1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OCZ Unveils the XTC (Xtreme Thermal Convection) Memory Cooler

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Nov 17, 2006.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

OCZ Technology Group, a worldwide leader in innovative, ultra-high performance and high reliability memory, today unveiled the premier memory overclocking accessory, the OCZ XTC Cooler. As active cooling becomes increasingly important for today’s high-speed memory solutions, OCZ developed the XTC Cooler for effective heat management of OCZ’s proprietary XTC (Xtreme Thermal Convection) modules.

Once installed over the memory subsystem, the XTC Cooler’s dual 60mm fans channel a steady flow of air over and through the XTC modules creating a cooler environment for the memory ICs. For the overclocking enthusiast accustomed to awkwardly propping up case fans, the aluminum-based XTC Cooler is the ultimate air cooling solution.

“To address the requirements of extreme overclockers OCZ is releasing the new XTC cooler which is designed to pair up with the Xtreme Thermal Convection heatspreaders utilized on our entire lineup of premium memory solutions,” commented Alex Mei, OCZ Technology Group, Inc. “This cooler forces airflow through our open Xtreme Thermal Convection heatspreader design to offload even more heat from the entire module array, thus enhancing both stability and performance of the memory, especially when aggressively overclocking.”

Though optimized for use with OCZ’s XTC heatspreaders that come with all OCZ high-performance modules, the XTC Cooler is a beneficial cooling aid for all system memory. Thanks to superior active cooling, the XTC Cooler improves memory performance and longevity for ultimate reliability in desktops to high-end gaming systems. The OCZ XTC Cooler is backed by a 1 year warranty and industry-leading technical support.

For more information on the OCZ XTC Cooler, please click here.

Source: OCZ Technology

2. bornfree New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seems a little odd to me

Corsair and others have proven that lowering the memory temp below it's normal operating temp allows NO additional over-clocking of memory modules, so it seems like the new cooling devices being offered are just eye candy. I guess if you look into your PC case everyday and get warm and fuzzy from seeing LEDs and excessive heatsinks, etc. that offer no performance advantage, then the latest toys will make you real happy.

It seems rather odd to me to why anyone would be selling these devices which provide zero memory performance improvement. I don't understand why someone would spend the money on these devices when you could better use it to purchase a faster CPU, memory, etc. and actually see some performance improvement.

3. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Pricing would be nice. Often such items cost too much. Though if the price is right this would be very nice for my system.

4. Oo_Skyline_oO New Member

Thanks Received:
    AT 1200MHZ, I don't think its meant to improve performance, I think its meant for stability. RAM gets real hot, specialy if overclocked.

5. sinner33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Even if it provides no additional performance gains, I think the extra air flow will help memory last longer (even if it lasts long after yoU trash the system) and also aid more airflow to the overall surrounding motherboard. The bling factor also helps. Gives the impression that the pc means business :toast:

6. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am not sure where you are getting your facts from but it's not totally accurate. Keeping the heat from reaching it's max thermal envelope does in fact help maintain stability. I don't think the aim here is to reduce temps but to maintain them well within the normal parameters to keep the ram functioning properly. I recall reading some PDF files on the chips corsair use that explains what the thermal envelope is.
    I already keep a fan on my ram because if the heat is not dissipated properly it only builds up and causes problems if you OC. Those that do not OC their ram should have no need for this device or any fan for that matter.

The truth of the matter is that RAM (in an enclosed environment like a computer case) does need some sort of air circulation to dissipate heat that builds up either through the ram sinks or PCB/chips themselves.

Does all ram need fans? Not necessarily true it depends on the layers of PCB used and type of thermal envelope each type of ram chip is required to be under. And most importantly if you OC the ram or not (again assuming it was designed to be OC).

Will this particular unit help maintain your ram within it's thermal envelope? Hard to say test would need to be conducted to see.

Besides, in order to achieve a higher over clock of your ram it all starts with the chipset (Intel for example).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yes, and several overclockers have proven that when you pump huge amounts of voltage through RAM to get extreme overclocks, that it will heat up to the point of failure without proper cooling. This WILL allow a skilled overclocker to get higher overclocks because it will allow them to raise the voltage higher than they would without the cooler(or any active cooling).

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. Seany1212

Seany1212

Thanks Received:
    dude STFU, throughout most of your posts here (on TPU forums) all you have done is nit pick and complain at everything, if you have nothing good to coment dont coment at all, im all for freedom of speech on forums but i disagree on your complaints about everything, why dont you do a better job and then complain at these other companies, as far as im concerned if all you can do is put down a new technology (granted fans arent new technology but the idea of cooling the memory for stability is nice) and yet cannot match it yourself then stop your damn bitching :shadedshu

9. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
  10. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:

HAHA !!! burnt

Ktr I'm sure you prob noticed, but you can move the cooler side to side someone said in a when W1z posted about his visit to Ocz and theses things.

11. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    it will improve stability when overvolting cause that builds up heat which makes the ram crash and burn so why are you nitpiking bornfree

12. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Look at his other posts. He is just a troll that bitches about everything, and usually it is pretty obvious he actually doesn't know what he is talking about.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  13. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    that cooler and this stick...

[​IMG]

14. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    The guys obviously a real brainer... what did you expect them to translate it to?

15. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    piglatin:laugh:

16. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    In some cases, memory temperatures are pushed above normal temperatures. Temperature does limit memory, but so does the quality of the chip.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    can say oc-z sucks :p , sry i just did, but i'm not sry :p

are there any reviews out there of this "thing"?

18. largon

largon

Thanks Received:
    Well now, that's the most witless gadget I've seen from OCZ.

19. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whenever i'm doing any serious overclocking, i need to put a fan over the dimms to keep them cool. When you are overvolting any component, it will generate heat. Not only does excessive heat limit the maximum overclock, but it drastically reduces the life of a component. 'Suitable' cooling is essential, but components will need different cooling requirements depending on how they're used.

BornFree obviously has no experience in overclocking or he would know this.

20. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    Nice! :pimp: