1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OCZ to leave DRAM market.

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by aCid888*, Jan 12, 2011.

1. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:

Source.

Lets hope RMA's aren't affected for a while.
    streetfighter 2 says thanks.
  2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm ... must not be making any money in that market. Most likely too much competition.
  3. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    And nothing of value is lost. I've had more failures with OCZ products in general than any other name brand.
    DRDNA says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. cmanning27

cmanning27

Thanks Received:
    Even though I prefer Patriot and Corsair ram, this is still sad.
  5. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    OCZ may not be everyone's "cup o' tea" but i think they made decent ram, the stuff I've had from them did what it said on the tin plus it was never expensive whenever i checked.

Their psu are kinda bollocks tho.

IDK why they are leaving the market, low sales maybe? I dunno.
  6. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wasn't it 14% failure rate for their hardware??

I'm sure I saw it posted the other day in these forums.....some hardware survey or something. :confused:
  7. robal

robal

Thanks Received:
    Got OCZ DDR2 set and was never happy with it.

I've had some SPD setting mismatch issue.
    After 1 year, the radiators started to peel off from chips (!)
    Zero OC potential.

:/

Cheers,
  8. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Explains why the local PC store here doe not sell the OCZ Black Edition RAM I was panning on getting for the future upgrade.

Looks like I will be going with the masses this time round and getting G Skill or Corsair.
  9. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    probabily re-enter within another 5 years, once the competetion slows
  10. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    Well they released their yearly report and ~75% of their profits were from SSDs. If you ask me, their decision makes a lot of sense.
  11. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I am fine with their decision, since that most rams makers have their chips made by elpidia, samsung and a few others, saturating the market with essentially the same product. 1 less brand is 1 less product to consider, which translates to easier shopping :D
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  12. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Awww, dangit. I bout OCZ RAM for my new rig...
  13. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    :rolleyes:

One less company = less competition to keep the market fresh and prices low.

If you didn't like OCZ, that's fine, but they did do some awesome products over the years and it'll almost be sad to see them exit the market. :)
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  14. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    its been known for a long time most ocz memory is below par with stock performance and oc ability, with exception to the uber expensive models and the blades, which they likely loose money on the memory that is expensive with hopes of making it back on the cheaper shit. I dont blame them though it will be sad they DO have the est RMA support for memory. i sent beack 4 1gb ddr3 reaper stick from when ddr3 had just launched and they rma'd that shit! this was 6 months ago! 4yr old memory or more that died because I took the heatspreaders off and mem chips went with it, they knowing all that rma'd anyways! crucial is #2 in rma
  15. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Dram market is highly dependent on a lot of other factors other than competition, for example almost of the whole of last year we hardly see any fall in ram prices, and then they suddenly fall like a stone towards the end of the year. We don't need 9000 companies to have a healthy competition anyway (eg Intel vs AMD, Nvidia vs AMD), and there are more than enough ram manufacturers out there for me not to miss a few (If Mushkin AND Corsair stop producing ram today, we still have competition from Kingston, no-name brand, Crucial, Gskill, Patriot, AData, etc).
  16. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    this is too bad, i've always had great luck with their stuff.. got a decent set of their ulv hpc reaper ddr3 1600 at 1950 cl 8 right now.. was pretty impressed and all at only 1.6v... i've had their ssd's and everything. too bad
  17. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've used OCZ RAM in the past with the Samsung TCCD chips a few years back. I was very pleased with it. I currently run an OCZ 850W (FSP Epsilon) which is a notoriously shitty PSU but I'm not taxing it (and using it with even loading) and it was only $50.

I'm not upset with OCZ leaving the DRAM market. I think they're a good company and they have to do what they think is right.

They're all over the board on quality when it comes to PSUs. They own PC Power & Cooling, which makes some very decent units. They have (used) manufacturers including Channel Well, Sirtec, Impervio, Topower and 3Y. So if you do your homework, you can get a decent PSU from OCZ. If you don't do your homework it's a crapshoot, and the odds are stacked against you.

Memory failure rate: OCZ 6.76% (highest)
    SSD failure rate: OCZ 2.93% (highest)
    (source)

Load of drivel if you ask me. First of all it's in French, bloody cheese eating surrender monkeys, and secondly their methodology is not clear.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  18. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    What a shame, I still have some OCZ DDR-550 ram that is still going strong in a 939 rig.

Though I understand with DRAM prices falling again the want to not go through the horrible losses the DRAM industry went threw a few years ago.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  19. mudkip

mudkip

Thanks Received:
    I think they make good products. My 1600MHZ rated modules go 2100MHZ :)
  20. Zen_

Zen_

Thanks Received:
    Never really trusted OCZ...perhaps it's unnecessary to open an old can of worms but the company did start out basically as a scam. Can't remember all the details but when they started out with memory they setup fake review sites, pressured real reviewers to fudge numbers and had an abysmal customer service reputation. The expose on the old madonion forum resulted in legal threats and bans. Not exactly a sterling reputation there.
  21. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i was an early reviewer for OCZ and had no issues like that. found them to be fantastic to deal with.

OCZ are moving from DRAM (next to no profit, stagnant market) to SSD's, where there is profit and innovation to be had - and OCZ are definitely doing well in the innovation (look at their new SSD's for PCI-E)
    Ross211 says thanks.
  22. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    make sense, since the ram market is so saturated, and prices are so dirt cheap, most ram makers aren't ram makers anymore..

corsair expanded to cases and psu's
    patriot also went to ssd's and the like

wonder how g skill and buffalo are making out, only ram-only companies i think off now..
  23. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Of late Ive used
    Super Talent for cheap ram
    G.skill for cheap good ram
    Team for excellent cheap ram
    OCZ for expensive crap ram
    I'm not disappointed to see them go out of this market

And with G.skill and Adata offering fewer but better bang for the buck SSDs and prices falling as they are I don't see long term success in that market either.....

and OCZ PSUs.....No I'll pass on those too!
  24. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    well my PSU is coming back from RMA, sent a stealthxtreme 500w got a brand new revision modxtreme pro 600w and gave me overnight UPS shipping
  25. Zen_

Zen_

Thanks Received:
    This was circa 2001-2002...multiple people on madonion and xtremesystems said they were being compelled to inflate numbers. I think this is fairly common with upstart reviewers that want to please and are thus not completely objective. There's also OCZ's ongoing rebate promos on practically all of their products that have been endlessly complained about.

Dunno though, just thought it was interesting and why I've avoided them altogether through the years. Maybe it's not fair.