1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Responds to Questions About Consistency of Features Across Platforms

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jun 20, 2012.

?

NVIDIA's Response Is...

1. Satisfactory, diplomatic

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Evasive, dodgy

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. A combination of both the above options

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    NVIDIA posted a statement following last week's interactive session lead by Linus Torvalds, at a Finnish University, which didn't end too well for NVIDIA. The audience complained to Torvalds about lack of consistency between features available to Windows and Linux, and NVIDIA's stubbornness to help the community come up with alternative solutions to get the advertised features (such as Optimus) to work. NVIDIA's statement focuses on exactly that, consistency of features across platforms, and states that it is one of NVIDIA's priorities.

The statement by NVIDIA doesn't refute any of what a member of the audience complained about. There is still no proper Optimus feature made available by NVIDIA to Linux users, but a reminder that NVIDIA recently made changes to its drivers that makes interface with an alternative system software made by various open-source communities, the Bumblebee Project, easier. Said the statement "While we understand that some people would prefer us to provide detailed documentation on all of our GPU internals, or be more active in Linux kernel community development discussions, we have made a decision to support Linux on our GPUs by leveraging NVIDIA common code, rather than the Linux common infrastructure. While this may not please everyone, it does allow us to provide the most consistent GPU experience to our customers, regardless of platform or operating system."

The statement follows:

Source: Phoronix
  2. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Considering that Linux is only a tiny amount of the whole "operating system" environment, and Torvald's complaints only pertain to most probably 1% of Linux systems, Torvald ended up making a fool out of himself. For every one Linux system out there that could have used the features he complains about, there are nine Linux systems out there that have no use for the features he complains about.
    Assimilator says thanks.
  3. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    That may be true for personal computers but out there in the server and hpc world where, you know nvidia is kind of trying to become relevant and an important player, linux is more like 75% of all computers... and as far as i know those fancy Tesla cards need drivers too because fairy dust don't cut it.
  4. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Torvald complained about Optimus, which isn't relevant to anything you mentioned.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
    sanadanosa says thanks.
  5. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
    HPC market won't care about open source driver, they want stability and they've no need to tweak anything in the driver (they won't play games or watch HD videos). NVIDIA closed source driver will serve them well.

Most of the complaints come from kernel developer and end user.
    Kernel/driver developers want their distro to support as many features as possible (e.g : Optimus) and better support for as many game titles as possible to avoid complaints from end user.
  6. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    maybe in the HPC world... most of corporate america is moving away from linux/unix, and has been for some time.
  7. Assimilator

Assimilator

Thanks Received:
    This is exactly what I said in the other thread: nVIDIA aren't going to release features for 1% of their users if those features will potentially cause issues for the other 99%. And I was called a fanboy for pointing out the obvious... :rolleyes:
  8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I think what Torvalds wants--and what we all should want--is standardized component power management not unlike ACPI's S1-S4. The hardware itself should monitor for activity and if it is idle and there is something to fall back on, it should do so. For example, discreet GPUs should fall back on integrated GPUs, hard drives and solid state drives should fall back on RAM (turn off, when enough data accumulates to write, turn the device back on do read/writes, turn it off again), media drives should have power cut off to them completely (except open button) when they contain media, etc. Look at every component of the system and look for ways to conserve power.

Torvalds could jury rig a solution if NVIDA's (or anyone's) GPU switching capabilties were standardized in the hardware as opposed to implemented in the drivers.

Batteries aren't improving fast enough so the only way to get better battery life is to cut consumption everywhere possible.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    But at the same time he said NVIDIA is one of the worst to work with...so that means he wasn't only talking about Optimus.

As you can see he also mentioned Android (Tegra 3) which is a huge market.
  10. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    That is bullshit and you know it. I manage 11 servers, and every single one of them runs linux. We had two Windows servers and we hated the application and Windows so much that we ditched it and put *nix on those servers and abandoned the ASP.net app we were running.

Source
    In other words, Unix is phasing out, and linux is growing and catching up to Windows at a steady pace.
  11. acerace

acerace

Thanks Received:
    Are you?
  12. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a basic marketing ad on their features. They should really give an explanation to the community.
  13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps this was just a specific current example, and nVidia has been like this from day one?

It seems people forget that nVidia is a SOFTWARE COMPANY that sells some hardware too, and as such, software design and patenting is a huge part of the equity they carry. They are in the business, not of providing software for free, but in selling it...and not to the end user, but to those that provide content to the end user(which is what Torvalds provides for free).

Torvalds' complaints are 100% legit, unfortunately, but he's balking at the very reason nVidia exists, which is foolish. As and Open-Source developer, his focus is providing software for free, so truly, nVidia and Torvalds are anathema of each other. They will never work well together, and are very likely to never agree, too. What exactly is the big deal here?

I just see you minimizing Torvalds' position, even though his postition about this subject is dead-on, and denying such denies that nVidia is what they are...a software company. Frankly, I'm even surprised this whole thing is even getting as much attention as it is right now. This is truly nothing new.

The fact that nVidia felt they must respond about such things, and publically so soon, says far more than I'd rather comment on, really. Must be some new staff.:shadedshu They's just gone and validated Torvalds' postition here. Sometimes it is best to STFU.
    Cheeseball says thanks.
  14. Assimilator

Assimilator

Thanks Received:
    If "fanboy" means "preferring quality and stability above everything else", then yes.
  15. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Added a poll.
  16. acerace

acerace

Thanks Received:
    If you're "preferring quality and stability above everything else", then why bother people calls you a fanboy. Everybody knows that is not a fanboy means.
  17. Disruptor4

Thanks Received:
    That survey may say one thing, but each company is different. I know at my work (global company with well over 150k employees in over 30 countries, that we use a majority of windows servers compared to linux. "A million to one" is what I was told (of course exaggerating, but you get the point)
  18. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Because I work with more that a dozen of clients I can confirm this: ALL the big customers are using only Windows servers, while the smaller ones use Linux, but not all. I would say that at the moment Linux has like 1-2% share of the market, which is quite a lot if you ask me. Also good luck trying to find very good Linux tech support for the servers...
  19. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    A good systems admin shouldn't need tech support to run a linux server. That is a sign of an admin who can't do his job. :wtf:
    Cheeseball says thanks.