1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OCZ Apex SSDs in RAID0?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by gumpty, Mar 10, 2009.

1. gumpty

gumpty

Thanks Received:
    Just a bit of info needed.

I just recently got me a 60Gb OCZ Apex SSD and installed Vista on it, and most of the rest of my programs on a WD 300Gb VelociCraptor.

Sadly the raptor bricked soon after and was RMA'd. Now eBuyer no longer stock the raptor so I will be getting a refund and was thinking of spending the dosh on a second SSD in a RAID0 setup.

My question though ... given that the Apex series of SSDs have a raid controller in-built (to speed them up some), will that conflict with a RAID setup of two SSDs?

Hmmm ... advice please.

Also if you want to shout any other suggestions for spending the money, please do. Hookers no. Beer yes. :toast:

2. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    After reading more about the Apex ;), you can raid them on top of the internal raid without any issues.

Edit: more information I found out is that the internal stripe size is 128kb. So if you gonna raid another one, make sure you set the stripe size to 256kb for best performance.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
    gumpty says thanks.
  3. gumpty

gumpty

Thanks Received:
    Cheers for that. I figured as much.

Still not entirely sold on the whole thing yet myself. Might spend it elsewhere.

I need anew pair of shoes for a start.