1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W Power Supply $30

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by joytime360, Jul 14, 2010.

1. joytime360

joytime360 New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. j.col70

j.col70 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it has the 80 plus certified in the name, so it is very good.
    the above is the quality standard for psu's and if its in the name, it has been tested very hard.
    cheap psu's will not have this in the name
    also has good reviews on newegg.
    buy it, its a bargain
  3. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Bullshit :banghead: :wtf: :shadedshu
    This is a mediocre PSU. It's not as bad as HEC or Raidmax, but it is not an enthusiast-grade PSU like Corsair, SeaSonic, Enermax, or Antec
    Soylent Joe says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Ooh ooh, I get it. This is one of those "which one doesn't belong" games, right?

IMHO and my experience with an OCZ PSU, they're about equal to, well, the one that doesn't belong. The reviews are saying that as well.
  5. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    :confused:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    It's not an enthusiast PSU by any means but it's not 'mediocre' either. I've got an OCZ stealthxtreme 600w psu which is coming on 3 years old and it's still able to power my setup. For $30 it's an absolute bargain!

If you're going for crossfire or sli get a better psu tho.
  7. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    The StealthX is a better PSU. It's at least an OK FSP Epsion-based unit, but the ModX is a Sirtec built unit that can't handle it's rated wattage at reasonable temperatures :rolleyes:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I know the StealthX's are nice, as I have a few myself, quite, cool, and really stable power, very close to exact specifications, most are going on 2-3 years old without a flinch in an area with questionable power.

The ModX are a chance game, I have had a few that are not so good, and a few that are pretty decent. Not junk by all means, but not top tier, you can tell when you pull them apart.
    The most annoying part about the ModX is the fan size is not very standard, so replacing it can be a chore.
    [Ion] says thanks.
  9. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Even HEC has a premium line that is decent. I have tested an HEC raptor and it did great. It handled load around what it was rated for. Regular HEC PSUs do not do so well, but that is even apparent on the side of those PSUs on the label. Max power should not be allowed to be what its advertised as. PSUs should be rated by what they can do 24/7 without ripple/fluctuation.
  10. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    AMEN! And IMO tested in a room / enclosure with a slightly elevated temperature to simulate the average computer case holding heat and creating some extra itself.

Instead they plug it in on a bench in an air conditioned room and check voltages and send em out the door.

But you are right, a lot of known cheap names don't make bad units.. FSP for instance, I used to use a lot of those in standard everyday home systems, very low failure rates honestly, now I'm using seasonics which are a bit lower in failures and do have cleaner power output but again, our video cards and mainboards have voltage regulators and capacitors for a reason. So it's much more of a "is the high end extra security worth it to you in your build".
  11. runnin17

runnin17 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have this unit in my server and it has been running rock solid stable for 6 months, 24/7. Granted I am not running crossfire or SLI in my server, but I do have 4x 2TB drives, 8x 1TB drives and 4x 320GB drives, a quad core, raid card, etc.

It is not a top of the line PSU, but I paid $25 for it and it is more than enough power for my server. For $30 it is a very good backup PSU.
  12. ZenEffect New Member

Thanks Received:
    enthusiast-grade and 600w are contradictory terms...
  13. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    No. Not really. Enthusaist doesn't automaticly mean 1kW+ PSU's and quad fermi or whatever.

Good deal imo. No, they are not a Corsair, but $30 is a sweet suculent price.
  14. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I had the 500w version in a rig and it held up fine. For the price its unbeatable.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    No. I have a 650w PSU that I'm very happy with. I have no need for anything that puts out over 650w. Even 450w would probably be fine ATM
    Crunching for Team TPU