1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OCZ Vertex 4 256 GB

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Jul 19, 2012.

1. starstarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry I didn't read into the details on the 2nd page. But I am aware of a lot of recent reviews sprout up on many review sites which neglecting this fact and go ahead giving a high praise on the drive and the company. I truly hope TPU would not jump on this bangwagon as it caused quite a havoc to the already bad reputation on OCZ on Anand's review discussion.
  2. Mistral

Mistral

Thanks Received:
    Excellent review... though I finally caved in on the SSD question and ordered a Vortex 3 240 earlier this week. Was hard to resist on "sale" at $160. In a way, it's nice to see once again from TPU's review that it's not far behind the Vortex 4 in terms of performance. Will be forced to plug it on a sata II port anyway.
  3. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    that's why our benchmarks include SATA II data, 8% slower shouldn't be a big deal
  4. Major_A

Major_A

Thanks Received:
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm so effin tired of seeing SSD reviews where it's HDTune Pro, ATTO, CrystalDiskMark and Anvil, then the conclusion comes. I always like real world testing and you guys nailed it.
  5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Before I even clicked on the review I had the same thought, defintely LOLz factor. Hell, throw in a USB 2.0 memory stick too! :laugh:
  6. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    In case I missed it what kind of BSOD & how seeerious? Longterm effects of this on the data/drive?

Even still it got 9.7?

Im just starting to look at SSDs so excuse my ignorance but I would prefer no BSODs caused by my HDD. Especially one costing so much :eek:

Great review as always W1zz! :toast:
  7. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Oh snap! :laugh:
  8. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Are you suggesting me something scaminatrix? Lol

I read the review and from what I understand (which is limited hence my inquiries) is that updating the firmware caused the BSODs. I'd like some elaboration on that if possible and it's possible long term effects on the drive. I know squat about SSDs :eek:
  9. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I didn't quote you did I? ;) I was saying snap to W1zz calling starstarman out on not reading the whole review; then supplying the log where it shows he skipped straight from page 1 to page 11 :laugh:
  10. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    when i received the drive it had firmware 1.4.x. while running our test suite (which is running non-stop, continously = high io load) i would notice the system crash with a bluescreen.

after updating the firmware 1.5, the problem went away and the drive was 100% stable. i've had it run our test suite non-stop, back to back, for over 24 hours because i forgot that the system was running. and no bluescreens

personally, if i had an ssd that gives me bluescreens i'd try to rma it or get rid of it in any other way. of course after checking the problem is not on my end.
    PatoRodrigues and m1dg3t say thanks.
  11. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    No, but just the way the post was I wasn't sure :eek: So I asked.... :)

W1zz: Do you think Ocz will start shipping with updated firmwares? Good to know the drive has been stable since the update and thnx for the clarification :rockout:
  12. imitation

imitation New Member

Thanks Received:
    W1zz, could you check if the drive's performance degrades (like the 128GB version) when the drive is more than half-full?
  13. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    i'm quite surprised by the results
    lots and lots of users had problems with OCZ ssds
  14. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Those were sandforce vertex 3's
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. robal

robal

Thanks Received:
    I'd second that. It would be nice to have comparison to WD Raptor in these real life situations.
  16. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    I've been looking at this series of ssds, they seem pretty good. Now if I can get a good deal on them...