• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Office Printer & Windows 7

OrbitzXT

System Name AX-01
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K @3.7 GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Cooling Zalman 9700
Memory Kingston HyperX T1 Series 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ
Video Card(s) GTX 590
Storage Intel X25-M
Display(s) 42" Samsung LED HDTV
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1
Power Supply Kingwin 1000W
Software Windows 7 64-Bit
Most of the computers in my offices at work have Windows XP on them at the moment. I'm slowly converting them over to Windows 7 but have hit a bit of a roadblock. We have this big printer/scanner/copier in the front that is connected to the office network, so for example you can scan a bunch of documents and have the PDFs sent to a particular computer. I have a Windows 7 computer all set up, but the PDF is not reaching the computer after it scans.

I imagine there is something I'm doing wrong with the sharing process on the Windows 7 computer. Enabling sharing is pretty easy on XP, I thought I had everything set up on Windows 7 for sharing but apparently not. Any thoughts on what I can check to get this working?

System Name If you name your systems, get a boy/girlfriend...
Processor i7 4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Custom waterloop around Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Case HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Windows 10 x64
Hi,

Does your printer use Windows shares (//computername/share) to save PDFs to networked machines ?
If yes, maybe you need to enable "legacy" encryption for shares on Win7. You'll find it in Network and Sharing center -> sharing.

If that doesn't help, try modifying permissions on shared folders (right click -> share with -> 'everyone').

A very non-elegant approach is to go to folder properties and manually edit security, and add read/write permission for "NETWORK".

I hope one of these helps you.

BTW... If your XP machines can access shares on Win7 machines is seems all should be OK.

Cheers,