1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Odd 3dMark Vantage Problem

Discussion in 'General Software' started by OrbitzXT, Jan 29, 2010.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm using a 4870X2 and am attempting to overclock it. During one of Vantage's feature tests, "Test 3 // POM" the graphics seem....off. Well, the graphics themselves are fine but the rendering is like stuttering or twitching, as if it were out of sync. I ran Vantage and left to go shower before overclocking to have results to compare it to after overclocking, so I couldn't see if the issue occurred then. The issue still occurs even after resetting all Catalyst Control Center drivers to default.

Aside from that though, the entire test finished without any issues and I did gain 1300 points on my GPU score from raising the clocks to 800/1000 from the default 750/900. Temperatures are good, stability seems good, I was able to play a couple of games without any sort of issue. The ATI Overdrive test accepted the 800/1000 clocks and said Passed. If it matters I'm using the recently released 10.1 drivers.

Do you think this is a cause for concern or is my OC fine?
  2. zerotonin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same problem.

Test 3 // POM stutters really badly on all graphics qualities and settings for me as well. Using 2 radeon hd 4870s in crossfire, the issue goes away when I disable crossfire, but thats hardly a workaround lol.

I used the auto-tune feature in the overdrive section and it set both cards to run at 840/950. I hit the test clocks button for each card and they passed. I went on to use rivatuner to monitor the gpu temps during the 3dmark vantage run, and they never went above 68 degrees, which is only 3 degrees higher than it reported at idle.

Resetting the clocks on both cards to defaults, or disabling overdrive doesnt resolve the issue.

Ever since then, the test 3 // POM in 3dmark vantage has stuttered. I uninstalled the drivers, and reinstalled. Ive tested catalyst driver versions 9.11, 9.12, and 10.1, and all have the same issue.

The only thing that seems to fix the issue is disabling crossfire, which makes sense, since the stuttering issue looks like frames are being rendered out of order. The individual frames themselves contain no graphics glitches.

Browsing the web, I have found many similar stories, but no one with a solution. At one point I found a post which contained a link to the ATI website for a hotfix which supposedly resolved the issue, but the link is dead, and searching the ATI website reveals no hotfixes for this issue.

If anyone has found a solution please share!
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll have to try this. The feature tests aren't included in the overall score so I normally just deselect them.
    zerotonin says thanks.
  4. zerotonin New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought I had found a solution when I found that the problem went away when I disabled Catalyst AI, but looking into the issue further, I find that disabling Catalyst AI also disables crossfire, which is the same as the workaround I found earlier for this problem.
  5. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I have noticed this for some time now...never gave it much thought because all my games work and the bench completes with a score.
  6. zerotonin New Member

Thanks Received:
    I havent noticed issues in games either, and I suspected it might be a bug with vantage, but things like this just fester in the back of my mind. Nice overclock by the way DRDNA, only got mine up to 3.4ghz on a 24 hr basis, but thats on air cooling.

The other thing is I never noticed this issue before I tested the auto-tune feature on my cards, which is why this bothers me so much.
  7. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I see it at stock and overclocked...... Dont sweat it...but it would be nice to know.:confused:
  8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    This has been a problem since like 9.6 or 9.7 drivers, same problem on different boards, different OS, different VGA.
  9. zerotonin New Member

Thanks Received:
    I see, well thats good to know, thanks for the input everyone!