1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Official 4870 Reviews

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by razaron, Jun 25, 2008.

1. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
  2. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This pretty much sums it up:
    [​IMG]
  3. OEGUSAndy

OEGUSAndy New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    crazy....
  5. paulo7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like may only need one of them then crossfire in say 6 months,

Anyone found them for sale anywhere there looks like it might just be a paper launch, but guess cant complain too much!

Why do you think it doesnt perform too well in oblivion?

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=19

Id say this review is pretty good too!

Just sold 8800 gts 640 for £85 what to get!! Need something soon though as rele missing Grid!!
  6. From_Nowhere New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, it is about time there was some real competition in the graphics card market... it was too green for a while there.

Looks like I might be buying myself a 4870 in the near future :toast:
  7. OEGUSAndy

OEGUSAndy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here in Spain 4850 sells for 165€ and i supose 4870 will sell for 225€ as soon as it apears i wonder if i should buy one for me :) or wait for the 4870x2
  8. Gam'ster

Gam'ster New Member

Thanks Received:
    £220+ in uk for pre-order id wait a week or two but of course this is ocuk pricing :D lol
  9. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think this is (and will always be IMHO) the best RV770 review so far.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=18

TBH, now that I know everything about RV770, I take my hat off. AMD has pulled ahead a winner this time. Not so much on the performance front given the specs, take into account they have multiplied SP and TMU numbers by 2,5x and in most cases they don't reach 1.8-2x the performance of RV670 (not that GT200 is doing any better though). But they have managed to do it extremely cheap. IMHO RV770 is nowhere near being a small chip at nerly 1 billion transistors, but they found the way to sell the cards at $200-$300 and that's quite an achievement for such a chip. I had my reservations because 800 SPs didn't fit well on the 800 million transistor count, in the end it is a lot bigger (and utterly the people who say 800 SPs on 800 million transistors was impossible to achieve were right, we were right :D), but they managed to reduce the costs somehow and that's very impressive.

I have some concerns though:

1- The chip could have better performance-per-watt ratio, as the monolithic GT200 is better, AND is 65nm AND has 32 ROPs. The ROP count does affect the consumption, while is probably not offering better scores. By this I mean that an hypothetic 55nm GT200 with less ROPs could be way ahead on this front and AMD could gave fixed this better.

2- The chip itself consumes a lot, it even consumes more than 8800 GT SLI, while offering less overall performance. HD4870 CF's consumption is not so far from 9800 GX2 and GTX280 SLI's power consumption either, meaning that the X2 won't be as good a solution as it first could appear.

All in all the chip is impressive for the price segment, but it fails to impress me in the performance front when I look at the specs. Power consumption and heat are not very good neither, which it leaves me with the feeling that AMD is just playing very hard on prices with this one (as is doing with Phenoms), even risking profits, and that the card should be quite a bit more expensive to be as profitable as previous cards. AMD had to play this game, as for them gaining back the lost market share is vital in this moment, but I hope it doesn't bite them in the long term. That or I hope I am wrong in my assumption.

Either way the cards are marbles for us consumers. Let the price battle begin!
  10. paulo7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think the performance u desire should be improved with drivers etc as then heat issues etc hopefully be dealt with what a card!!
  11. paulo7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ps is ocuk the only retailer to have them thus far??

Bit overpriced atm :-(
  12. OEGUSAndy

OEGUSAndy New Member

Thanks Received:
    :toast::toast::toast:
    I really hope that drivers will mature in time and we will see beter scalability. Time will tell. I honestly believe that this is the worst time to buy a video card. I will wait at least till 4870x2 will came out. Hopefully nvidia will have a response?!!? A good one i hope!!
  13. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    from now am trust only in tomshardware test or our test, cuz am confused form tests, some site support amd other site nvidia , in another threat is see the gtx280 more than 2*4870 , also am sure with my self it wrong
  14. OEGUSAndy

OEGUSAndy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  15. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry but I never buy the "drivers will increase performance" argument, until I see that happening, which is very very few times.

The hardware was finalized a fair amount of months ago, and they've been tweaking the drivers since then. If they couldn't squeeze out all the performance for the release drivers then, I don't think they are going to be able to improve it too much later. New drivers DO improve performance sometimes, but only on newer games where the "tweaking" has not been made yet.

It's a good time to buy a card! Well better wait 2-4 weeks, until prices stabilize and all, but IMHO the X2 has some chances of being a no-go.

As to Nvidia's response. It will surely come. GT200b is not so far in time, I think, and has high chances of success, if it's not only a die srhink and is something like G92 was. GT200 has too many "redundant silicon" (any better way to express it?) that can be taken out in order to make it competitive. Even a simple die shrink can change the things a lot for GT200 (for good), don't buy the Inquirer's crap on this subject.
  16. OEGUSAndy

OEGUSAndy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Time will tell. This is exciting though. We are a team here and jsut starting an project to build gaming rigs. We really wanna start with nehalem. So we have time. Meantime, research research researc.:)
  17. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you are waiting for Nehalem, you have time indeed. :)
  18. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    no 4870 reviews from tpu today ... no cards arrived here in time
  19. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Rip off merchants. I've boycotted as they're Customer Service is virtually non-existant!

That's a shame, but something to look forward to.
  20. Gam'ster

Gam'ster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah there at least £30 more on some cards than scan etc..
  21. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes they can have a decent special offer, but like I said, it's the customer service that sucks monkey balls.
  22. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
    that is amazing performance in crossfire! bring on the 4870x2 lol :)
  23. wolf2009 Guest

thats sad .
  24. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    :cry::cry:
    :banghead: I hope is not any indication of the supply of these cards.
  25. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    That Anandtech reviews is crap who wants to see a card run with no A/A. The only time he turned it on really was in games that appear to like AMD. I love AMD but the 4870 is not a giant improvement at all over current geforce cards (ATI cards yes except the 3870x2). The other review had amost no real world game bench marks. I don't think this is a AMD saver like we thought. The geforce cards when overclocked will beat on the 4870 watch and see and I know it is early but it appears not to overclock well. It is a good card but not much if at all better than Geforces cards from two years ago. I'm wondering as well it looks like the 9800gtx and 8800gts, gt aren't using the new drivers are ref clocked models. Example I was lead to believe the 9800gtx has faster ram than the 9800gtx+ so hows it score lower. I really wanted the 4870 to do better than this. It still is a very good card and hopefully has a better cooler than the 4850.