1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Odd message during secure HD deletion.

Discussion in 'Storage' started by $immond$, Nov 30, 2009.

1. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am currently in the process of deleting my hard drive on my ASUS M51SN (Absolutely poorest quality Laptop) with Kill Disk however after every pass I get this error message:

Error: Virus in boot sector
    Write: Y/N?

I press Y and it resumes the deletion, I have currently set Kill Disk to do 10 passes.
    I am not sure what to do or if I should just throw out my hard drive. Anyone else have had this problem? :banghead:

2. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am currently in the process of deleting my hard drive on my ASUS M51SN (Absolutely poorest quality Laptop) with Kill Disk however after every pass I get this error message:

"BootSector Write! VIRUS: Continue: (Y/N)?"

I press Y and it resumes the deletion, I have currently set Kill Disk to do 10 passes.
    I am not sure what to do or if I should just throw out my hard drive. Anyone else have had this problem? :banghead:

3. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't bump after 5 minutes. Give people a chance to help you.

4. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    The rest of the sweeps are just security sweeps. It should not ask you that question again since the virus has already been deleted.

5. $immond$ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think it may have been a setting in the bios. I stopped the hard drive deletion process and disabled the boot virus warning so I shouldn't get that message anymore and fyi admin I made a mistake in the error message. I didn't mean to "bump" before anyone could assist me. Thank you for your help though. I will post back if the message continues.