1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OCZ Power supply - help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by footix, Sep 2, 2009.

1. footix New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a computer :

CPU - Core i7 920
    Motherboard - Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
    RAM - OCZ 6gb (2x3) 1600 mhz
    VGA - EVGA Geforce GTX 260 core 216
    HDD - Sata II 320 gb and Sata I 80 GB
    DVD-RW
    Monitor - LG 22"

I need normal/good power supply, so i want to now which of this two is better (for my system) and if there is a big difference.

OCZ GameXStream 700W or OCZ StealthXStream 700W

please help me.

thk in advance.
  2. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think the stealthxstream is simply meant to be quieter when running ,i have the stealth 600w and it powers my main system with no problems at all.
    i wouldnt think is much diff between the 2 tbh.
  3. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same PSU, one with LEDs on the fan and one without.

Edit: Get whatever one is cheaper.
  4. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    I would rather grab the ModXStream for less cabling mess.
  5. mav2000

mav2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am using the modxtreme 700 for a while now and am quite happy with it. I can run 2X4890 no problem with my rig..and its extremely quiet...its mounted at the bottom with the fan sucking air in thru the grills at the bottom..
    Gabkicks says thanks.
  6. sttubs

sttubs

Thanks Received:
  7. Crusader

Crusader New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd suggest going with a newer Corsair model, HX/TX-750/850 etc. Considering I just replaced my Stealth 600W due to it failing to start up instantly after it's been off for an extended period of time.
  8. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    GameXstream and StealthXstream are not the same, the GameXstream is a better series and is effectively a tier 2 PSU (very good)... they are actually FSP units (Fortron Source).... the Stealth is more the budget line, albeit it still fairly good. I would recommend the GameXstream, there are better units out there but it's certainly mid to high end and pretty good value.

TRT has a 600W GameXstream and has been running highly overclocked i7's off it with GTX285's and 4870x2's without issue.

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/cases/OCZ_GameXStream_700W_8.html
  9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ^

gameXstream has a noisy LED fan which is prone to failure, the stealthX doesnt.

ModXstream (the older ones at least) were inferior designs with very noisy 80mm fans.
  10. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    I own two 600w Stealth's and a 600w Modx and they all work without issue; the oldest (a Steal unit) being almost 2½ years old and has been used almost 24/7 for that period.

The Modx is a newer unit with a 135mm fan (it looks like a 140) that is nothing but quiet..its busy powering her rig at the moment and it has never failed to start or has given me any other issues for that matter.

I do believe that the Stealth line are based on FSP Epsilon PSU's....while not the best they certainly aren't that bad and will do the job fairly well so long as you don't get a 600w unit and expect to run close to the 600w at load without ripple or other issues; mainly death of your PSU. :laugh:

Bottom line: Would I buy another OCZ unit? No. Do they do the job and are cheap? Yes.

If you want quality, it comes at a price...I think the OP is a bit strapped for cash and a 700w+ higher quality PSU (Corsair?) may well be out of his reach.

If this is the case, either of those PSU's will do the job he wants and work fine for his rig, even if they aren't the best. :toast:
    Mussels says thanks.