1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Talks PC Gaming Trends - Back to Reality

Discussion in 'Games' started by nt300, Nov 14, 2011.

?

What do you Game On?

Poll closed Nov 13, 2012.
  1. PC

100.0%
  2. XBOX 360

12.2%
  3. Playstation 3

17.1%
  4. Wii

9.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    By 2014, PC gaming will surpass console gaming. This to me sounds like both Sony and Microsoft may come out with new consoles to keep pressure on the PC which is 10x faster and has 10x better graphics.

But still there's a strong gaming market for PC gaming. In 2011 PC gaming is at $17 Billion and Console gaming combined (XBOX 360/PS3/Wii) is $24 Billion. And according to year long trends, in 2012 we are seeing just under $20 Billion for the PC and just above $20 Billion for game consoles. There's absolutely a strong market for both and both are making Billions upon Billions in sales with future trends showing the PC gaming market aggressively growing.

This should be enough indication to motivate both Intel, AMD and Nvidia to continue with high performance discrete graphics and multi-core CPU's.

NVIDIA Talks PC Gaming Trends
    http://techgage.com/article/nvidia_talks_pc_gaming_trends/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I think that consoles like the Wii are suited very well to be used with your friends/family and that kind of gaming can never be ported to PC to an extent.
    On the other side what I really like of the PC is the image quality that it's expensive and hard to probably get on a console and I'd never play a Super Mario Kart on the PC or a Battlefield 3 or Skyrim on a console.

In the end, there are games suited for the console environment and games suited for PC environment.
    This is naturally my point of view :)
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, consoles are stronger than ever. That's reality. I was at Gamestop for the Skyrim release and they had three lines. One for PC which consisted 8 people including myself. One for Ps3 which had about 20 people and the Xbox360 crowd which went from the counter to the back of the store and outside. Doesn't mean there isn't a maket for high end GPU's. There's just a much bigger market for consoles. Of course Nvidia is going to blow smoke like this since they've been cut out from hardware for any of the new consoles coming out in the future. Where's this reality they speak of? Cool story Nvidia.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  4. theubersmurf

theubersmurf

Thanks Received:
    Where did you hear this? The next generation of consoles sound as if they're in the process of being planned, I can't even imagine all of the bidding for manufacture of parts has begun yet, though maybe I'm wrong. Did you read this somewhere?
  5. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    man just think how beatifull games would be if they were always coded for pc always trying to make it better and more beatifull...oh man i can dream
    nt300 says thanks.
  6. erocker

Thanks Received:
    All I've heard/read is AMD and ARM.

They are. In fantasyland.:)
  7. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    I read somewhere AMD got the graphics contracts for both XBox 720 and PS4 and Intel got the CPU contract for the PS3 and XBox 720 will be IBM's CPUs. But I read this somewhere around last Christmas off either Fudzilla or The Inquirer, or was it Charlies SemiAccurate :confused: :)

It said something about Microsoft will never go with Intel or Nvidia because they both screwed up the original XBOX. Also the next XBox has been in development for some time now which means to be the graphics will be at least 2 to 3 generations older than current PC on its release date. Not sure about PS4, though it could be the same thing.
  8. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    I think digital distribution for PC is stronger than ever. PC games retail "is not dead but it smells funny". On Steam right now there are 250.000 people playing Skyrim.
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  9. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    physical copies are going the way of the dodo.

you might as well have said "I was at blockbuster getting a movie to rent..."

your line comparison fails.

1. pc = downloaded copies are king or ordering online.

2. consoles have limited download options as most have nowhere near the amount of storage necessary to download all their games onto. Some will order online, but stores like gamestop base their existence off of those who don't. IE dinosaurs.

Sorry bud but that comparison has no actaully validity in this argument. Much like dvd's replaced vhs, downloaded copies are now replacing retail copies for pc games at least.

If the next gen consoles come with more storage you'll likely see it on them as well.
  10. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    In the future Steam sales alone will top all consoles sales ;D buy your stocks now..
  11. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't matter. Games will still be made for consoles first. Why? Less time, less resources, less money. Profit, profit, profit.
    Solaris17, MatTheCat and Animalpak say thanks.
  12. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    PC, PS3 & 360 here. I voted for all three.
  13. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    that's because all retail copies are steamworks copies. unless they are set to offline or offline mode, or have pirated it - every single person playing skyrim would be shown on steam stats.
  14. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    as consoles improve to look and act more like PC's that becomes less of an issue.

right now the console connects to the net plays games and can do a variety of other small tasks. My gut tells me consoles will likely move into replace tivo in the next gen or so as well. Essentially they'll become less single task oriented and more media center pc oriented. So as long as the game also comes out on PC and still looks good I'll still buy my expensive gpu's and play on my pc.
  15. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I think a lot of "sales" for PC are driven by "smartphones." Smartphones are rapidly stealing sales away from PSP and Nintendo 3DS through microtransactions.

Except the fact that they all use IBM's architecture and often proprietary graphics technology that doesn't translate at all into the Windows sector. They have to develop first for consoles because consoles have little nuiances they have to fine tune in order to make the game work at all (memory management being the most important). They can get away with a lot more on Windows because of the ability for people to upgrade their hardware if their untuned software runs poorly.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. theubersmurf

theubersmurf

Thanks Received:
    The irony of that being that consoles are in a way diminutive functionality PCs, and on any modern PC with a PCIe slot, you could in many cases, simply add a moderately priced video card to make a system gameworthy. Hell you could just about go back to Athlon x2's (I think the pentium four's would be a bit far back) and have a moderately viable gaming platform. (Provided you're not running an RTS) but still...As consoles approach the functionality of PCs, those consoles become gaming pcs and we've come full circle back to the PC. And we likely shouldn't have left.
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  17. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    While now the money is where the console is, their future is uncertain. The mobile market is growing at an incredible pace. And the PC is mobile, Mac is mobile, gaming console as we now it is not.
  18. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    exact consoles holding back the evolution of video games because the hardware remains the same...

If I remember correctly the graphics card of the PS3 or xbox360 is comparable to the GTX 470 ? Or worse ... 9800 GTX
  19. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    less than a 9800gtx, the xbox360 uses 3 modified ati x1800 cores. The result of which is more likley relatable to a 9600gt without dx10 than a 9800gtx.

the others have even less powerful solutions
    Dent1 says thanks.
  20. DigitalUK

DigitalUK New Member

Thanks Received:
    i thought the ps3 ran a modifed nvidia 78xx series card
  21. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure the Xbox 360 only has 1 GPU core. However it has 3 IBM CPU cores.

According to this article, its GPU is similar to a modified 1900 XTX, which would be on par with 8600GT - the 9600GT would destroy all the above mentioned.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/26/radeon-equivalent-to-xbox-360-over-500/

That is just 1 game, in 1 shop in 1 country. And it doesnt take into consideration of digital download.
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  22. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Developers hold back on the evolution of games not Consoles, and by evolution i assume you really mean visually and not game mechanics etc. The problem is that the developers are not using the PC to their advantages, so all those extra resources that PC's have is not put to use because they'd rather copy and paste the same code over to the PC instead of catering to each platform. I can never understand why people put the blame Consoles considering it's developers choosing to create games on the platform that they know tends to sell a lot more so they take the lazy way out by creating a game around Consoles, the main game selling platforms and then try to grab more money by just copy and pasting the same thing over to the PC, hence PC gamers start raging about how their GTX 580 is useless.

Oh and at E3 2006 it was unveiled that the PS3 is as powerful as 2x 6600 GT's, so ya their hardware is shit by today's standard.
    Animalpak says thanks.
  23. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
  24. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Think about the graphics Tech in 2005-2006
  25. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Game companies need to grow thick skin and start creating games using 100x more powerful PC technology. None of this console port nonesense.
    LINK:
    http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/battlefield3-interview

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011