1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Oblivion HDR antialasing mod?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Solaris17, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    ok so i thought i heard rumor a while back of a hack or a patch that enabled HDR and antialaising on oblivion/other games for the nvidia cards...can anyone confirm or point me in the right direction?

2. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    nvidia 7 series cant do it. 8800's can. Just set AA in your video control panel and set hdr in oblivion.

3. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I know what he's talking about, although I'm not sure if there is such a patch for Oblivion. What he's referring to is the way CS:S does HDR and AA at the same time, even on GeForce 7 series cards. I did some pretty extensive testing on the matter, and a few other members here confirmed it.

4. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    CSS and HalfLife2 use a different approach to HDR than most games. They use INT16 HDR which has a higher performance hit vs FP16 HDR but they do not require sm3. INT16 HDR is completly software based and therefore can run on just about any video card and allows HDR + AA on any hardware. FP16 HDR (oblivion, dirt, bioshock) is easier on performance, easier to code, but requires SM3 and will not allow AA unless the card has the memory bandwidth and capability on the hardware.

There is no such patch for Oblivion turning it from FP16 to INT16 as that would require the entire engine to be recoded.

According to your sysspecs you are running a 8600, set AA in your control panel and you should have AA + HDR.

5. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, at least my info was correct lol

6. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    There is a patch, but its for ATi, no nVidia. nVidia cards cant do HDR+AA, its a hardware limitation(pre 8 series). I'm unsure if your 8600 can handle HDR+AA, I know 8800s are supposed to. Even if that 86 can, I doubt it has enough grunt behind it to handle it.

7. Solaris17

Thanks Received:

and thats fine w/e i just want to turn it on so i can gert some mad amazing screen shots...im not worried about how playable it is. so any ideas?

8. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    I'd say if the 8 series supports HDR+AA like its supposed to, you can enable it with the oblivion config menu thing before you actually launch the game.

9. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    I just turend on full 16x AA in the control panel and booted oblivion it looks really pretty but its also really not playable but at least it looks nice.

10. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    THATS NICE.. but CaPs ArE AnNoYiNg!