1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OCZ Technology Readies Brand New Core V3 Solid State Drives

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Nov 5, 2008.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    During the DIY PC Expo 2008 in Japan, OCZ Technology unveiled that it will be updating its Core series of solid state drives. The third generation MLC (multi-level cell) NAND-based Core V3 models will bring higher read and write speeds that exceed 230MB/s read and 160MB/s write speeds, a lot more than the 170MB/s (read) and 98MB/s (write) offered by today's Core V2 SSDs. The new Core V3 SSDs will come in a 2.5-inch form factor, and will boast a SATA 3.0G Gbit/s interface. Most likely OCZ will release models that range from 32GB to 256GB in capacity. The rest of the details are still unknown.

[​IMG]

Source: AKIBA PC

2. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's insanely fast! I wander how much faster SSD's will get, and when high-performance SSD's like this will be affordable.

3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    SSD's will just get faster and faster... its not the memory chips that hold them back, its the interface (SATA II) and the controllers.

Just like RAM they have options (dual channel, quad channel), they can RAID internally (my old OCZ Rally flash drive did this) and keep adding more speed that way.

4. roofsniper New Member

Thanks Received:
    id like to see fiber optics replace sata someday.

5. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Awesome! 256gb SSD ftw :rockout: 4 or more of these in RAID 5 would be awesome for a DAW.

6. truehighroller1 New Member

Thanks Received:

I want three for raid 0 please.. So do we need to format these things, or right 0s to it rather? I'm guessing no but, maybe I am wrong. If so then I bet it is alot faster then a regular hard drive writing 0s.

7. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I want 3 for raid 5+1 when the price comes down to below 100 USD...

Edit: yay for 1k posts

8. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I have no idea if these would need to be formatted since I've never had an SSD, but I know flash drives don't typically need formatted . . . :confused: In any case, I would definitely expect these to format much faster.

@spearman914: Congrats, I'm almost 3/4 of the way there :D