1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Offensive to a Black person?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by F-22, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F-22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's the setting: I'm in a Citizen's Advisory Board meeting, It's before the meeting has started so everybody is talking and walking around, and it's a room full of white people.

I needed some information from someone named, Carl. So I asked one of the administrators, "Who's Carl". This was her response "He's that guy in the... uh... peach colored shirt". I looked back for a few seconds for the guy in the peach colored, and to my surprise he's the only black guy in the room.

Now, here's what's bothering me. To me, she was trying to think of a way to describe him leaving out the color of his skin as it might be offensive because the color of his skin is something to be ashamed of.

Now, is it more offensive to so obviously beat around the bush like that and create an comfortable moment because his skin color might be something to be ashamed of, OR, is it more offensive to simply say, "The black guy over there"?

IMO, PC is getting waaay out of hand and it's confusing people. I try to put myself in his shoes as if I'm the only white person in the room. "The white guy over there" seems just fine to me instead of trying to pretend that all people look the same. People don't all look the same, and it's OK!
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  2. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    If you say black around a black guy, be prepared to get beaten to death by himself and 20 of his buddies.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    That is more offensive than the thing F-22 was in.

I guess it depends a lot. I know a black guy who's a farmer in a very small place in Sweden. He wanted to name the farm "The Niggerfarmer in Alsen", but the authourities said "nonono..". The black guy just said: "But I am a nigger!" But he couldn't do it anyway, but he painted it on one of his tractors.

And yes, it's a true story.

But then, nigger in sweden is probably way different than nigger in the US though..
  4. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    it all depends, and its easy to tell if someone is trying to belittle you.
  5. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Down here in the south everyone calls each other Nigga this and Nigga that.:)
  6. Huxley2k7

Huxley2k7

Thanks Received:
    It's a hard one to answer really.

Let's say there's two white guys in the room, and all the others are black. You ask one of the white guys 'Who is so and so?' Is he going to say 'The white guy over there!' or is he going to say 'the guy in the peach suit'? In my honest opinion, that white guy is not going to say 'The white guy!', he's going to say 'the guy in the peach suit' because the majority of white people don't distinguish between the race of another white person when they describe another white guy.

'Black', as far as im concerned, doesn't just describe ones skin color, it describes their race. If the only guy in the room was Jewish, would the guy say ''The jew over there''? I don't think so.

It just comes down to lazyness. If white people can/have been distinguishing between other white people for centuries without describing their skin tone, why can't they do it for Black guys? Because 'black' is the easiest, and most obvious way to describe that person, which isn't fair. Im confusing myself now, basically i try to describe that person, and resort to 'skin tone' last. If they're fat, then they're the fat guy, if they're spotty, they're the spotty guy. Then again, if he was a Chinest person, i would say 'The chinese guy'. But that's not describing his skin-color, it's his nationality/race. I mean, would you say 'The YELLOW guy?'

It's a hard one, i've confused myself now.
  7. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Up here in the north too.
    "Sup nigga?!"
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL ... I can see why you are confusing yourself.

I disagree. In a room full of black people the white guy would most likely say something like, "the other white guy over there". It would be the easiest way to identify him.

That's really funny. We are talking about physical identifying traits. There is no way someone could identify someone by stating their nationality or religious affiliation. Remember not all native africans are black.

Because in a group of similar people it is impossible to identify someone when everyone fits the description. If you are in a group of white people and you responded with, "He's the white guy", people would look at you like you were an idiot because everyone there is white.

It has nothing to do with fair. It is simply the fastest way to identify a person in a crowd. If someone had a gigantic wart on their nose and you said, "He's the guy with the gigantic wart on his nose" are you being unfair or just using the most obvious physical trait to identify the person?

So using fat, spotty or Chinese is any better than saying black?

Skin color does not really have anything to do with it unless it is the most obvious way to identify someone, and if not done in a derogatory manner should not offend them.

One of my best friends is a big black guy and when someone asks for him by name I point and say, "He's the big black guy". He has no problem with that, nor should he.
  9. Munkul New Member

Thanks Received:
    personally, i think this situation sucks.
    if there had never been any of this slavery or racial abuse over the years, we would be able to say "the black guy" (the easiest way to distinguish in this case) without giving any offence to anyone :banghead:

well, im sure many black people wouldnt care about being called "black" - after all, i am "white"
    any "black" people care to explain their feelings on this? :cool:

and regarding homie-talk, we talk like that all the time, calling each other "nigga" etc in a crap fake accent (theres no black people in our area hardly at all) blame San Andreas for that lol
    i think that we have a perfect right to use that kind of language-if not, then we are being racially discriminated :eek:

saying that, i would never use that kind of language in a multi-ethnic environment, (nor any formal function either lol) and am not biased either way regarding black people.

i just feel that we should all get along together, with no discrimination, but also accepting the fact that some people have a different skin colour.
    'course its never gonna happen, its called real life :eek:

(hope ive not offended anyone by this :rolleyes:)
  10. mdashoot

mdashoot New Member

Thanks Received:
    I always describe someone as the black guy or the white guy or the asian guy, I wouldnt say chineese, or japanese because if they hear you and they are tai then they will be pissed. Whats funny about this is I was watching the news a while back and they were talking about the guy who punched the old lady and took her purse. But when they were describing him they mentioned everything accept that he was black, this racial profiling thing is getting way out of hand and everybody is scared to say anything.
  11. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Can't say we do that much around here in MA...:laugh:.
  12. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    In Bradford, me and my friends say that all the time...
  13. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Ah, but see, you don't have black people that hang around in packs just waiting to gang up on the first person to "be hatin' on one of his bruthas" ;).

Anyways. I'm totally with you, F-22. "Political correctness" is all bollucks, and is the perfect example of good intentions gone horrible.
    F-22 says thanks.
  14. Huxley2k7

Huxley2k7

Thanks Received:
    Well, to be quite honest, i don't think a bunch of white guys can sit around and dictate whether certain parts of political correctness is bullshit or not. That is the very root of the problem. Then again, thats opening up a whole other can of worms, so i won't take it any further.
  15. Munkul New Member

Thanks Received:
    as opposed to yardies (gangs in manchester, mainly black) who call each other every racist cracker name on the planet, yet would probably blast down on you for just looking "whitey"

its not just white people that can be racist, these days its (sometimes) the other way round....
  16. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Which is more OFFENSIVE? (alternatively, which is the more polite form of address or description?)

1./ The lady over there, or
    2./ The person over there wearing a skirt
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
    F-22 says thanks.
  17. Munkul New Member

Thanks Received:
    :confused: neither?
  18. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Me and my friends are white.

AFAIK, there aren't any packs of black ppl waiting to gang up. There are white people that do that here, but they're all pussies, and can't fight. Out of everyone I see every day, maybe 3% of them are black... (that's a high estimate)
  19. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Well its all in the delivery.

I used to work with a black guy that was 6.6 390lbs. Him and I ended up to be pretty good friends but it always wasn't that way. One day he was talking some trash to another friend of mine and I told him to "shut the Fuçk up grape ape!". Now Im no small guy. Im 6.1 260lbs but this guy would kill me. But I said it with authority and with respect to him as a man he took it for what it was. He could have taken it as an insult him being a huge black man but he was also wearing a purple shirt.

Calling a black guy black isn't an insult unless you mean it as one. However calling a black man a nigger is nothing but an insult and shouldn't be used unless you mean it. If I were at this meeting I would have just said. "Carl is that black dude over there!" and if asked why I didnt say "Carl is the guy in the peach shirt" I would just tell them "Im color blind" :)
  20. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Problem is people all ways calling this race thing and makes people worryied about how to reply in a lot of cases it ends up sounding worse as there's near all ways some thing that can be criticized about the reply given.

Just how petty this planets gotten it's sick..... If you have a issue about the reply maybe let them know in sted of calling racist.
  21. F-22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think this is a bad analogy because If it's a room full of white people - you can't say, "that jew over there" because it's not obvious as to whom you're talking about.
  22. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    TBH, I really think it boils more down to regional differences than anything else.

Around here, referring to black people as 'black' is not considered offensive, but the list of terms they WILL find offensive are too long to go into. People here consider "African American" to be deragatory, unless they're off african descent.

Black people here refer to us white people as 'white' - we don't find it offensive. "Whitey" on the other hand, is.

we commonly refer to all asian ethnicities as asian, and all hispanic ethnicities as hispanic.

upstart kids are labeled as "dumbasses" no matter what their race here.

But, see, my point being is that what people here don't find offensive, someone else in some other region would.

Native Americans here are refered to as American Indians, and that has a lot to do with the strong american indian influence and presence still in this region. Being the oldest region in the country, many locality names, road names, neighborhoods, cities, landmarks, etc are american indian words, and there are still a few reservations hidden away around here.
  23. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess it's just too hard to say, "That's him over there"{pointing}. But having been in the same situation as that woman, thats what I did. There is no need to treat him any different than any other human, forget the PC crap, just treat him like a person.

:toast:
  24. Woah Mama! New Member

Thanks Received:
    You know, I can't actually agree with myself on something to write. People need to stop being so 1920s. I thought someone of a different race to yourself would be glad that you acknowledge them as an equal person by not being afraid to say something like "He is that black dude over there in the peachy coloured shirt" and etc.

It's like those Catholics who think Jesus cries when you swear, no he fucking doesn't. But, I guess we cannot rely on us as a species to be able to completely accept everyone for who they are.
  25. Munkul New Member

Thanks Received:
    How does that relate to this issue :confused:
    i see no conection. if thats what they want to believe, who are you to tell them otherwise?

(im not catholic btw)