1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OCZ CoreXstream 500What?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Techtu, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Just to see what experience any of you have had in trying to get a PSU manufacturer to replace the parts a new PSU has blown?

I recently brought the above and it didn't go so well on installing...
    [​IMG]

Nice huh... Well it taken out the motherboard and OCZ want to be complete arses about it, they've been very clear that they want me to deal with Ebuyer and not with them which would usually be fine but I want to know if I could succeed in dealing with them and possibly coming out with something more than just a replacement PSU, I'm not after a new system from them or anything of the sort, I just thought they'd be a bit more friendly about it all and possibly even offer some kind of token of goodwill and all that crap.

2. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

OMG that is crap *Maybe go to the citizens advice bureau and or a [legal firm (half an hour free consaltation)] with date stamped pic'c and get advice. Assuming you do not have the computer listed on a household content insurance policy.

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  3. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Despite having an OCZ PSU for my server, I can gladly say I'd never buy anything from OCZ since they stopped making RAM. Everything they make seems to die at some point shortly after purchase.

4. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    Why cant you return the motherboard? Is it older than 3 years? I doubt any company would replace other components. They would have to be sure that you plugged everything in correctly, or that the motherboard wasn't faulty to begin with.

If the PSU is faulty you should return it so they can test on another motherboard, If it blows up the test motherboard you might have a case. You could also test the rails with a multimeter, if its running out of spec you might have a case.

If you cant actually prove that the PSU blew up your motherboard, I doubt anything will come of it.

You gotta put yourself in the company's shoes as well. Just because some guy says your product caused damage doesn't mean its true. Not saying you have malicious intentions but there are people out there that do and try to scam companies all the time.

5. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    If the place of purchase is suppose to handle it, how are OCZ being arses? Because they don't give you free shit you're not supposed to get anyway?

6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i can already tell you whats happened there, as i've seen/done it before.

something you connected in crossed the rails - for example. a fan had a 3 pin AND a 4 pin connector, and you hooked up both.

that looks like a 12V wire thats melted, so i'd have to guess something shorted out in the case and over-drew power til the wires melted.

Techtu says thanks.
  7. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    The level of their customer care is what I'm getting at more than anything.

The board is well over 3 years old now, I agree I can't expect companies to give away just because someone said so...

I was just mad this morning with their responses to me.
    For a moment there I thought you might be correct, which scared the crap out of me :laugh: but opening up the chassis from it's last state I was able to see all the fan connectors bar the CPU 4pin are all Molex connections and cannot see any other odd sort of wiring. It was a simple exchange of the PSU so no other connectors got touched upon replacing.

8. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Unless you bought the motherboard from ebuyer they wont replace it, Infact at this stage they probably wont even give you any kind of compensation apart from dealing with the RMA of the faulty PSU.

If you really want to push for compensation though. you're gonna need to send that PSU and the board to an independent electronics expert who would be willing to investigate the PSU for you and give you a full report of his findings. You can submit that to ebuyer but even then they might not compensate you.

Obviously work out the terms first - let them know that you are happy to hire a qualified electrician to have a look at the PSU first. ebuyer and OCZ might not like the fact that you are gonna need to open the PSU and void the warranty but just make sure you have the conversation or any documentation recorded so that if you do take steps to get it checked out and they turn around and say you voided warranty by opening it up you've got a case that can be taken to court. Ebuyer would most likely reach an out of court settlement as it will be too much hassle for them to get someone to represent them, brief them on the issue and have them attend court.

Unfortunately thats the way things are. If you complain enough without taking it too far they might just give you a voucher that gives you £20-40 off your next order. Who knows anyway,

9. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    If it was me, and the PSU was proven faulty and blew my board, I would want a replacement, whether my board was out of warranty or not.

10. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree, a similar thing happened to me about 4 years ago, I bought a new Antec PSU, installed it and all was fine for about a week, one day I switched the power on from the mains socket and ..... Bang!, PSU was a black smoking mess and the motherboard went with it, I went direct to Antec and demanded a new PSU AND financial compensation for the motherboard (it was a good Gigabyte x38 DQ6 whatever I think). They refused point blankly to replace the board, in the end, after receiving a new PSU I got tired of trying and took the easy option..... claimed for the motherboard off my household contents insurance, it took about 4 weeks but the cheque came in the post!

11. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Dang that is a bummer man. I have been running a cheap OCZ refurn PSU in my system going on 3 years now with no issues yet.

12. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    After hearing you talk about insurance, Im thinking about getting my system insured too...

13. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I think it's bullsh*t that a PSU can blow and take your board out and the PSU manufacturer don't seem to think they are liable for the cost of the board, they bloody well should be.

Also I would not be buying no Antec PSU no more.

14. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Is it really worth risking your HOI going up to claim a motherboard against it? Yeah maybe if it was like a $300 motherboard but I hope to god that if you pay that much for a mobo that you aren't planning on running it with a $40 psu.

15. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Nah, its just for my PC - parents already pay home insurance but a lot of stuff isnt covered and my dad doesnt want to get involved with my tech stuff.

I can insure my system for $1850 for about $10 a month. Obviously I dont need to but my rigs worth a lot more then $1800 altogether and god forbid my PSU blows and takes out my GPUs or CPU, I'll be left forking out the bill or dealing with lengthy RMA's which can be a hassle. for $10 per month Im cool with that.

Ive had GPUs die on me in the past because of bad power supply - luckily both parts were still under warranty and apart from that, everything else was still working ok as far as i could tell when i ran with parts from a back up build

16. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It was just general House Contents insurance, not specific to any particular item, apart from the fact you have to declare items of £1000 or higher value.

17. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    I doubt my dad would tell them i had a £1800 computer. If something happends to my PC, hes not going to care - its my business and something I have to deal with myself