1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Odd wireless NIC issue

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by hat, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I used to do this. I used to use wireless just for network bridging. DD-WRT makes this super easy.

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    TP link have wireless 'client routers' for wifi ISP's (they call it WISP)

they work even better and simpler than the bridging - you log into it once, run the setup wizard which finds your wifi, you type in the password and bam - it acts like you're connected over wired (IP straight from the primary router), and you can run a switch for multiple devices, with the wifi speed being the only limit.

benefit is detachable aerial and you can move it around a lot easier, i used to do it to share wifi with a neighbour.

3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    How is it better? There isn't a difference between routers and software being used in this fashion if the router supports making a wireless network bridge regardless of how it's setup, it's doing the same thing.

Also, how is connecting to an SSID from DD-WRT hard? I found it to be incredibly easy to configure for this purpose and doens't limit you to TP-Link devices.

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    TP links client mode acts like a regular wifi client - you dont need a supported original router with bridging enabled, its 100% compatible with any wifi - ad hoc, hotspots, etc.