1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NZXT Phantom 530

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Darksaber, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2013
    Nabarun and Ikaruga say thanks.
  2. JThorpe

Thanks Received:
    Darksaber,

I have a questions regarding the fan PCB.

Will the fans spin at 100%?

Does your comment in the conclusion part, mean that it would draw to much power?

I read some comments from people who have purchased the 530, and they stated that the fans that are connected to the PCB, when switched the highest setting will not go to 100%.

I am looking at this case for my build, and I would like to know if I need to purchase a fan controler. I would be only connecting 4 fans (200mm, 140mm, 2x 120mm).

Thank you in advance for the response.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  3. Darksaber

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

am I correct to assume, that you mean to connect only 4 fans to the PCB unit in total? That should not pose a problem as you have around 7W for each fan then.

A BitFenix 200 mm LED equipped fan - one of the fastest spinning 200 mm retail units on the market - draws around 4W at 12V, a NZXT FZ fan a bit less, around 3.4W at 12V.

Smaller fans, will draw less, so even a high powered 120 mm unit (below 3000 rpm) draws around 3W, unless you go for something with 4000+ RPM like a Scythe Gentle Typhoon, which can draw up to 14W if you go for the 5400 RPM unit. The Jou Jye BW-1238B-PWM takes the cake at 6000 RPM, over 50W (!!) draw and a noise level just shy of 70db(a) (insane).

Thus - unless you go all out - your setup won't draw more than 14-20W at most.

So for your scenario, you won't have to worry about the capacity of the PCB. I am not aware of the fans not spinning at full speed, but I can confirm that you can adjust the fan speed of the connected units accordingly with the included fan controller.

Now you can see, why I call 30W weak. Those running an elaborate water cooling setup will easily end up using all 10 spots, which means that you may not use more than 3W a fan - too little for such a setup. If NZXT would have gone with a 50 or 60W capacity, it would have been awesome.

4. JThorpe

Thanks Received:
    Darksaber,

Thank you for the response.

I just got worried because i read a few comments on Newegg, that said the fans that were connected were not running at 100%, even when the switch was set the highest setting. Maybe there were just running with numerous fans.

Thank you again.

5. commander calamitous New Member

Thanks Received:
    Love this case

Spacious, sturdy, great airflow, white LEDs that can be toggled on and off, great fan control

6. BigBoi

BigBoi

Thanks Received:
    Great review!

I just want to ask something...
    I've read that the H100i's screw holes doesn't align to the mounting holes of this case. Is this true?

7. JThorpe

Thanks Received:
    I read the same thing. I am planning on using an H100i in my build, so I would be curious on the answer to this.

8. Darksaber

Thanks Received:
    Well I cannot give you any feedback on that unfortunately. I do not have a hardware warehouse attached to my little workshop ;)

9. chodaboy19

Thanks Received:
    It would be helpful if you added some pictures with the HDD cages removed.

10. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    The Swiftech H220 and H320 come with 4-pin fan hub bundled, which means we won't have to use the 30w fan controller for the cpu cooler, if we go that route (and I plan to do that - P630 and H320 ;) ).

11. EpicShweetness

EpicShweetness

Thanks Received:
    I just can't fall in love with the plastic, but maybe I'm spoiled. Still wait about 6-8 months and the price might fall to $99, and at that price I would be hard pressed to hate plastic for the many MANY features you get. The light over the I/O panel amazing :rockout: