1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Working on GeForce GTX TITAN Ultra and GTX TITAN LE

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Apr 22, 2013.

1. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN

Thanks Received:
    GTX 460 was one of the best if not the best midrange card I have ever owned. What mess?

Same goes for 8800GT, GTX 260...

2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    my point isn't that they are expensive, my point is that i can do many many more things with $1000 than just play video games at OMGFAP FPS.

3. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    Downclocking, stutters, low gpu usage, etc.. That's why i opt for GF110 in the first place and good thing i did.

I've actively followed nvidia forums and i saw multiple complains about it - there are still quite a few issues.. GK104 aka 680gtx had similar symptoms, most got fixed but yeah after a good year or so..

Anyway lets leave this for another topic :p

4. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    I dont think its the price but the perceived value in general.

GPU cycle before its replaced by something better at same price or less average 2yrs, 2yr 1/2 max.

Like my office chair preferance. A $80 to $300 dollar chair would do me just fine. Not so good quality, horrible on body but it will last me 2-3yrs.

A Hermin Miller chair on the other hand will last minimal 12yrs (guarantee) cost $800-$1500 much and is much more comfortable and adjustable. All my home desk chairs are Herman Millers office chairs (Aeron, Mirra, Embody) and you dont have to worry about a cheaper version since they wont feel the same.

You also dont get the same customer service aswell. A GPU vendor isnt going to send out a certified chair personal (Yes, they actually have those since I had a issue with one of the arm rest a few years back) to your home to fix or replace an issue for you free of charge.

5. MicroUnC

MicroUnC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Damn bastards Nvidia, clipping 1K cards one after another. An additional SMX unit, ohhh WOW.....

6. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    So if they're giving us the 780 and 770 now what are they going to do for their next release cycle? Just drop prices to fit in around the 8000 series? We know they certainly could afford to. I can just picture the grins over at nvidia when they saw the 7000 series performance numbers. They knew they'd be rolling in cash for a few years. Suddenly they find themselves a year ahead of their competition, rearranging bargain parts and giving them top shelf prices, no longer under any pressure to rush anything to market. They could probably cut their prices in half and slaughter AMD if they wanted to. It just such a ridiculous gap technology gap right now.

7. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    To quote a semi-smart guy :D

Titan Ultra is doubt full since the article is writen from a speculation point or did everyone miss that along with the 8970 reference. :laugh:

It would also mean after 2yrs+ Nvidia finaly would deliver a fully functional GK110. Meaning enough of them are bad over a 2yr manufacturing process that up until now its had enough quantity for a GeForce variant.
    Highly unlikely and Nvidia would be screaming out there lungs through press releases to taunt a fully working GK110 to the HPC community. Which hasnt happened.

From the speculation piece as fas as performance it looks like the TITAN LE which is likely due out. will be on par with 7970 GHZ Edition. Paying extra $200-$300 doesnt seam that well thought out.

Be curiouse if the TITAN issues will plague the TITAN LE.

8. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, the Titan Cray would have definitely been the first choice for a full fledged GK110, which at this point in their timeline wasn't possibile due to yields.

I'm more and more inclined to think that the additional SMX acts as a buffer of tolerance between defective dies and I wouldn't be surprised if some Titan/K20X products do not share the exact same CUDA cluster disabled.

Which issues? My Titans work flawlessly.

9. HumanSmoke

HumanSmoke

Thanks Received:
    If it were two years then I doubt that there would be as much whining in this thread - or possibly the whining would be of a different flavour..."about time, why'd it take so long".

First shipments of GK110 occurred 7 months ago, and taped out in January 2012- which would make late-March the date of the first run-time verification. Hardly "2+ years".

10. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    All I can think of is the voltage and power limits? Apart from that, there is nothing technically wrong with it from a manufacturing standpoint. Price is nuts obviously but so is my PC.

And these limits are arguably a derivative of the HPC eco friendly tag the Titan has. I'm running now at 1124MHz core with 6650MHz memory on 1.18v. This is giving me 10-15% above stock. No issues here at all. :cool:

11. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    We all knew faster cards that Titan would be released, and heck, for even less money there were already "better" alternatives if you are into bragging rights like high scores and FPS numbers (that actually mean little in terms of user satisfaction), it's a known fact of our little "hobbie" that you're never truly done building your ultimate gaming rig.

I have thorougly enjoyed my Titans, and in all my years building computers, seldomly I've felt so satisfied with my investment (Voodoo 2, Radeon 9800, GeForce 6800 to cite these "halo" cards).

The fact that this Ultra card might be coming out, doesn't bother me the slightlest, why would it? I love my cards, and love the fact that for the first time I had the courage to go with water cooling to fully reach their potential, that's how I think most Titan card owners feel (or any other ppl who love being on the bleeding edge of performance), and in fact, if Ultra means you can get a second or a third Titan for a lower price, then the more power to you :)

That's my two cents anyways :p

12. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Hmm.... Hadn't looked at it that way.....

No, one's enough for me...

for now

13. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    Rest can be attributed to driver related stuff but thats my curiosity if its going to be any different then the TITAN from feedback they've gotten or not.

14. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry but I stopped at "Nvidia Forums"

15. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Nvidia would be great if they would quit charging a premium for their products.

16. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    So drivers then. Well, just as well they're generally pretty sound then.

No, i don't see any plaguing issues tbh. But if you keep looking on forums about faults on a card you don't own you will find exactly what you want to find. Bad science.

17. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    Yet, your here in an forum. :rolleyes:

Where else would you have people go to look for answers for there hardware. Forums most likely be it ChipMaker or AIB distributor you can filter most of the community cheerleading

Soap box post :rolleyes:

No, I actually look on the Forums for cards I do own and see if those issues have been corrected in new series for possible upgrades.

I dont asume since I dont have an issue with something that someone should have the same experience as I do, nor if they dont that his issue is un-warrented since it doesnt match my experience there for void.

Even after that I go ahead and buy 3 or 4 cards and bring them home and see if those issues are indeed corrected.

I was getting to the point of if its less AIB restricted then the TITAN, TITAN LE could be a better buy and better OC friendly.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  18. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Are you seriously comparing TPU to nV forums? Please don't

19. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Hope this worth much more than the actual Titan.

20. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Really, AMD is slapping them silly right now with cheap prices on cards that perform better then Nvidia's cards, with 3 Free AAA titles. :nutkick:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  21. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    Add to that the fact that my 7970s reimbursed themselves and made me $1k so far in profit from BTC and yeah...

I can handle needing to use a framerate limiter in gaming.

But cheers to all you guys dropping several dimes on e-peen graphics cards... they sure look impressive (and my cards were definitely bought in part as e-peen cards when they launched, so I understand the motive) :toast:

james888 says thanks.
  22. Fluffmeister

Fluffmeister

Thanks Received:
    nVidia card prices haven't budged because they are still selling at there respective price points, why drop prices when you don't need to?

AMD are doing what they need to do, but make no mistake they would love to be able to sell their cards for a higher price if they could.

23. jihadjoe

jihadjoe

Thanks Received:
    Attention, Titan users that we suckered into thinking you would be having the fastest single GPU card for a few years to come: Please buy this new ULTRA card to retain that epeen. :laugh:

--Nvidia, April 2013

BigMack70 says thanks.
  24. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Because they are overpriced.

25. Fluffmeister

Fluffmeister

Thanks Received:
    Does it upset you nVidia sell more cards at a higher price? :rockout: