1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OCZ Vendetta 2 is a beast!!!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Welshsteel, May 20, 2008.

1. Welshsteel New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, normally, i come on here and query members about PC problems so this is a bit of a strange one for me...

I just wanted to have a bit of a rave about the OCZ Vendetta 2 and see if any one else has tried it and got similar results?

I have a Q6600 GO chip at 3.8Ghz with a 1.4625 vcore in bios and 1.45 in CPUZ.....
    Core temps with the VENDETTA :rockout: at 3.8 do not go over 63 in core temp during PRIME95 stress testing :respect:

I don't know if theres any other air cooler that can beat this????

Ok maybe one question..... One that is often asked but never properly answered... What temp should you stop at with a G0 chip if you want it to last????

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  2. Gam'ster

Gam'ster New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think 63 is close to its limits, 65 is tcase max i believe im no intel expert, need someone else to confirm. on the cooler though how much was it ? i know the vendetta 1 is around £18.

Cheers
    Gam

3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually 95c is the tcase max. 63c under load with 1.45v's is pretty good!

Gam'ster says thanks.
  4. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Welsh, does the Vendetta 2 have a bolt on mounting or the damn push pins. The original Vendetta was nice, but I hated the mounting.

5. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Try not to let the cores go over 70c, just to be safe.

6. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    65 is the highest you should go under max load (To be Safe). If you run Prime 95 using the 2M or 4M, and run 4seperate instances of them at the same time so each core is at 100%. Let that sit and monitor your temps while this is going on. If you go over 65 anywhere in the test...stop it...and start lowering your clock or voltages. IMO anything over 65 for a good amount of time is going to lower the life span of the chip.

7. Gam'ster

Gam'ster New Member

Thanks Received:
    95 that high, ive not a lot of experience with intel :).
    Cooler looks good too.

Thanks
    Gam

8. Welshsteel New Member

Thanks Received:
    the mounting is the push pins... However, they are very easy to install and are the tightest fit i've seen yet.... Really good cooler, was 30 so cheaper than the thermalright 120 extreme and probs out perform it to.

I had a synthe ninga plus rev B before this and i couldn't even touch 3.6 with out hitting the 70's... Really it is proper good.

9. Welshsteel New Member

Thanks Received:
    ZenZimZaliben can i ask an of topic question.... How did you clock your MSI GTX so high??? Volt mod??

10. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Nope, no volt mod. I have thread somewhere on here. Tatty_one and I both achieved almost identical Overclocks, he actually got 5-10Mhz more then me! The Bum! :) I have a fairly big water cooling system and the lower temps allowed me to get higher with out the need for extra voltage.

Also we both have 1st Generation MSI cards, at the time they came preclocked at 730Mhz. Now I think MSI only offers them around 700Mhz. I believe my core runs at 1.2V and the new ones are running 1.1V.

Also you started this thread...so its okay to high-jack your own.

11. Welshsteel New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks... with your water cooling rig... what do your temps hit at full load at 4ghz in comparison to the OCZ?
    Reason i ask is because i primed the other day at 4ghz (444 x 9) at 1.5 in CPUZ my temps were in the high 60's and low 70's during first 15mins!

I've only had the Q6600 for a week or so so not much testing yet and back to a safer 3.8GHZ. But looks like the chip could easily be stable above 4Ghz :) ... Water cooling??

12. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    I am pushing it thats for sure. I peak just under 65 with all 4 cores at 100%...takes about 20 minutes for my loop to hit saturation. But that is with all 4 cores at 100%, most games don't even make the 3rd core hit 15%. The only game that really heats up my system is supreme commander.

13. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    I have hit 460x9 (4140Mhz), but the voltage required was 1.6Volts and even at idle it was in the high 40's...After 3.7Ghz it takes ever more voltage to go higher,,not linear is what Im saying.

14. Welshsteel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I knew that was the case.. Thanks for the beta... I might do 3dmark at higher clocks on both the GPU and CPU just for the sake of it to get a higher score:p and then lower them again... One thing i have noticed is that there is no massive increase in performance during game play between around 3.4Ghz and 3.8Ghz.. I know it depends on what you use your rig for, but, there doesn't seem to be much of an improvement in gaming? Yes you get a higher 3dmark score but for me no visible improvement in games. What do you think?

15. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    In games, maybe 2-5Fps, hardly noticable if at all. 400Mhz isn't a huge difference for games.

Unraring files, compressing files, decoding, encoding, a big difference.

16. Welshsteel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cheers for your replys m8 :toast:

17. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    Hrmmm, I'm trying to see if this would fit on a MSI K9A2 Platinum motherboard with 4 sticks of ram....

18. echo75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    95 C is not tcase, Tcase for Q6600 is 72 C for GO version and 62.2 C for the B3 version

the confusion comes from the 2 terms Tcase and Tjunction

Tcase is what intel specifies
    Tjunction is the Max Core temps (intel is silent on this but it ranges between 95 C -100 C )

* Intel Processor Spec Finder: http://processorfinder.intel.com/Default.aspx

Intel Thermal Specifications:

(*) The thermal specification shown is the maximum case temperature at the maximum Thermal Design Power (TDP) value for that processor. It is measured at the geometric center on the topside of the processor integrated heat spreader.

(**) For processors without integrated heat spreaders such as mobile processors, the thermal specification is referred to as the junction temperature (Tj). The maximum junction temperature is defined by an activation of the processor Intel® Thermal Monitor. The Intel Thermal Monitor's automatic mode is used to indicate that the maximum TJ has been reached.

Gam'ster says thanks.
  19. Welshsteel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Batmang the OCZ v2 will fit that motherboard if you configure the fan direction out of the back of the case. :)

Echo75 that is the answer i was looking for, so the max temp you should allow the cores to go to is 72?

20. echo75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    nope , it can safely get up to 15 - 25 C from maximum Tjunction hence it can actually get up to 75- 80 . but just to be safe and prolong the life of my processor i wouldnt let it get beyound 75 C .