1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia's GTX680 gets thrashed by AMD's mid-range Radeon HD 7870 in GPU compute Sourc

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Protagonist, Mar 20, 2012.

1. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    honestly. This is a god for saken gaming card. nvidia i guess decreased compute performance so that their Tesla/Quadro cards would get more attention. The amount of people who will be getting the 680 will buy it all for gaming. only a small percentage will even care to look and compute benchmarks.
    Jeffredo says thanks.
  2. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    um have you not been around long enough to realize that next gen cards a priced basically the same as previous gen cards were at launch. Next gen caards released they are priced then the last gen they recieve price drops. How do you think some people felt when they got the GTX480 and then the GTX580 released? It won't be any different when GK110 is released
  3. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Dude don't DBL post ;)

It was a smart move by Nvidia if you think about it; they were able to trade some compute performance for better overall power/efficiency. It's a DBL win for them because it make's their new gaming GPU look good and it force's people to buy their workstation card's (workstation card's are always expensive no?) instead of being possibly able to use a single card :eek: That Nvidia machine at work again ;)
    MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  4. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    Yes it will be different, i don't have to explain why, GK110 was supposed to be GTX680 in reality so GK104 should not cost this much, reason being from what its made from
  5. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    You do have to explain why if you want anyone to acknowledge you. I dont understand your logic. GK100 is what the GTX680 was suppose to be apparently, but it was proven to be a bit to much for TSMC to manufactor so they went with GK104 and made an amazing chip. the GTX"780" Will not be all that much more expensive then the GTX680 if at all. the 680 will just get a price cut like the GTX480 did when the 580 was released. it went to about 330 on the egg while the 580 was up at 499.

I still wouldnt say the GTX680 is getting thrashed in direct computer because its still beating the GTX590
  6. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    Which just goes to show AMD got GPU compute right with GCN. Which is a good thing for their fusion line, eh?
  7. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    if this shit would have been posted on XS it would have been shot down within 2minutes.

"look, look look..... i was right"

thats all i see here.

the card JUST came out. wait for driver optimizations then you'll see that nvidia will kick your ati loving ass and you wont have a thing to talk about.

oh and keep in mind... the gtx680 is the "mid range" card.
    AnomalouS and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
  8. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    Can not be tweaked by a simple driver update, this is more hardware than software, read the post, read the GTX680 review
  9. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    A long, long, long time ago, when the so-called "furnace" came out (first-gen Fermi: GTX 480), it was criticized by several people for being too hot and too expensive for a slight advantage over the HD 5870. Back then its prowess in GPU compute was deemed irrelevant and insignificant.

Now the GTX 680 arrives, and looks like those very same people are suddenly trumpeting the advantages in GPGPU of the 7970.
  10. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Well it doesn't matter. Hardware doesn't work without software. If the hardware is truly as weak as shown then yeah maybe, but then again the card jsut released and drivers will boost its performance in everything.
  11. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    One might ask, why bother? Well, compute GPU performance can't rely on tweaked drivers, application detection turnarounds and similar tricks as well as other such shortcuts. It is pure, raw processing ability that defines the GPU general purpose computing useability. After all, Nvidia created the GPGPU market and CUDA programming environment. This situation not only badly hurts its prestige in this area but also forces the need for a, say, GK110 'real Kepler high end' follow-on to be delivered soon. Not to mention, Nvidia's GPU compute optimised cards like Tesla sell for thousands apiece, even though they are based on essentially the same dies as high end consumer GPUs, therefore GPU compute is important.
  12. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    why do I even bother with this thread. Compute doesn't mean shit to me.

Ill just leave this here

Direct Computer != Gaming Performance. This is a gaming card, Direct Compute is Irrelavent
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  13. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    I don't buy a dedicated GPU to try to save the world or build a better mouse trap. I buy it to game with. I'd wager that's what the vast majority buy them for. If GCN is much better at compute, fine, give it to AMD. If Kepler is faster and more efficient in gaming, good for Nvidia (and it is). I have a feeling there'll be a lot more publicity and accolades for the latter. And speaking of that, I have some more games to play.
  14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    next gen gaming will use compute shaders. we're entering into the era were that will seriously be used for in game features, now that almost every gamer has DX11 class hardware (thanks to BF3 breaking the ground, DX11 exclusives will happen more and more)

since this card has a weakspot there, it may be a problem for future titles.
  15. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Hence this is GK104, and not yet GK110.
  16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    just because its not a deal breaker, doesnt mean its not a negative. people should be aware of this GPU's strengths and flaws.
  17. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN

Thanks Received:
    You are missing the fact we are limited by consoles. Every GPU sold now is outdated very badly before GK104's GPGPU performance is even a slight problem in games.

Completely wrong to say every gamer has DX11 hardware now. And DX11 game doesn't mean it even uses DC. The pretty much only game to do so is CIV V and GTX 680 is faster than Tahiti in it as well.
  18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    limited by consoles is ending. its years til the next consoles come out, so PC is taking off now. they want to have PC games using this tech, so that its got its kinks worked out when the consoles come out, so they can use it there (compute shaders will be an enormous benefit to consoles)

I never said every gamer has DX11 hardware - but most certainly do. even budget laptops and desktops with integrated GPU's are DX11 gaming capable (AMD's APU's). dont forget that DX11 apps/games run on DX10 hardware, with some features disabled.

Just because few games use it now means nothing, unless you're the kind of person to buy new video card every launch. most people use their cards for years.

I have not said its a critical feature, nor should it stop people buying the card. but nonetheless, it should be known.
  19. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN

Thanks Received:
    You conflicted yourself right there. The console limit does not end a day before next gen consoles pop out the market. You should see the numbers, PC gaming is minority as painful as it sounds.

I also agree people should know about the performance. That is why there is CIV V in the bechies. By all means add more games using DC to the reviews when they pop out.
  20. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Consoles are way dated now. Most are using DX9 still. I have been on DX11 for some time now (2 years now?) And I would venture to guess that 99% of TPU users are on DX11. The fact that consoles have slowed down the progression of PC games is a fact. They keep the market stagnant. Now with the age waning on the console systems and people seeing (Most for the first time) PC gaming looking far better there is a renewed push for people to get the new tech and run better games. Like BF3 and Metro 2033.
    I myself have liked both ATI and Nvidia and really think that they are both great! I however do not see this as a thrashing at all. Nvidia will have a new GPU out very soon that will do just fine.
  21. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Meh
  22. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Just FYI, but the rumor floating around the F@H forums is that the card is artificially crippled in GPGPU by the driver or card BIOS to a level that won't affect gamers, but will affect professionals, to give the Quadro line an advantage.

Again, it is just a rumor heard on some forums, so take it with a grain of salt, but it does make sense, and it wouldn't be the first time nVidia or AMD has crippled consumer cards to make their professional cards look more appealing.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
    Mussels and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  23. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking that too. and in that case like ive said before, if its the drivers that cripple the DC performance of this card, maybe nvidia could improve if they really want too, but I think that they should still definitely focus on game performance, and leave DC to their Tesla/Quadro Line up
  24. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    And its not even getting all that thrashed either. It does fine in CiV
  25. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    I know, Right? :shadedshu