1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

odd WIN problem

Discussion in 'General Software' started by imperialreign, Mar 4, 2008.

1. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    odd issue with XP that's driving me up the wall . . .

random program crashes and lockups, but the OS doesn't crash or lockup

for example - running TweakUI, as soon as I hi 'OK' to apply changes, it hangs and stays that way - I have to manually close the program.

Other programs that make changes to the registry and what not do similar things, but I can close them down manually.

This is the 3rd install of XP within the last couple of days on the same rig where this has happened, and it usually ends up with the OS starting to become further unstable with this problme becoming more common as I get further along with installing drivers and applications . . .

I'm considering doing one more complete format of the HDD instead of a quick format, and then another clean install.

Also thinking it might be an outdated BIOS (brand new X38 mobo); thinking about downloading the newest BIOS from ASUS as well . . .

any ideas, oh ye XP gurus?
  2. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    A fresh install won`t help if the last two failed. More likely to be a loose connector/ram/psu problem. Tho` I wouldn`t know which