other companies.