1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OEMs Ready USB3.0R-P2-PCIe Add-On Card Based On New Renesas Chipset

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Feb 24, 2012.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    OEMs are readying USB 3.0 PCIe add-on cards based on the reference design "USB3.0R-P2-PCIe", which will be sold through several vendors such as Buffalo. These cards take advantage of the new Renesas μPD720202 chipset, which is known to be more cost-effective, faster, and power-efficient than the μPD720200A, which it succeeds. The μPD720202 features a 40% performance boost over previous generation, the card has a redesigned circuit that reduces electrical leakage when in power-saving mode, when the chip consumes about 4.5 mW. The card gives out two USB 3.0 ports, and draws power from a 15-pin SATA power connector, instead of 4-pin Molex or Berg connectors. The PCB is compact, half-height, and hence low-profile capable. Cards should include low-profile brackets.

[​IMG]

Source: PC Watch

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    would be better if they included an internal USB 3 connector on the PCB for front panel.

3. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede

Thanks Received:
    The μPD720202 is only a two port controller, a card with the μPD720201 would do the trick though.

Not sure what's news in this story though, as cards with both controllers have been on sale for quite some time already.

4. wickerman

wickerman

Thanks Received:
    I like seeing SATA power connectors on things as well, 4-pin molex is so old-hat and I hate wrestling with those damn things when the pins start to get loose and get misaligned. But I agree with buggalugs, internal USB 3.0 would be handy for internal connectors especially since most of the earlier and low/mid range boards don't have the USB 3.0 connections. But I'm sure there will be a version of this card that will do just that.

5. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede

Thanks Received:
  6. MrMilli

MrMilli

Thanks Received:
    +1
    On modular PSU's i had to specially plug in those molex cables just for these cards.

7. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received: