1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Official AMD Radeon 6000 Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by TechPowerUp Forums, Jul 28, 2010.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This is the back of a Cayman XT:

[​IMG]

You can confirm it's not Barts', looking at the power input.

Do you seriously see a 512-bit memory interface there? :wtf:
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you need to take a break from this thread. Who cares what other people say? It's all speculation including what you post. There is no official announcement yet on specifications.

That being said, everyone keep things clean, on topic and civil. If you cannot handle it, you have no reason to post in this thread. People are going to speculate and others are going to say they're wrong. It's a speculation thread and that's the way it is.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Nope! ;)

But it wouldn't be the first time ATi shipped out early cards that weren't fully capable...I can basically guarantee that the ram on that card is crap....

What's more, is that those early benches were supposed to come from that exact card...but then the benches were said to be Barts...so I think that this here card is a doppelganger. :laugh:
  4. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    After looking at the kind of clock speeds AMD's GPU memory controllers achieve compared to NVIDIA's in the current generation, I'd say you're misinformed.
  5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm. Interesting thought, that one. But what I meant is I think final cards will have much better ram than that particular one does...ergo, any early benches mean nothing.

;)
  6. SNICK

SNICK New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
  8. Rebelstar

Rebelstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if microstutter problem with eyefinity+crossfire will exist with new 6XXX series? I'm competely frustrated and angry cuz of microstutter I'm getting with CF. To have smooth gameplay I need to disable one of my 5850s, then game runs smoother even on 40-50 fps than 70+ fps on CF with stuttering problems. I sent tonns of inquires to AMD Survey form since 10.3 driver released and the problem still exists, it's SO annoying! :mad::banghead:
  9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    That's not Microstutter. Similar behavior, different cause. True "Microstutter" is caused by gpu utilization being maxed out on one card, but not the other(Microstutter is a "stutter" in the speed the frames are rendered) , while what you are experiencing is a newly-introduced behavior caused by cpu limitations.

Unfortunately, not even an overclocked i7 980x @ 4.0ghz fully fixes this issue, but I can safely say that a better cpu will help alleviate that problem. The extra driver usage from managing the load between the cards, etc, is the root cause.

I'm left dealing with the same issue...I simply pulled the useless second card, as testing showed the second useless in almost every situation....high framerates in # of rendered frames, but worse gameplay experience.

That, and Eyefinity are the two things I am looking to be fixed, otherwise, I'm gonna skip AMD cards and "go green" 100%.
    Rebelstar says thanks.
  10. Rebelstar

Rebelstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    So there is only 2 ways left? To use single ATI card or two gtx4XX?
  11. yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    looks like the back of a fire pro to me. :rolleyes: have you confirmed this?
  12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    As much as it pains me to say so, it does seem that way. I am not 100% sure, yet, but I have been investigating this exact situation, and am not currently pleased with the results.

So far, I have come to the conclusion that the 5970, which is the only card to support both Crossfire and Eyefinity originally, is the only suitable option for both technologies.

I tried every possible thing to fix the issue, without any luck, and over time, all I find is there are far more people faced with these issues than is immediately evident. Yours is the newest that I add to the list.
  13. cheezburger

cheezburger New Member

Thanks Received:
    no...i only see daul 6pin on the board. like cypress, cayman is going to have 6pin+8pin or dual 8pins. and the pcb layout prove it's just mid range board rather than high end. the wiring reminds me of 9600gt reference. unless you're telling me they are going to sell a mid range spec for 500 dollars....

and about 512bit bus...have you ever consider what happen if board maker like asus/msi/gigabite/visiontek decide to make cost down board? adapting 256bit bus while fully rely on memory speed can only work on reference design. but what happen to cost down version? haven't you forgotten about how 4870 GDDR3 and gt240 GDDR3 suffer in performance? i'm not quitely insist on 512bit bus design but cayman will be anything above 256bit. larger bus won't be effected much by any cost down solution but narrow bus will certainly effecting its performance.

for example 9600/9800gt are 256bit bus while 4670/4770 are 128bit. but when gose to cost down from GDDR5/GDDR3 to GDDR2 the first suffer will be the narrow 128bit of 4670/4770 and larger bus 9600/9800gt will still maintain larger bandwidth then narrow bus
  14. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Strange there hasn't been any more leaks as of late. What if the Barts are the higher performing parts while Caymen was the mid range part? That would be good way to keep people from knowing the truth. Just a thought...
  15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

If you look at the red PCI-E cable connector, there is a faint line that separates the 6 pin from the +2 pin connector.
    crazyeyesreaper says thanks.
  16. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    word
  17. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    on the street is HD 6870 is going to kick some royal aris ;)
  18. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    haha yep. I truly think that these next 6 months, Nvidia is going to be in worse shoes than ATi was with the HD 2XXX series.
  19. cheezburger

cheezburger New Member

Thanks Received:
    you sure have good eye:eek:

well this may still turn out to be 512bit if the memory bus can be tweak from 8rop/64bit per cluster to 16rops/128bit cluster and each ram chip sustaining 64bit and it may still match that 8x config (64x8 =512)

well if we compare to fermi and r520 we can find a lot of common between them. late launch, lower yield. no physical product on the shelve until two months later. larger die and runs very hot and power hungry compare to g70 and cypress counterpart. both suffer serious delay and which affecting their next gen road map. not surprise kepler will be another r600 when confront 28nm southern islands. so either 40nm northern islands or 28nm southern islands will become the next 8800gtx and no competition for a while.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  20. yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    no, whatever that card is, it has a 256bit memory interface based on the pcb, there's no if ands or buts about it.

for me the only thing is what that card is, as I put up it's VERY similar to the current firepro line up. being that we know caymen is going to be different I'd think we'd be seeing it in the pcb as the fire pro lineup is made up of cypress xt gpus.
  21. Achilles1600

Achilles1600 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  22. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:

Uh, dude, don't listen to slides that don't even have the proper specs for already listed cards(mainly 5870). It's so wrong it's almost spam.
  23. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    uh? what's wrong about the HD5870?
  24. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    this thread is becoming a soap opera, I just need to read it every day to keep up with the latest goss :)
    JATownes says thanks.
  25. cheezburger

cheezburger New Member

Thanks Received:
    because there are so many pro amd/anti amd there and some nvidia spy just have to mess around this board.....48rops on 256bit bus...my ass