1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OCZ Launches RevoDrive X2 Second Generation Bootable PCI-Express SSD

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Oct 28, 2010.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    OCZ Technology Group, Inc., a leading provider of high-performance solid-state drives (SSDs) and memory modules for computing devices and systems, announces the launch of The RevoDrive X2 PCI-Express SSD, a follow-up to the successful launch of the first RevoDrive, with increased performance and capacity to serve high-performance computing consumers. The RevoDrive X2 upgrades the original architecture to deliver unprecedented speed up to 740 MB/s and up to 120,000 IOPS, nearly triple the throughput of other high-end SATA-based solutions with a substantial reduction in the total cost of ownership (TCO) to the consumer. The product is available now through OCZ's global channel.

"The original OCZ RevoDrive SSD was designed to be the first high-performance, bootable PCIe SSD solution and has become a popular choice for demanding computing applications that require faster, more reliable storage," said Ryan Petersen, CEO of OCZ Technology. "Building on the success of the original design, we are excited to introduce the RevoDrive X2, which delivers both increased performance and capacity, making the RevoDrive X2 a viable option for a wide spectrum of applications that include professional graphic design, multimedia rendering, and workstations. With our recently announced new state-of-the-art SSD manufacturing facility in Taiwan, OCZ will continue to be at the forefront of developing and deploying game-changing solid state storage solutions."

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The RevoDrive family gets its edge by eliminating the SATA II (3Gbps) bottleneck and leveraging a PCIe x4 interface to exploit the full potential of current flash technology. Like the original RevoDrive, the X2 uses an onboard RAID 0 design, but it also employs four SandForce-1200 controllers versus two in the original to maximize data access and bandwidth. In addition to promoting a faster, more responsive PC experience, the RevoDrive X2 is bootable, unlike competing PCIe solutions, to ensure quicker start-ups and load times compared to mechanical hard drives, a major plus for workstation PCs.

The RevoDrive X2 thrives in a wide range of computing environments including demanding database and server applications as well as multi-media creation and management. Available in 100GB to 960GB capacities, the OCZ RevoDrive X2 provides ample room for data warehousing, applications, multimedia files, and operating systems. Additionally, the X2 provides the superior durability, energy efficiency, and reliability of SSDs.

For more information, visit the product page.

2. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    Thats fast.

3. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So this won't require any additional power or sata connectors right? Just plug in and go?

Oh, does this support trim, since it has on onboard raid 0?

4. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmmm how this drive become bootable? i never seen in the bios

5. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I like it, but i would like to see some type of heatsink on the card. Anybody else agree?

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. f22a4bandit

f22a4bandit

Thanks Received:
    No sata connections as it uses a pci-e x4 slot, and no additional power outside of the power from the mobo. Don't know about trim support, but it'd be a safe bet to assume it does although the product page specifications don't mention it. And yes, easy plug and play solution.

I'm glad they finally came out with a RevoDrive solution that isn't just over 256GB of space. Yes, there is one 50 gig and one 80 gig that I know of, but they aren't common like the 512GB. I hope this product releases with a better MSRP than the original RevoDrive.

7. stupido

Thanks Received:
    How much it will cost ?

8. dchrsf

dchrsf New Member

Thanks Received:
    $464.04 160GB
    $591.33 240GB
    $1,112.99 360GB
    $1,424.99 480GB

Ouch!

TheLostSwede says thanks.
  9. Nothgrin New Member

Thanks Received:
    When you consider current prices and conventional SSD speeds these come pretty cheap for the performance.

10. dchrsf

dchrsf New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, i mean if i had a stack laying around id jump for the 360gb, but I don't ;P ..I'm actually saving up money to replace the suspension on my Kia, but hey that's what college is for..

11. stupido

Thanks Received:
    thanks!

12. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Just like a normal PCI-E based RAID card, the BIOS detects it and allows you to select it as a boot drive. In fact IIRC these use just a standard RAID chipset found on a normal PCI-E RAID card. It just combines the SSDs on the same package. So it is a stadard RAID controller(I believe from Silcon Image, but don't quote me on that), and 4 standard sandforce SSDs all put together in one nice neat package.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  13. function69 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Still no TRIM?

14. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    when i see something like this i immediately think of SCSI and how it was superior to IDE but never made commercial success because of its price. everyone then argued that SCSI would eventually come down in price as more people demanded the faster drives but by the time that happened we got SATA. i think what we have here is another expensive solution to speed problems. some new technology is probably being tested right now that won't be as fast but will cost way less.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Being tested? It already exists.

4x G.SKILL Phoenix Series FM-25S2S-120GBP1 2.5" 120GB...

+

HighPoint RocketRAID 2310 PCI Express x4 (x8 and x...

=

480GB that is virtually just as fast for $1000, or $400 less than the OCZ RevoDrive. It just isn't as pretty and in one nice package.

yogurt_21 says thanks.
  16. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:

With the Sandforce 1200 chip you don't really need trim support.

EDIT: So, nobody would like to see a heatsink on the card?

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    oh i know that it exists. i am commenting on not only the packaging but on the actual raid and ssd technology. while it appears SSD is here to stay, RAID is still too expensive for most consumers to justify. i am thinking as more and more SSDs are produced we will see some other new technology that greatly enhances how they operate with the system they are in.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Nothgrin New Member

Thanks Received:
    When it's idle it pulls 3 watts of power. 8 watts when it's active. How much heat could it possibly generate?

19. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    True.. but i don't have a window on the side of my case for nothing.. hehehe

Edit: Actually I have the whole side off of my rig.. lol but really for the price could they not put one on it?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    I don't think a heatsink is needed, but a nice looking shroud would be nice to hide the internals.

Mindweaver says thanks.
  21. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    Nice i like it. Didn't OWC make one with a shroud? i think Btarunr showed us that the other week.. right? Maybe when other companies jump in they will start promoting this feature to get sales. :confused:

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Ah, yeah, I see what you are saying.:toast:

These are really designed for servers and workstations, so machines that won't have the insides visable.

Though I would probably prefer it without a shroud, to show of the card in all its glory.

23. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    and i guess the 960Gb reach 10,000$

yeah shit on them, no trim=fail

24. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Can you even do TRIM through a RAID0 controller? I always thought that because the OS detects the RAID Array and not the individual SSDs that TRIM wouldn't work in a configuration like this.

25. timta2

Thanks Received:
    I would like to just point out that I'm sure those prices are taken from the "Buy It Now" sidebar on the OCZ Product Page, and are probably not OCZ's MSRPs. I wonder if we will see lower prices as these cards make their way to other retailers that might have better pricing? (Newegg, etc).