1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OCZ Shows off New 2.5-inch Summit Solid-State Drives

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Feb 16, 2009.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Our friends at PC Perspective talk about a new series of OCZ solid-state drives that is supposed to hit retail shelves sooner or later. Summit series, as they'll be called, are housed in a 2.5-inch shell and feature a brand new controller from Samsung. The MLC flash memory drives use standard SATA 3.0Gbps interface to transfer data. Another characteristic that's worth noting is that the Summit series SSDs feature 64MB of cache, that helps the drives to achieve read/write speeds of up to 208MB/s and 172MB/s respectively. The OCZ Summit will be available in 250GB, 120GB and 60GB models. A full in-depth preview based on an engineering sample Summit drive is accessible here.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Source: PC Perspective
  2. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if a person would achieve greater performance with or without Vista/2008's "advanced cache" feature when using this drive.

Which also means, does advanced caching allow any SSD to achieve this level of performance?

I know from playing around with mech drives that advanced caching does help, and helps a great deal when using lower-end RAID-5 controllers (ICH mainly).
  3. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    The inbuilt cache is great... not sure why it has taken so long to catch on. So cheap to implement, and so important for managing and optimising block-write-cycles.

It also means that it isnt so important to own one of those expensive caching controllers that you really DO need if you use a SSD seriously. (Or indeed any RAID array).

Not sure if the combination of caching controller and cached SSD becomes an overhead or is still an improvement.

TPU review of caching controllers and latest SSD's would be nice. How about an Easter special?
  4. Lu(ky New Member

Thanks Received:
    This SSD sounds like the VERTEX SSD from OCZ or maybe not? They will have 30GB, 60GB (32MB Cache) and 120GB, 250GB (64MB Cache)
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  5. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if these will self destruct like the other ones.
  6. WC Annihilus New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Vertex drives use the Indilinx Barefoot controller while these apparently use a Samsung controller. Aside from that, dunno what the difference is
  7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    gaaaah another one.

Yeah, i want to buy an OCZ SSD. No, i DONT want to wade through a list of 20 of them to choose one.