1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

office 365 vs office 2013

Discussion in 'General Software' started by freebird_9924, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Totally depends on what exactly you are doing. My brother does fairly complex stuff with both Word and Excel, and he still says Libre/Open is not as good as MS Office.
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    That is why I said "for basic tasks"...
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I'll bet Office is still the only suit that can do the really complex tasks? You pay for that. ;) I think if the free software* could start offering similar features then the open source model could really be said to work.

Having said this, I still know hardly anyone who uses the advanced functions of Office, regardless of version though. Seriously, at work many of them they can barely change the bloody font size and have almost no concept of files and folders, let alone do anything else. <facepalm>

*I'm not talking just Office, but more generally. Whenever you see free versions of programs such as Photoshop etc, they're always lacking in some way compared to their really expensive counterparts with all the awful DRM baked into them. The Linux kernel itself and some of the more advanced distros seem to be the exception. I suspect that this is the biggest reason for open source not taking over from paid software.

It sounds like I should start a new thread comparing these two software development models. :p
  4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Blablabla. :eek: