1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Odd problem I've never had before

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by casper250c, Dec 17, 2007.

1. casper250c New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok as of this morning my computer has been a total POS..

If I surf the web and that kind of thing this computer runs like a charm but as soon as I try to load a game and it don't matter which game SOF2 or COD4 or even NFS the machine restarts.. I've watched my temps since it started and they have been perfectly fine, I've scanned for viruses and spyware and found nothing.. I checked my RAM with memtest that turned out to be ok and even went as far as going back to stock clocks for everything but it still crashes every time I load a game..

The only thing I could remotely blame would be my PSU but the voltages accoding to the bios are within specs 3.2v, 5.1v, and 12v.. The 12volt is dead even at 12 while in the bios only is it possible that when I load a game that is dropping enough to crash me?

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Could it be the video card quitting when switched to 3D....try running 3D05-06 and see if they fail as well.

3. bcracer220 New Member

Thanks Received:
    what hes saying definitely makes the most sense, also download atitool and try to the check for artifacts test. and if ur card is oc/d make sure to set it back to stock.

4. casper250c New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I have not tried 3dm yet but i will shortly that's an interesting possibility I had not considered and why I came here for help :) TY..

I am currently running atitool's artifact test and it is perfect for the last 10 minutes with the fan set to 100% it is only getting up to 52c.. All clock speeds are currently at their default values cpu and gpu

5. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    What do the voltage readings show under load? For 12v, 5v, etc? Any of the dropping substantially?

I use Everest or Speedfan for monitoring these...

Just a thought! :toast:

casper250c says thanks.
  6. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

I was thinking the same thing - possibly a bad PSU.

Maybe the PCIE power connector wasn't seated and is loose (has happened before :eek:).

7. casper250c New Member

Thanks Received:
    Kursah, thank you I had completely forgotten about speedfan and that it can read the voltages.. Turns out that my PSU IS fried just idling doing nothing but running speedfan the 12v was at 11.37 as soon as I tried to load a game it dropped to 10.9v to 11v :( so at the moment I'm running on my old antec 380watt and I feel like I'm running a P2 again lol..

I was looking at getting 1 of these 2 PSU's which would you guys recommend

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2974582&body=MAIN

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256017

which would you guys recommend?

8. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Both are decent, and would treat you well. But if you're willing to spend that kind of money, get a Corsair HX620, or even the HX520 (I use one), both are great, stable, and have a 5 year warranty.

:toast:

9. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
  10. casper250c New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for the recommendations, I've decided to go with the Ultra since it's 750watts and puts out 50a on the 12v rail.. This time though I'll be sure to register it so I have the lifetime warrantee lol..

Considering I wasn't all that kind to my now dead Ultra PSU and it lasted 4 years without any trouble I couldn't fault the company I had actually not expected it to last as long as it did so I'll go with another 1 from them and if I get another 4 years I'll be happy as a pig in shit :p