1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OctaProblems!!! HD4870x2/HD5870's

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Xazax, May 19, 2010.

1. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    OK so here is the Low-down, My friend bought another HD4870x2 to complement his other HD4870x2, so Day 1 of owning it, what does he do? he BIO flashes Both cards, to ASUS TOP HD4870x2 BIOs, he reported them booting up to windows 3 times but now they fail to boot at all and arent working at all.

Second issue, i purchased 2x HD5870's Well i had my friend test them(same one with the HD4870X2) and he says they arent working either, and he tested them in two different computers...

Now is he just being a total retard and missing something? or are the cards just suffering from bad BIOs?

update:HD5870's

Update

Tried using a solder on one of the cards, but could not get it to even stick, even tried super glue just for the fuck of it and that didn't stick, dont know what to do now.

As for the HD4870x2's BIOs flashed them and there working fine!

Pics posted of where the chokes\coils\filters are missing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, that's some really crappy luck. How computer savvy is your friend? I find it highly unlikely that you received 2 dead 5870's, but stranger things have happened. HOWEVER, if those cards are all dead in his possession, I'd start to question if his PSU was killing them.

95Viper says thanks.
  3. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Sounds sorta like, I wouldn't let him touch my stuff...

Hard to tell much from your description, but could be almost anything. Guess in the dark would be user error or psu(s) are not up to the job.
    Just a guess and my opinion from your post.:)

EDIT: You beat me to the draw on the PSU.:)

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  4. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    in the case of the 4870X2's definite retardation.

The 5870's are probably b0rked unless he is lying about trying them in two different computers. How they got that way is a different story... this guy seems to be the only common denominator here...

5. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    2 blown 5870s in one shipment? Those odds have got to be pretty slim. Why haven't you tried them in your rig?

6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    HD 4870x2s booted 3 times, then stopped? They killed his power supply, and the power supply probably killed the cards in return. After all, the HD4870x2 is probably one of the few cards that uses more power than a GTX480.

Then his power supply probably killed your cards as well...

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    Yeah thats the little i got from him though, so even i dont know much of the problem he isnt around right now, but ill be going through problems with him when he does, I dont really get how the HD5870's are working because the guy i bought them from said he pulled them straight out of his computer and shipped them so i believe they work fine he is just messing something up, as for his HD4870x2's im pretty sure he bricked the BIOs on those cards so how to fix that?

8. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Blindflash if you're lucky... definitely RMA the one he just bought :/ not thats its super ethical, but that is a wad of dough to blow on a failed flash.

9. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    The round silver things with blue lettering, labeled, like C1012, is a capacitor.

The devices you are missing are chokes\coils\filters, I believe.

Some poor solder joints ,if I do say so.
    :)

Edit: I believe, I may be incorrect, being they have a Qxxxx label on the PCB and a 1A F label on the device; so, they should be... Philips BC846A SOT-323 SMD general purpose type transistors.

Still, piss poor wave soldering.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
    erocker says thanks.
  10. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    ohmygod

11. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    if parts broke off in shipping then they should be somewhere in the packaging for the 5870's, and yeah sounds like the 4870 x2 x2 broke the psu

EDit: what 5870's did you get? because all 5870's that i have seen have big cooler's that cover up the whole card which i would think make those 3 missing parts impossible to break off

12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would really stop giving these cards to your friend. Unless you are buying these cards from the same person, I'd stop dealing with them. That looks like card abuse, especially given that it's happened to four cards now?

13. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    haha yeah, nah its not his fault with the HD5870's the way the guy i bought them from packed them in a way that caused the cards to rub on each other damaging them

14. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    They are quite easy to fix if you are using new ones. :)

95Viper says thanks.
  15. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    So how to fix them? just find those transistors and solder them?

95Viper says thanks.
  16. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    If the copper pads are ok , it would be an easy fix. Just solder 'em back on, then test it. If you lost any, check an old card (perferably non-working) and salvage some off it.

If the pads are ripped off, then, probably, still fixable, just a tad more difficult, but possible.

Or, send back to the person, who does not know how to pack and get you payment back.

Edit: I have to learn to type faster...

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  17. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    i say your friend screwed them up, if you had them sent to your friend how do you know how thye were packed. Also the 5870's can be easily fixed if you own a sodlering iron, if not send them to me ill fixem and testem maybe they will still be "broken" but who knows :D j/k but as long as the litle resistors are still with the cards you can heat the original solder up and set them back into place, otherwise your screwed out of $$ on the 5870's no manufacturer will take them back like that.

18. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe as newtekie said, his 4870X2's got burnt due to his PSU and then your 5870 cards got burnt. Out of guilt he broke of the the capacitors to make it look as if it was already broken.

19. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    WAIT! The guy that shipped them put both card's in the same package?:banghead::shadedshu:nutkick:

20. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, i didnt see this. Are you serious??? You should send the cards back to him. Maybe put in a small bomb in the package while returning it.

[​IMG]

21. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    I believe the card back face plate rubbed against each other since they were facing exact opposite of each other and rubbed off the filter/choke, a solder job may be able to fix it but im worried about it not working at all.

This is how the cards were stacked on top of each other
    [​IMG]

This is how they were packed
    [​IMG]

22. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    very bad packaging. I would have had only one card in the box and shipped them separately. even if it cost me a little in shipping. (if i was the seller)

you should be able to solder those back on though

More than 25k PPD
  23. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    So anyone wanna tell me how to solder these back on?

24. L'Eliminateur

L'Eliminateur

Thanks Received:
    first of all, those "3 legged black thingies" are transistors, it seems you whacked 2 of them.
    i don't see any capacitor or coil missing in your pics(the "missing" ones near the block are probably like that by design).

in the event that powering up the card without those transistors(which i have no idea what purpose they have but i'm pretty sure it's about power delivery) haven't blown off the card, the only was to solder them is with a pretty high power solder iron(no least than 40W) with a very thin tip.
    If you're not savvy with a solder iron and SMD components with no-lead solder(which has a much higher melting point than standard tin-lead solder) then i suggest you don't even try it.
    The other option is a solder station or a electronics repair shop/similar that could resolder those comps...

25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Man I feel for ya. What an epic circle jerk.