1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Occasionally no audio from HDMI

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kantastic, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Edit: The issue has been fixed. The cause seems to be the Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard.
    -I've tried different HDMI cables, both generic and expensive.
    -I've tried different HDMI ports.
    -I've tried an add-on GPU using the Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard.
    -I've tried disabling all other audio output sources aside from HDMI.
    -I've tried playing with audio settings on the TV.

None of the above worked. I had to swap the motherboard out for the original Biostar one that was in there, but had no HDMI, and add an external GPU (HD 3450 256MB in my case) for it to work flawlessly. The irony is, had I bothered to dig out the HD 3450 when we first bought the TV to allow for HDMI output on the Biostar motherboard, I would not have had to replace it with the Gigabyte motherboard to begin with.

Our parents bought one of the Dynex 55" TVs that were on sale during Black Friday. While they have no complains about the quality, they do have an issue with an occasionally soundless boot.

It seems that whenever the computer is turned on before the TV, the computer will not output any audio. Windows sound settings shows that there is sound but through S/PDIF rather than HDMI. A reboot solves the issue, but it does get annoying. I've tried both a $30 Belkin HDMI cable from Best Buy that my neighbor lent me, and a $3 Rosewill HDMI cable from Newegg. Both have the same issue.

Is this because of the crappy TV? Or is it a Windows 7 or BIOS setting?

The HTPC specs, off the top of my head:
    Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
    Athlon II X2 245
    4GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1000MHz

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Definitely a handshaking problem between the TV and the PC. Easiest way to determine if it is the PC or the TV that is the problem is to connect another HDMI device like a Blu-ray player to the TV instead of the PC using the same HDMI cable and input to see if the problem still occurs between those two devices or not. Even so, doubt there is much you can do to fix the problem unless there is a firmware update available that fixes the problem for the device at fault.

Kantastic says thanks.
  3. 2wicked

2wicked

Thanks Received:
    Try setting hdmi as the default sound device in windows it may help and in the playback devices you can switch from spdif to hdmi without rebooting.

If the tv is not on the pc will not detect a hdmi device so it sets the audio to the next default audio source it's the way windows handles not knowing the audio\video output source.

Kantastic and Solaris17 say thanks.
  4. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    I have this issue sometimes as well. Maybe try a different driver version? I can usually fix it as well by unlugging and plugging back in the hdmi cable.

Kantastic says thanks.
  5. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Will definitely look into that first thing tomorrow. Actually, I just checked, the device itself is enabled, but Windows just won't detect it as plugged in.

I tried two that and also tried two different HDMI ports, nada. :ohwell:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  6. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    I have a similar problem when using PCM.
    Try switching your Dynex TV's sound from PCM to Raw or Raw to PCM.

sound.png

Kantastic says thanks.
  7. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    All you have to do is Disable the other audios. (sound options) Simply setting HDMI as default is not enough. Disabling the onboard audio will default the audio as always HDMI

Of course if you use onboard sometimes then you will be switching this in sound options as needed. (no need to reboot) The computer cant simply read your mind. Its going to switch the audio to what is avilible. If the comp is on before the TV then of course its going to pick the onboard sound. Unless its disabled

I solved this problem by building a HTPC separate from my gaming rig

Kantastic says thanks.
  8. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I just tried this and it didn't work. It was set to PCM by default and changing it to RAW didn't change anything. While we're at it, would you happen to experience an issue with the "HDMI 1 1080P" notification constantly popping up at the upper right hand corner of the screen? And also, are you able to view the full 55 inches via HDMI? My TV is displaying black bars on all 4 corners, similar to the bars that appear when the screen's aspect ratio is different than that native to the video file. What is unusual is that I've set Windows to run 1920x1080, which is also the TV's native resolution.

The HTPC connected to this TV is not used for any other purpose. I did try disabling all audio sources other than HDMI, but that didn't bring back the audio. It's currently installing SP1, so I won't go any further with testing until I get back from class tomorrow.

For some odd reason, Windows 7 has prevented me from being able to set any default audio devices. Upon right clicking, the option is grayed out.

9. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Update your BIOS

Kantastic says thanks.
  10. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Pisses me off when it does this. Go in catalyst options/desktops & displays/configure/scaling options. Move the slider to 0%, and you should be done! Odd thins is I only have this with ATI cards, now I may be wrong but its the conclusion I made, never had that issue with NV cards as of yet.

Kantastic says thanks.
  11. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    That is odd, though it definitely sounds like a Windows issue. Mainly, it is just picking a sound output at boot, because the TV isn't on it doesn't detect anything plugged into that port, so it uses the SPD/IF. Odd that it doesn't let you change it though, or disable SPD/IF and force the HDMI to be used...

I've only seen this on AMD cards as well, it seems like an issue with their drivers that they've just never bothered to fix. It seems like such a simple fix too, just default the slider to 0%.

Kantastic says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  12. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I updated the BIOS not too long ago, and there has only been one revision since. Gigabyte doesn't say whether or not it addresses this issue in the new BIOS, so it's something I would prefer avoiding until I can rule out other factors.

Thanks! I felt cheated that I was only getting 50 inches, but I attributed that to the nature of off-brand (or Best Buy's house brand really) TVs.

Disabling everything else only leads to no audio output. The audio icon in the bottom right hand corner has an X over it, and when I have Windows auto-troubleshoot, it says that audio is disabled.

13. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    You mentioned no graphics card in your post so your using onboard graphics right? Call Gigabyte support, first thing they will tell you is do you have the latest BIOS. And use the latest drivers from Gigabyte. You may have a bad board. And the other issue is a scaling problem. Easy fix if you have the right graphics drivers.

List all your hardware please

14. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Nope, full screen and no bars, unless the signal was not HD.
    When the PC was hooked up... it was good to go full screen, after I set it up for 1080P and adjusted the scaling in CCC (like assaulter_99 & newtekie1 stated). Had little picture in middle with black around it (top, bottom and sides), until I worked out the scaling.
    Only pop-up was when I turned on the TV and it says HDMI X 1080p (X is the HDMI port used)... well, it actually doesn't say anything, it just displays it on the screen.
    Actually, it does not do anything anymore, as I gave it to the sister-in-law, because her old TV died.

Try using the zoom button on the remote to try the different settings (auto, normal, cinema, etc.).

If, you have another hdmi cable, try it.
    Also, try a different hdmi port on the tv.

Like, some others mentioned, I would try some other hdmi devices and see how they work with the TV, too.
    :)

15. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    Its a dynex they just suck. Trust me i know.

16. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    The scaling issue has been fixed. I would rather not deal with Gigabyte support over a board that has long been discontinued. They'll be no more knowledgeable than the folks here at TPU. I'm going to try a different motherboard very shortly. If that fails, I'll reconsider calling Gigabyte.

Tried both a different cable and a different HDMI port, no luck.

I wouldn't be surprised. The good thing is that we have until Jan 31 to return this thing, so if a comparable deal pops up between now and then, this goes right back to the store.

It seems he only solution right now for the audio is to turn the TV on before the PC, but sometimes we forget and then it gets annoying. Another solution would be to buy a male-male audio cable and run the sound off stereo versus HDMI.