1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Odd sound problem!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mdashoot, Mar 27, 2008.

1. mdashoot

mdashoot New Member

Thanks Received:
    first, I have an HT Omega Claro sound card and the logitech Z-5500's. I just connected my z-5500 back up to the pc because now I have room for them, the z-5500's are connected to the sound card using the digital toslink. Before this I was just using a set of 2 channel speakers with the one light green plug going in to the card and did not have a problem. Now the problem is im getting some kind of interference when I click an Icon, link, favorites and what not, sometimes the z-5500 pod is showing a signal when im browsing but no sound, the noise from the speakers is different also, sometimes high pitch and sometimes low. My next option is to try and go with a coax connection and see if mayabe its something to do with the digital signal. Ive tried the toslink that came with the card and a monster toslink and they both do it. Anybody have problems like this? or know what might be causing it?
  2. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Well I sometimes hear noises comeing form my speakers whenever I use my OnBoard Sound, like whenever I move the mouse and such.

Can you update drivers for your sound card, maybe that will fix it.
  3. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I was reading this on Newegg...

Cons: If you have VISTA you have to go and read the forum. www.cmedia.com. There you can download the latest drivers for VISTA !!! <-- a must

You can take a look.
  4. mdashoot

mdashoot New Member

Thanks Received:
    no vista and up to date drivers
  5. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Oops my bad, I should have checked that lol.
  6. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    mdashoot says thanks.
  7. mdashoot

mdashoot New Member

Thanks Received:
    im going to try the coax first, if that doesnt fix it then I might do that but I think it might be a prob with the z-5500's. I just read a thread in the logitech forum where a guys optical toslink cable from the z-5500 was interfering with his wireless connection. Im not having any problems with my router but it could be related.
  8. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I get the funny feeling it might be more relate to EMI on the soundcard, and possibly also power differences in the line feeding the speakers coming from the wall outlet.

If you have the space on your board, try moving the sound card as far away from other components as possible. I'm thinking it might possibly be picking up interference from the motherboard's USB hubs . . .

Also, if you don't have a UPS, try plugging the speaker's power feed into a decent surge protector and see if that makes any improvement.
    mdashoot says thanks.
  9. mdashoot

mdashoot New Member

Thanks Received:
    the card is as far away as it can be from other components as it can be and the power from the speakers is plugged into a good surge protector. I also just got done organizing all the speaker wires and power cords so they are away from each other, so now im going to attempt to use a digital coax connection and see if that helps.
  10. mdashoot

mdashoot New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, same thing with digital coax, but I did fix the problem by turning off the souds for windows explorer in the control panel.