• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Plans GT300 Demos in September

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Sihastru:

We will NOT have ANY logic or reasoning in this discussion. Understood? :roll:

System Name Prometheus
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
Cooling EKWB EK-240 AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070Ti Ventus 3X OC 12GB
Storage WD Black SN850 1TB + 1 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Display(s) DELL U4320Q 4K + Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 4K
Case Jonsbo A4 ver1.1 SFF
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum SFX
Mouse Logitech Pro Wireless
Keyboard Vortex Race 3 75% MX Brown
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
This is just my workstation, my gaming rig has a Q9550@3.4, 8GB ram, RAID0 HDDs, and a GTX295.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Disclaimer: Most of the comments so far are from ATI fan boys, so I will attempt to equalize the scale a little bit, so don't throw any *snappy* comebacks at me... they are not required.

Since there are absolutely no DX11 games out there, and there are DX10 cards that can play almost all current games (except Crysis - which somehow I've managed to play on my GeForce Go 7900GS tucked somewhere in my Inspiron), I don't see why you'll want to rush over and buy expensive ATI/AMD gear.

And if in this tech demo, the GT300 is more powerful then what ATI has to offer, then I really can't see why you won't wait... unless you have ATI stamped on you brain... ATI is making a simple incremental upgrade of their existing technology, essentially upping the number of the SPUs, and doubling the ROPs... a big mistake on ATI's part, the number of ROPs should've been increased ages ago. On the other hand nVidia is changing a lot of things in it's core design, switching from SIMD to MIMD and adding DDR5 (I know ATI has it already, but nVidia will *presumably* have more bandwidth as a result of a wider bus). Their only problem is that they are keeping the monolithic design of the GPU, and this translates into higher production costs then ATI has to deal with.

So when you see an ATI card that performs the same as an nVidia card as the same price, you should know that ATI makes more money then nVidia does. So it is questionable about who is screwing who over. So far nVidia has to cope with very high production costs of the PCB because of wide bus DDR3 implementation, and the presence of the NVIO chip. Hopefully switching to DDR5 will make the PCB a lot simpler and cheaper for nVidia to manufacture and maybe it will have a fighting chance on the price front.

I see people thinking that RV870 will be hard-launched in September. It will be hard launched in December actually, on the 10th. Repeat after me... September paper launch, December = hard launch. Buying at launch always hurts your wallet. You can repeat that 100 times. :)

If you own a GTX275 or a HD4890 or better card, buying into this ATI DX11 hype now will hurt later, when prices drop and there are actually DX11 games worth playing. If you have a GTX260 SLI or a 4870/90 CF setup then you're making the biggest mistake of your life.

If you are made of money, if you have rich parents and they spoil you, if you've inherited a large sum of cache, if the banking system made an error in your favor, ignore what I said and just buy the damn thing, so we can all have benchmarks to compare our hopefully better GT300 cards with.

Take it easy, life is hard, don't just kill me yet, wait 9 months, see how it goes.

Disclaimer: I'm not a fan boy of any product. To allegience yourself with a corporation without getting paid isn't logical to me. I am also not agreeing nor disagreeing with you, just commenting. Anyhoo...

I don't see why you'll want to rush over and buy expensive ATI/AMD gear.
I really don't understand that comment, other than if you are talking about the premium price people will be paying for new gear. Retail price for the RV870 is $299.00 USD. Reasonable price considering it's history. However, you and I both know retail/etail shops are going to be wanting more money from your wallet.

And if in this tech demo, the GT300 is more powerful then what ATI has to offer, then I really can't see why you won't wait...

Price. Unless Nvidia can make these new cards at low cost and sell them at lower prices, their retail prices will be higher. If the do accomplish a card that beats it's competitors and is a good price, I'll be the first to get one. If prices are ridiculous and they produce significantly more performance, but with no reall world diference in terms of game play (80fps vs. 110fps for example), I would rather save my money and get a different card. Hopefully though, like you said the new design with GDDR5 will be cost efficient.

If you are made of money, if you have rich parents and they spoil you, if you've inherited a large sum of cache, if the banking system made an error in your favor, ignore what I said and just buy the damn thing, so we can all have benchmarks to compare our hopefully better GT300 cards with.

Some of us bust our asses for a living and reward ourselves with glorious computer hardware to forget about our toils. ;)

ATi cards will be on retail shelves by October 22nd btw. This has been verified from ATi and manufacturers in several news posts. Now, I hope Nvidia gets their cards out soon. The sooner the better.

System Name Prometheus
I know that US citizens (and maybe Canada citizens) will have the chance to buy these cards at the suggested 300$ MRSP. But for Europeans, like myself, I'm expecting at least 300 Euro + VAT. Depending on what country you live in, VAT can be lower or higher (19% for me). Then the distributor/retailer has to make some money, so he will add a little something on top of that. So you can see my pain, when I have to pay up to 400 Euros for a 300 USD piece of plastic? And 1 Euro goes for more then 1.4 USD at this time.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @3.6Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte P31-DS3L
Cooling Scythe Mine Rev B
Memory Adata Vitesta Extreme Edition 2x2GB Kit PC6400
Video Card(s) Sparkle GTX570
Storage WDC 640GB AACS+Maxtor 160GB
Display(s) Samsung BX2450
Case VenomRX True Viper Neurotoxin
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 650watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
I think I'll buy 5870 because my current graphics card is too old and I'm sure I will get more advantage with that card. ATi is more reasonable with the price than nvidia....And you'll see many of DX11's games like Dirt 2, Grid 2, F1 2010, Lost Planet, Crysis 2, Battlefield. I have a feeling now that ATi will be the king with the DX11 graphics card...Nvidia is always overpriced for me

System Name New Build - Oct. 2021
Processor Intel i7 10700k
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming H570-PRO
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory Corsair Vengence 16gb 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3060ti 8gb
Storage 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO NvMe m.2
Display(s) 27" LG Ultragear 144hz
Case Fractal Design- Meshify 2
Audio Device(s) Onborad dts
Power Supply Corsair RX 650 W
Mouse Roccat Kiro
Keyboard Razer Tarantula
Software Windows 10 Home x64
I don't know what to say really.... I am an AMD / Nvidia user.:p I wish the best for both companies.

System Name Aryzen / Sairikiki / Tesseract
Processor 5800x / i7 920@3.73 / 5800x
Motherboard Steel Legend B450M / GB EX58-UDP4 / Steel Legend B550M
Cooling Mugen 5 / Pure Rock / Glacier One 240
Memory Corsair Something 16 / Corsair Something 12 / G.Skill 32
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT / AMD 6750XT / Sapphire 7800XT
Storage Way too many drives...
Display(s) LG 332GP850-B / Sony w800b / Sony X90J
Case EVOLV X / Carbide 540 / Carbide 280x
Audio Device(s) SB ZxR + GSP 500 / board / Denon X1700h + ELAC Uni-Fi 2 + Senn 6XX
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GX-750 / Corsair HX750 / Seasonic Focus PX-650
Mouse G700 / none / G602
Keyboard G910
Software w11 64
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks...
Sihastru, thanks for the humorous post :toast:

The DAAMIT cards will be out in October though, and there's someone I need to pass that 9800 to, so...

demos with no products suck ass

Yeah, but they will have graphs! In bright exciting colors!! Probably something similar to this:

As you can see the cards will definitely be fast... Probably... We can't say for sure though....

Attachments

• green-vs-red.jpg
    green-vs-red.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 4,037
System Name Prometheus
Sihastru, thanks for the humorous post :toast:

The DAAMIT cards will be out in October though, and there's someone I need to pass that 9800 to, so...

NP :) It was my intention.

Yes, a G92 or any ATI card that's lower then 4870 may warrant an upgrade. Even to an RV870 card.

Even if the products are not here yet, we'll have a rough idea about the performance, so I don't see the harm. Maybe it is just fear in disguise.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Disclaimer: Most of the comments so far are from ATI fan boys, so I will attempt to equalize the scale a little bit, so don't throw any *snappy* comebacks at me... they are not required.

Since there are absolutely no DX11 games out there, and there are DX10 cards that can play almost all current games (except Crysis - which somehow I've managed to play on my GeForce Go 7900GS tucked somewhere in my Inspiron), I don't see why you'll want to rush over and buy expensive ATI/AMD gear.

Not expensive. It's cheaper than NVIDIA, and powerful at that. People aren't going OMG over DirectX 11, they're going OMG over something that's going to outperform GTX 260 216, GTX 285, and GTX 295, and force NVIDIA to pull down prices. So ATI is doing charity here. That's what people are going OMG about.

And if in this tech demo, the GT300 is more powerful then what ATI has to offer, then I really can't see why you won't wait... unless you have ATI stamped on you brain...
'

If you paid $300 for a GeForce 8800 GTS-512 and don't like the idea of something twice as powerful for half its price, I don't see why you should wait.. unless you have NVIDIA stamped on you brain...

but since you have a GTX295, you could. Since most don't, they needn't.

So when you see an ATI card that performs the same as an nVidia card as the same price, you should know that ATI makes more money then nVidia does. So it is questionable about who is screwing who over. So far nVidia has to cope with very high production costs of the PCB because of wide bus DDR3 implementation, and the presence of the NVIO chip. Hopefully switching to DDR5 will make the PCB a lot simpler and cheaper for nVidia to manufacture and maybe it will have a fighting chance on the price front.

It doesn't matter who's making more money over whom. At the end your money is going to them, they are giving you a graphics card, deal done. Play your game at xxx fps you paid $yyy for.

I see people thinking that RV870 will be hard-launched in September. It will be hard launched in December actually, on the 10th. Repeat after me... September paper launch, December = hard launch. Buying at launch always hurts your wallet. You can repeat that 100 times. :)

Repeat this [insert your value + 1] times: hard launch = available at a store, ready to add in cart, ready to swipe card, ready to take home. And that's way sooner that December 10.

If you own a GTX275 or a HD4890 or better card, buying into this ATI DX11 hype now will hurt later, when prices drop and there are actually DX11 games worth playing. If you have a GTX260 SLI or a 4870/90 CF setup then you're making the biggest mistake of your life.

People gave up GeForce 9800 GX2 for Radeon HD 4870 X2. They gave up 9800 GT for HD 4850. They even gave up HD 4870 X2 for GTX 295, and HD 4850 for GTS 250. It's called incremental upgrades. For those graduating from say a 9800 GT, there's no reason why they shouldn't buy this....or wait for GTX 300 series....or wait for Radeon HD 6000 series...or wait for GTX 400 series......

No. I save $2 a day, so I can buy a $400 card every 6 or so months. Buying high-end hardware every now and then doesn't require being made of money, having rich parents, or an inheritance. All it requires is a hobby....being a computer enthusiast is.

Take it easy, life is hard, don't just kill me yet, wait 9 months, see how it goes.

Yeah keep waiting.

Processor AMD Threadripper 3970x
Motherboard Asus Prime TRX40-Pro
Cooling Custom loop
Memory GSkil Ripjaws 8x32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 TI
Display(s) Alienware AW3420DW
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Corsair HX1200
i actually skip breakfast and lunch for a month or so just so i can save up for a new card. parents arent rich either. being a college student, $100 a month allowance to buy books, food, and supplies isnt a whole lot of cash. you dont gotta have rich parents, an inheritance or be made of money. if you love something, you work hard for it.

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
No. I save $2 a day, so I can buy a $400 card every 6 or so months

Think i might start doing this

System Name Prometheus
I have to admit I do have a little nVidia logo on my brain, with a tiny PhysX logo on my retina (that hurt like hell :p ). It's only because of some personal experiences with products from both companies, and less because of price or performance.

I fear that with the simple modifications ATI made to these cards, there won't be much OMG! performance wise, and we will have to deal with OMG! marketing DX11 and tesselation. But I'm just guessing, not hoping. As I'm also guessing that that GT300 will be a monster and will outperform this. There is a little hoping too, I admit. Just so I can see some smug smiles wiped from some faces.

It does matter which company makes more money. Because people think ATI is a "good" company that cares about more then your money. There's no such thing. They can afford these prices and much less.

Since I have the bloody GTX295, I think it's safe to say that I am a bit of a video card enthusiast. But a time comes when I don't care about benchmarks as much as I care about games.

In my country the GTX295 costs just 25 Euros more then an HD4870X2... Strange, but what can you do... it's life... So your situation may not be the same as my situation. I am not made of money, but I can afford to buy this new not benchmarked yet ATI card even at 400 Euros. But is it going to make a difference over a GTX295. If it's not going to make a huge 400 Euro difference, then is it a good idea to buy this card? We'll see. Is the GT300 going to make the same difference over the RV870 that the RV870 made on the dual GT200? Then is this difference enough to warrant an upgrage from RV870 to a GT300? We'll see...

Waiting in vain for the next best thing is not what I meant. But RV870 and GT300 are the same generation (or will be). Waiting for the other next generation is not what I am proposing. I am only urging people to maintain a critical eye and consider both options. Even if GT300 is more expensive maybe it will be also more powerful... Who knows... we'll see...

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
ATI won't invest in new hardware if it can't outperform convincingly. There's a reason why there's no HD 4890 X2. ATI knows DirectX 11 and a bunch of new technologies alone won't be enough to sell HD 5000 series. DirectX 10.1 couldn't. See?

System Name Prometheus
I am hoping this is true. Until now every new card outperformed the card it was replacing two fold. But the numbers don't quite add up, maybe there's something I'm missing or the details that were made public so far are not true.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
To be honest, we don't know how fast it's going to be. For the good of even those with "NVIDIA" tattooed or even branded on some part of their bodies, let's hope the new cards are fast(er). So that even they can buy NVIDIA hardware for cheap.

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
While you guys are buying these.

I will be getting a GTX 260, at my res it should be more then enough for gaming.:)

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
Will you change you're graphics card and buy ATi 5800 series?? You only have 8800GTS and that's an old thing..I bet you will

see...I don't get this, I have an 8800gts 512 OC'd and in my e8600 rig and with everything as it is I can run any game at just about any setting except crysis which with all settings on high except one I think at 1680 x 1020 I never go below 30 fps generally and more often than not it's showing 50-70 in the fraps counter...yes I'd like to upgrade, but truthfully unless I must have anti-aliasing and every setting as high as possible and 2560 x 1600 resolution on everything as I said I can run any current game with great fluidity and at settings that are nothing to be scoffed at. So needing a 295gtx I think is a fallacy and a myth unless perfection is required, and price and heat aren't an issue:). And I'll really laugh if these new cards will keep up with 500$ current cards with less heat, better oc'ing and at a 300'ish dollar price point.

System Name Mr. Reliable
Processor Ryzen R9 5950x
Motherboard MSI Meg X570s Ace Max
Cooling D5 Pump, Singularity Top/Res, 2x360mm EK P rads, EK Magnitude/Alphacool Blocks
Memory 32Gb (4x8Gb) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600Mhz @ 16/19/20/36 1.35v
Video Card(s) MSI 3080ti with Alphacool Block
Storage 2 x Corsair Force MP400 1TB Nvme; 2 x T-Force Cardea Z340; 2 x Mushkin Reactor 1TB
Display(s) Acer 32" Z321QU 2560x1440; LG 34GP83A-B 34" 3440x1440
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL; Synology DS218j w/ 2 x 2TB WD Red
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Pro+
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850G3
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Das Keyboard 6; Razer Orbweaver Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
While you guys are buying these.

I will be getting a GTX 260, at my res it should be more then enough for gaming.:)

This is sorta the same plan I have...Buy a pair of 4890s when the 5000 series launch (price drop) then grab a pair of 5870s when the GT300 series launch (another price drop)...I think NVidia is a good company, but their cost of production drives their cards out of my price range...The GT300 might be more powerful than the RV870, but when I am gaming will my eyes be able to tell the $$$ difference? I think not...

ATI has provided great bang for buck in recent years, while NVidia only provides the bang if you are willing to part with more bucks...;)

Also, I am a dual card junkie (dual cards make the girls get wet ;)) and lets all face it, CrossfireX scales MUCH better than SLI...Just my opinion.

Give me the GT300 that will romp 5870 and price it at ~$300 and NVidia will probably have a new customer...until then, I will stick with ATI :D

AltecV1

Processor C2D E8400@3.6 ghz
Motherboard ASUS P5KPL-AM
Cooling Freezer 7 pro
Memory Kingston 4GB 800Mhz cl6
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4850 700/1000 + Accelero S1 Rev. 2
Storage WD 250 GB AAKS
Display(s) 22" Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
Audio Device(s) int.
Power Supply Forton Blue Storm II 500W
Software Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
please stop with the ati and nvidia bashing!!!:shadedshu

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

AltecV1

Processor C2D E8400@3.6 ghz
Motherboard ASUS P5KPL-AM
Cooling Freezer 7 pro
Memory Kingston 4GB 800Mhz cl6
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4850 700/1000 + Accelero S1 Rev. 2
Storage WD 250 GB AAKS
Display(s) 22" Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
Audio Device(s) int.
Power Supply Forton Blue Storm II 500W
Software Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
I don't see any bashing. Carry on.

you dont see it because you dont have the gift of reading between the lines,like me:)

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
I am usually a nvidia fanboy o_O, and if nvidia can show me a good gpu with good specs then I might wait, but if ATI shows up teh party and releases the 5870 with 1600SP's then I'm just gonna buy that instead unless nvidia really blows my mind with their demo, I'm using a 8800GS right now since I sold my main PC to build a new one, and since a 1600SP 5870 will probably outperform a 4870X2, im game for that.

But nvidia has a reputation of overpricing all their cards at launch, which makes me look to the red camp.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Nvidia is making less per unit than ATI due to their monolithic monster, competitive prices & performance, and yield loss on that huge die.

Simply put, they gambled and lost.

The huge upgrade for the 4890 was the clocking ability, they are catering to the extreme overclockers, can you imagine what four 4890's with 2GB RAm each and a quad at 6GHz would do to benchmarks? I have a 940 at 3.75Ghz currently, and am waiting for the 58XX series with 2GB on them to get the performance I want.

I can think of a few reasons to buy it, more vmem, more speed, and new support. So right now there are very few games I can't play at max settings, and the only reason i have to upgrade is to play GTA4 at max settings.....which requires more vmem, and if when that time comes Nvidia has a superior product with enough junk to run it, at a price I can afford, they win.

Last edited: