1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OEM/Retail OS's

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Cyvain, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Cyvain

Cyvain New Member

Thanks Received:
    Basically I am confused as to whether its ok to use an OEM version for my own personal use on my PC system or if I have to use a retail version. Read so many different things on the subject I am confused.

2. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    When I build my own system i choose the OEM versions. Don't ask why, just check amazon and u'll see it is in brackets "this software is intended for system builders only" :p

Cyvain says thanks.
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It is perfectly fine to use the OEM version on your own personal computer. You just won't have any support for Microsoft, the OEM that install the software is supposed to support it. So if you install it, you become the OEM, and have to support it yourself. That that the lack of support is a big deal, these forums will have that covered probably better than Microsoft can.:laugh:

Also, know that you can't transfer your OEM copy to another computer if you ever switch to a new computer, legally you're supposed to buy a new copy. The retail version can be transferred to a different computer.

[Ion], Cyvain and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    but if i changed my mobo and accidentally tried activqating it on the "new" system their isnt any kind of hidden hardware lock in 8?

5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    No, it will work. "Legally" you cant transfer but it will work. I have changed every part in my PC twice over and I have OEM. Activation always works without issue. OEM is the way to go. You just cant call MS for questions, you have to talk to yourself. Which I'm ok with :rolleyes:

6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Ms will support you if you pay.

And if the activation for some reason will not happen automagically you might be out of luck. If you have a retail key that for some reason is locked entirely you can get a new key. Not so much if it's OEM. It usually isnt a problem, but my time at ms tech support tought be that weird things happen sometimes that are not supposed to happen and if you have a retail key you have a bit more backup.

If you are unwilling to just crack the activation thing that is. And i kinda am so i tend try to stick to retail.

7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Sort of, it might not activate via the online activation process, but you have to call to activate it.

I have had it not activate via the online method, but calling to activate usually works. Though I did finally exhaust one of my Win7 keys to the point that they blacklisted it and wouldn't even activate it over the phone.

Aquinus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  8. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yes, OEM is ok for your own personal system. I've normally used retail versions for one reason or another though, for example, TechNet.

9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    +1: I've known this process oh so well. More often than not you will need to talk to someone because the hardware is activated on different hardware. Occasionally you will get a key that will activate multiple times, but you have to remember that even though it works, M$ is watching the activations so if there are suddenly a lot of activations they'll invalidate the key.

10. Frick

Thanks Received:
    And if they are doing their job they wouldnt help you.

11. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Sure, a lot of them fudge it, but I've had them reset it so it will activate on the new hardware. The catch is that it will stop working on the hardware that it was activated for. Back in the days of XP it was a lot more like that where they didn't care and just activated just about everything. IIRC MS's EULA lets you transfer keys but not use them on multiple machines for both retail and oem keys.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  12. Frick

Thanks Received:
    You can't transfer OEM's. It is the point of them. Even if you change hardware because of a failure that key is "spent" (if the hardware ID change). if they helped you for any reason, no matter what crying story you came up with, they were not doing their jobs properly.

And I still maintain using the term "M$" should be considered trolling.

13. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Corrected if you're really that sensitive about it. :(