1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Odd problem with overclocking

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by INSTG8R, Jul 18, 2012.

1. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Well it first started off when I noticed that my CPU wasn't ramping up past it's 1600Mhz idle clocks. Okay fine poke thru the BIOS redo the OC should be fine. Nope no change there either, so of course next step is to clear the CMOS and start fresh.

Well here is where it all went weird. Now in the BIOS it won't OC at all. Normally I would have the option to change my Multi. That option is GONE. I can't even select the XMP profile for my RAM(1600) that now comes up as overclock failed on restart.

The CPU ID's correctly in the BIOS(2600K) but yet I am offered no OC options.

I have tried reseating the CPU twice just to be sure(PITA on watercooling) Yet nothing changes. I have even attempted to reflash the BIOS with the latest.

I mean it seems to be running fine at stock clocks but I have lost the ability to adjust the Multi. It's like it has forgotten it is a K series CPU.

2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Weird. if it was a Gigabyte board, they used to hide the overclocking options with a secret keystroke, but you've got an ASUS.

If clearing the CMOS doesn't do it, try a flash (or recover from BIOS backup if there is one on your board)

3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Got the EPU switch or TPU switch enabled when clearing CMOS?

4. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Well it doesn't have a flash recover but I did try to reflash it again with the latest BIOS. It was really short when it did so I don't know that it really did reflash at all it just saw it was the same BIOS and said "done"

5. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't have the EPU or TPU switches(I know what your talking about I just built another ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 that had the switches) The Sabertooth has no switches. the EPU would be in the BIOS in the main page where my OC options are.

6. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    If it's a flash from windows maybe it doesn't do anything if the bios is the same. Flash from a DOS prompt?

7. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    No the BIOS has it's own Flash program built in(EZ Flash) So it has been flashed in the BIOS not in Windows.