1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OCZ SSD died

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by AsRock, Jul 11, 2014.

1. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well my OCZ SSD died a few days ago just before the 3 year warranty although Toshiba are not going back what they sold so if you have a SSD sold by OCZ before the take over you may want to get rid of it lol.

Here's what they had to say

Unfortunately we are not able to offer you warranty services for this item. Your product has been manufactured and sold by OCZ Technology Group, which filed for bankruptcy in December 2013. Through bankruptcy proceedings, Toshiba Corporation has acquired substantially all the assets from OCZ Technology Group but most liabilities, including outstanding warranties, have been excluded from that acquisition. The new company - OCZ Storage Solutions - is a Toshiba Group Company and is not the same organization as OCZ Technology Group. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

http://ocz.com/consumer/support/warranty

Regards,

OCZ Technical Support

Sorry the company can go to hell i don't care about the excuse.
    XSI, Easy Rhino and Scrizz say thanks.
  2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Thats pretty shitty. but i can understand the reason behind it. They literally dont want to have to deal with 'old' OCZ released stuff because They have their own SSDs and they need to keep their shit free of OCZ garbage. In a sense its pretty much like taking out the trash. Making sure the newer OCZ inventory is made up of Toshiba tech or Toshiba acquired tech and not some junk made by another company.

Not to mention that OCZ SSDs leading up to OCZ's bankruptcy were real bad and had a high failure rate. People were raging about shoddy reliability in OCZ forums and people with faulty SSDs were pretty much being ignored by the OCZ staff there.

Keeping their inventory clear of pre-OCZ buyout SSDs means they have less to deal with when it comes to RMAs so its more of a Quality Assurance thing.

I was hoping OCZ would honor warranty, but i guess thats just how the cookie crumbles. Cant really say i didnt see it coming though.
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Toshiba didn't sell you the drive. Unfortunately that is the risk with any product with a warranty. If the company goes belly up, the warranty is useless(I got royally screwed when BFG went under). Even if another company buys up their assets, they don't buy their debt or responsibilities.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    But if they take their name they should have to take the responsibility too.

Either way screw Toshiba although nearly any thing you buy like tv's dvd players you'll find a Toshiba chip in it lol.

And like a i said i don't care about their excuses.
    Easy Rhino and de.das.dude say thanks.
  5. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt call it 'royally screwed' but a little sore yes. When BFG went under PNY stepped up and were willing to RMA any BFG graphics card for 25% off one of their newer cards for a short period of time - It didnt matter if the BFG card was dead or alive. they would still give you that 25% off. Should have taken that chance to step up to a PNY card even though PNY might not be as popular as Sapphire or MSI etc etc.
    rtwjunkie says thanks.
  6. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    They didn't even take their name.

And the business world doesn't work that way. They bought some of their assets, they did not buy the entire company. Basically OCZ was selling off everything they could to try to pay off their debts and Toshiba bought some of it.

I sent them 2 GTX275s for RMA a couple days before the news broke that they were going under. Those cards "never arrived in their warehouse" despite me having proof of delivery from UPS. I also had a BFG 650w power supply, it technically still works, but I was supposed to have a lifetime warranty which obviously isn't any good anymore. So, yeah, I'd call it royally screwed.
  7. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I thought Toshiba were still honouring the warranty for higher end SSDs like the Vertex series?
  8. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
  9. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    OCZ rock!!!

Suck it up man as shit happens lol
  10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Already sucked it up as you say.. Just would of been nice of such a massive company...
  11. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    They didn't get to be a massive company by doing dumb business moves like warrantying other companies products.;)
  12. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    ocz's hasn't "rocked" in over 3 years anything ocz post 2010 was a utter pile of trash
  13. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i was a big fan of OCZ and their products, and had contact with a lot of their staff, even up to their CEO when they were smaller.

Unfortunately yes, the got screwed over with a bunch of products that had quality issues, and it screwed them over just as bad as it did customers. they didnt know their SSD's would fail so often (happened to me as well), and they didnt have the capital to recover.

it sucks, but they were a good company with good intentions, who simply went downhill and couldnt recover.

they gave me 2x1GB of DDR1, 600MHz 2-2-2-5

that shit was epic.
  14. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Hey! you say so lol...

Must be then hey!? o_O

I have 3 OCZ drives and never had a single problem, so yeah, Id say They rock ROFL :slap:

"MOP on isle 1 please" :p
    Scrizz says thanks.
  15. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    I wish I had known about that! I was in the process of doing an RMA on a GTX 285 at the time, and it just never got finished. A few days later I found out why...
  16. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    in that case fair enough, Sorry I didnt know about the entire situation regarding your RMA but i thought you meant screwed as in you have two £400 paperweights

Well, It doesnt hurt to still contact PNY and asking if they're still willing to help with the RMA if youre still interested. It wont kill you to ask
  17. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    @FreedonEclipse: Thanks for the info, but it's too late. It went into the scrap heap years ago since I figured it would be too expensive to repair with the Lifetime Warranty gone when BFG went under.
  18. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    who knows what could have happened, they could have still offered you money off a new card or free RMA since you have lifetime warranty. Given PNY's popularity, They probably would have made you some sort of offer on the RMA rather than leave you out in the cold, After all they did step forward to deal with BFG RMAs theres no reason why they cant make an exception and help you out too. It all goes to help promote their brand/company.
  19. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    So my PC Power and Cooling Warranty is probably void too.
  20. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Highly likely. I dont think anyone stepped in to acquire that part of the business
  21. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I took thi thing apart and i noticed 3 area's that had made the steel plate discolor due to heat and thinking that putting it in the laptop actually killed it.. Sure SSD's don't get hot but to discolor the steel indicates other wise..

Wish i had known that as i would of put some little heatsinks on it. The steel plate is thick too so no chance of it really taking the heat from it..
  22. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Or maybe it was OCZ shoddy build quality towards the end of the run that caused it. Bo$$ still has my old 90GB OCZ Vertex 2E and hes quite happy with it afaik
  23. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    note to self don't buy anything with ocz on it.
    guess it doesn't affect me at all. the last ocz stuff i had was some ddr2 platinum ram and was never interested in their ssd's
    but its usuall for a comany to offer a gesture of good will in these situations. even if it is you send that broken piece of junk back to us we will throw it away and sell you one of ours at a discount.
  24. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Well, OCZ SSDs are now made by Toshiba or incorporate Toshiba tech and they honestly aint too bad as far as ive heard, But yeah I agree. Even if they didnt want the old OCZs back, they could have taken them back anyway for recycling or disposal and offered money off their new SSDs but then again I guess they just didnt want anything to do with pre-buyout OCZ parts
  25. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Too right, anyone who can read should be avoiding all OCZ products like the plague, for at least the last 3 years. The only one I bought was a Vertex 4 about 2 years ago, mainly because it was the fastest locally available SSD at the time - it lasted 15 days, then was exchanged for a Crucial M4. The M4 is slower but very reliable, still going strong today. I love my Samsung 840 Pro, and soon I'll be buying an 850 Pro, with a 10 year warranty. I'm not a bit worried that Samsung will go out of business any time soon, or "sell some assets" or anything like that. It often pays off to go with the best in the long run, although in 10 years I hope SATA 6GB/s drives are as obsolete as PATA drives are now.
    manofthem says thanks.